Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Ashes 2017-18

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

My team from the BBC's options:

Hutton
    Sutcliffe
    Bradman
    Barrington
    Steve Waugh
    Miller
    Knott
    Warne
    Larwood
    Lillee
    Thomson

Wanted to pick Deadly but how can you leave Warne out?

Drop a quickie then!
    Can't do it!

You are limited as to your format. The choice was Warne or Underwood. (Along with other spin options).
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

Hutton
    Sutcliffe
    Bradman
    Barrington
    Steve Waugh
    Miller
    Knott
    Warne
    Larwood
    Lillee
    Thomson

Drop a quickie then!
    Can't do it!

You are limited as to your format. The choice was Warne or Underwood. (Along with other spin options).
    Len, you don't have to do what the BBC tell you.
  • Options
    A shambolic team building exercise in 2013...

• Options

Seeing I’m a bit on the round side, you could have a tubby combined England/Australia Test 11

Taylor
    Boon
    Cowdrey
    Gatting
    Lehmann
    Samit
    Botham (in his later years only and I’m scratching a bit here)
    Warne
    Hughes
    Gough (possibly a bit harsh)
    Ormond

Anybody think of a wicky, they tend to be on the slighter side, at the moment I’m sticking the pads on Boon. Another team that could hammer a few beers

The late Colin Millburn would walk into that team.

I thought about Milburn, wasn’t sure many would remember him and I was little when he retired. Amazing he continued to play after his accident
  • Options

Seeing I’m a bit on the round side, you could have a tubby combined England/Australia Test 11

Taylor
    Boon
    Cowdrey
    Gatting
    Lehmann
    Samit
    Botham (in his later years only and I’m scratching a bit here)
    Warne
    Hughes
    Gough (possibly a bit harsh)
    Ormond

Anybody think of a wicky, they tend to be on the slighter side, at the moment I’m sticking the pads on Boon. Another team that could hammer a few beers

The late Colin Millburn would walk into that team.

I thought about Milburn, wasn’t sure many would remember him and I was little when he retired. Amazing he continued to play after his accident
    You're making me feel old.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

LenGlover said:

Hutton
    Sutcliffe
    Bradman
    Barrington
    Steve Waugh
    Miller
    Knott
    Warne
    Larwood
    Lillee
    Thomson

Drop a quickie then!
    I did this afternoon in the office, had everyone running towards the boundary.
  • Options

Not Ashes related but just got confirmation I was successful in the ballot for Aus ODI tickets and India test tickets at The Oval next summer, will be my first live international cricket.

Nice!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Looks like rain mate.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

A shambolic team building exercise in 2013...

Still no excuse for quitting half way through the series Mr Swann.
    Interesting that his side of the story is that it was Andy Flower who told him to go home

• Options
    And it's taken him 3 years to reveal that?
  • Options
    For the record I would have taken Plunkett in the original squad.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Great bowler, and was loved by many , sad that most people will remember him by his feeble exit from the Ashes - inexcusable.
    I dislike him simply by one decision.
  • Options

For the record I would have taken Plunkett in the original squad.

Surely he is our quickest fit bowler? In Australia you need pace. This regime seem to pigeon hole players into Test, ODI and T20 with very little movement between each code.
  • Options
    I am actually looking forward to the series now. Just a short while ago I could see nothing but a thrashing but something has made me more optimistic. I can't put my finger on it, maybe it's because so much has gone wrong in the last year or so. We haven't found anyone to open with Cook, we haven't got 3&5 sorted properly and we've lost our number 1 all-rounder, for now at least. We've lost seam bowler after seam bowler and for all Moin's stats we do not have a Test class spinner in the squad. I just can't see it getting worse and this is an opportunity for many to step-up and make a name for themselves.
    The more I think about Brisbane the more excited I feel. I will be camped out on the sofa for the series which will keep my wife from my snoring!
    23rd November - Bring it on!!!
  • Options
    Riviera said:

I am actually looking forward to the series now. Just a short while ago I could see nothing but a thrashing but something has made me more optimistic. I can't put my finger on it, maybe it's because so much has gone wrong in the last year or so. We haven't found anyone to open with Cook, we haven't got 3&5 sorted properly and we've lost our number 1 all-rounder, for now at least. We've lost seam bowler after seam bowler and for all Moin's stats we do not have a Test class spinner in the squad. I just can't see it getting worse and this is an opportunity for many to step-up and make a name for themselves.
    The more I think about Brisbane the more excited I feel. I will be camped out on the sofa for the series which will keep my wife from my snoring!

Alcohol kicking in, you'll be back to feeling pessimistic tomorrow morning
  • Options
    It is a pretty simple equatuon for me, if our new boy batters can have a half decent series then we have a great chance of competing.

If however they all get blown away by the Aussie pace trio, then we have no chance whatsoever.

The silver lining is that the chances of all three Aussie quicks staying fit for a five test series are remote, and
    then they would be left calling on uncapped youngsters (Behrendorf) or old tyros (Siddle).

If England can stay alive for the first three tests, then get Stokesy back for Sydney and Melbourne we have a great chance.

As ever Brisbane is crucial.
  • Options

Riviera said:

Either that or his wife's just put out :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Riviera said:

Hadn't had a drop when I posted that!
  • Options

English 11 only, seen only

Gooch
    Cook
    Vaughan
    Gower
    Pieterson
    Greig
    Knott
    Flintoff
    Botham
    Underwood
    Anderson

Okay maybe too many all rounders but fun to watch and you could play with the batting order. Vaughan as captain would take care of egos, 8 England Captains in one dressing room.

I really cannot see MP Vaughan dealing with Griegy and Beefy!
  • Options

It is a pretty simple equatuon for me, if our new boy batters can have a half decent series then we have a great chance of competing.

If however they all get blown away by the Aussie pace trio, then we have no chance whatsoever.

The silver lining is that the chances of all three Aussie quicks staying fit for a five test series are remote, and
    then they would be left calling on uncapped youngsters (Behrendorf) or old tyros (Siddle).

If England can stay alive for the first three tests, then get Stokesy back for Sydney and Melbourne we have a great chance.

As ever Brisbane is crucial.

Agree with what you say regarding the batsman needing to surprise people to give us half a chance, but don't agree that "all three Aussie quicks" need to stay fit, I would say they have at least 5 quality seamers, even without Pattinson.
  • Options
    England 180-4

Cook 15
    Stoneman 61
    Vince 33
    Root 58
    Malan 8*
    Bairstow 1*

One would suggest/hope that this side indicates that Ballance won't be in the Test X1 and that this will be the batting order.
  • Options
    Will lose five nil without Stokes.
  • Options

Disagree - don't think Australia are strong enough to win 5-0. In fact I have had a bet on 2-2.
  • Options

Disagree - don't think Australia are strong enough to win 5-0. In fact I have had a bet on 2-2.
    Bizarrely the best odds with the bookies on 2-2 (apart from on Betfair) is 7/1 but you can get 8/1 on a drawn series with Betfred (they are also 7/1 on 2-2).

Whilst the 0-0 and 1-1 options take very little out of the market, the price for one of three options shouldn't be bigger than the one that has more than 20 possible outcomes - when the result is the same.
  • Options

Have you been drinking the same as Riviera ?!

This has got 3-1 written all over it, with Oz gifting us the last Test because their quicks are all injured by then
  • Options
    278-8 at close:

Cook 15
    Stoneman 61
    Vince 33
    Root 58
    Malan 63
    Bairstow 9
    Woakes 33
    Overton 0
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Good thing at the moment is that Stoneman seems to have hit a bit of form.