Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The influence of the EU on Britain.

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:

McBobbin said:

Clarkson always struck me as a fan of other European countries. Not sure about his views on the EU per se

I distinctly recall a show where he toured France, eating songbirds and cooing about (some of) their cars. He's pretty much the One Nation Tory cultural figurehead
    Saw him more as a Thatcherite.
  • Options
    Does Noel Edmonds say deal or no deal? We need to know.
  • Options
    Just came through Wapping and there's a big sign saying "Bollocks to Brexit. It's not a done deal ". It was put up by Pimlico Plumbers.
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/31/britain-new-singapore-brexit-democracy

Interesting piece, particularly for anyone who favours copying the Singapore model after Brexit!
  • Options
    Chaz Hill said:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/oct/31/britain-new-singapore-brexit-democracy

Interesting piece, particularly for anyone who favours copying the Singapore model after Brexit!

Depends on what you value - can't see it working.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
  • Options

Chaz Hill said:

Depends on what you value - can't see it working.
    Agree, but plenty to appeal to certain elements of our political structure.
  • Options
    Seems to have all gone a bit quiet on the Brexit front this week as The (non event) Budget has taken centre stage.

Seeing as we are now entering November I'd had thought The Government, The Eu & uncle tom cobly would be pulling out all the stops to get something agreed. Doesn't give much time to get any type of deal through the Commons, then through The Lords...have xmas & then get it all agreed.

My money is on either an extension to A50 by a few months so that a deal can be agreed by Parliament (and thus avoiding a vote of NC in TM or even of her Government) or rejection by MP's on all sides & we leave with No Deal.
  • Options

Seems to have all gone a bit quiet on the Brexit front this week as The (non event) Budget has taken centre stage.

Seeing as we are now entering November I'd had thought The Government, The Eu & uncle tom cobly would be pulling out all the stops to get something agreed. Doesn't give much time to get any type of deal through the Commons, then through The Lords...have xmas & then get it all agreed.

My money is on either an extension to A50 by a few months so that a deal can be agreed by Parliament (and thus avoiding a vote of NC in TM or even of her Government) or rejection by MP's on all sides & we leave with No Deal.

There was some news that a deal on financial services (which has been a big concern of mines) has been reached - no idea if it’s any good though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46053283

Also, Dominic Raab yesterday wrote a letter to a Parlimentry Select Comittee that basically said I’ll come and see you in three weeks when a deals done which got everyone excited and then had to do a May-style u-turn and admit that it wouldn’t necessarily be done in three weeks.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

There was some news that a deal on financial services (which has been a big concern of mines) has been reached - no idea if it’s any good though:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46053283

Also, Dominic Raab yesterday wrote a letter to a Parlimentry Select Comittee that basically said I’ll come and see you in three weeks when a deals done which got everyone excited and then had to do a May-style u-turn and admit that it wouldn’t necessarily be done in three weeks.
    We are taking back control but wanting to keep everything the same
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

There was some news that a deal on financial services (which has been a big concern of mines) has been reached .
    Lets hope it doesnt blow up in their faces.

• Options
    Yes, pound has gone up because of it. Best to get you Euros now before it blows up in a few days!
  • Options
    The issue seems to be the UK saying that there will be the same border as now in Ireland in the future because of the anticipated trade deal.
    The EU are saying what if there is no trade deal?
    In preparing for no deal, which we hear is going on left right and centre what with 'technical notices' and so on the UK government has no credible idea regarding that border. I mean what is the 'technical notice' regarding the Irish border in a no deal scenario? If one existed we would certainly know about it.
    The pound might as well fall (or rise) for whatever that matters, the finances are a minor part of brexit anyway, the more fundamental issue is that without a border there is no brexit at all because the UK will not have 'taken back control of it's borders'.
    Mind you those who voted for brexit knew they were voting for no brexit anyway.
  • Options
    It matters if you are going to Europe. We are going to Belgium for a few days before Christmas and Austria in February.
  • Options

se9addick said:

There was some news that a deal on financial services (which has been a big concern of mines) has been reached .
    Lets hope it doesnt blow up in their faces.

Agreed. Mind you, IMHO, from what I've read and heard (World Service Newshour is your friend) it is effectively agreement on the financial element of the political statement to accompany the Brexit deal - though my understanding is not all financial services are covered (insurance, for example) and the duration or continuance of equivalence status is entirely within the EU27's gift. It seems, as much as anything else, to be a sweetener offered by the EU.
  • Options
    If you are interested, the link below is a hearing before a committee of the house of lords about the effect of brexit on European patent law. Hopefully understandable to those who have a basic knowledge of intellectual property. Bottom line seems to be, unless there is an agreement that keeps the UK in the proposed (hopefully soon to happen) unified patent court, we will be a lot worse off as a result. Be interested if anyone else gets to watch it.

https://parliamentlive.tv/event/index/123eb9d5-2500-47c6-bd9f-ee54fd1784f1
  • Options
    Well, at least the National Crime Agency are working hard...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46056337
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Quite right, one of the best things about Brexit is there will be nobody else to blame.
  • Options

It matters if you are going to Europe. We are going to Belgium for a few days before Christmas and Austria in February.

Say hi to Duchâtelet for us
  • Options
    seth plum said:

The pound might as well fall (or rise) for whatever that matters, the finances are a minor part of brexit anyway, the more fundamental issue is that without a border there is no brexit at all because the UK will not have 'taken back control of it's borders'.

Do you deliberately ignore the numerous posts pointing out why this statement is ridiculous?
  • Options

seth plum said:

Do you deliberately ignore the numerous posts pointing out why this statement is ridiculous?
    It might be ridiculous to you but is it inaccurate?
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Quite right, one of the best things about Brexit is there will be nobody else to blame.
    You might be very very wrong about that.
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Even better is to not do anything that requires anyone to blame anyone else.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

seth plum said:

100%
  • Options

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

100%
    0%
  • Options
    If Brexit is all about "taking back control of our borders, laws and money" and the Brexit that is visited upon us prevents us taking back control of our borders (specifically, the Irish border; deciding whether there's a border in the Irish Sea; and the efficacy and efficiency of the Kent sea borders), laws (specifically, being tied into agreeing to abide by EU laws and regulations, without being able to help set them) and money (specifically, being required to continue paying into the EU past the Brexit date of 29 March next year, and being forced to pay additional tariffs), then that version of Brexit isn't Brexit. Empirically.
  • Options

Say hi to Duchâtelet for us
    Planning to avoid that liar and complete plank! Shouldn't be too hard thankfully :)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!