Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options

Just received my running vest from Whiz-kidz and a finish time sweepstake form, so thought I'd see if anyone wants to have a guess.

I run roughly 10- 10mins 15 seconds per mile which can be used as a rough calculation. 

It's £10 a guess, closest wins £50. All donations will go to the charity (£290) and il pay the prize from my own pocket. 

If any spots are remaining on the day, the prize will ve scaled back proportionally 

Thanks for looking, the marathon spam is nearly over ! Xx
  • Options
    Haven’t done a Parkrun now since 2nd July, just got too many time-competing things to balance but really miss it. It’s a great uplifting way to start the weekend 
    Can’t put it off any longer, back at it at Avery Hill in the morning big anyone else fancies 
  • Options
    Perfect weather for park run, fresh, cool and sunny. Hope you enjoyed your comeback run @AFKABartram
  • Options
    Debuted at Danson this morning. Great little course. Sub 22.30 I think.
  • Options
    Perfect weather for park run, fresh, cool and sunny. Hope you enjoyed your comeback run @AFKABartram
    Well Mrs AFKA clearly wasn’t keen as when dropping me off she then decided to run over my foot! 
  • Options
    Well Mrs AFKA clearly wasn’t keen as when dropping me off she then decided to run over my foot! 
    You we're looking for contact weren't you? Go on, admit it. Trying to buy an excuse 😎

Did it slow you down or did you abandon?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Just received my running vest from Whiz-kidz and a finish time sweepstake form, so thought I'd see if anyone wants to have a guess.

I run roughly 10- 10mins 15 seconds per mile which can be used as a rough calculation. 

It's £10 a guess, closest wins £50. All donations will go to the charity (£290) and il pay the prize from my own pocket. 

If any spots are remaining on the day, the prize will ve scaled back proportionally 

Thanks for looking, the marathon spam is nearly over ! Xx
    From your information and my own marathon experience years ago I'll guess 4:48. How do I pay the £10. I don't have paypal.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    You we're looking for contact weren't you? Go on, admit it. Trying to buy an excuse 😎

Managed to ‘run it off’.

Sitting in the back seat I put one foot on the pavement and she decided to start going before the 2nd foot had hit the ground. Tyre slowly went over the back of my heal. I screamed out like Neymar which prompted her to break with my foot still under!. Was waiting for a bone crunch when she did move forward but fortunately nothing. Think I’ve been very lucky. Back of my heel & Achilles is a bit purple and sore but considering the unbelievable pain at the time I can’t believe I managed to run 15 mins later. 

Getting the bus next time. 
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Managed to ‘run it off’.

Sitting in the back seat I put one foot on the pavement and she decided to start going before the 2nd foot had hit the ground. Tyre slowly went over the back of my heal. I screamed out like Neymar which prompted her to break with my foot still under!. Was waiting for a bone crunch when she did move forward but fortunately nothing. Think I’ve been very lucky. Back of my heel & Achilles is a bit purple and sore but considering the unbelievable pain at the time I can’t believe I managed to run 15 mins later. 

Surely using public transport will invalidate your time?
    oh wait I see what you meant….
  • Options
    swordfish said:

Managed to ‘run it off’.

Ouch! 

I did Haga parkrun in Stockholm. Beautiful royal park, hilly course passing a massive lake. Exactly 100 there - 60/40 locals-tourists, I reckon. Good fun, pleased with my time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Marathon app has been updated, I'm blue wave 10.
  • Options
    @InspectorSands - I've done that course in the ice/snow...beautiful course....had to be careful on the descents...no idea what my time was...we'd been out the night before and were off to a beer festival right after :-) Love Stockholm.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Ah great thanks. I’m blue wave 2, all feeling very real now! 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Ah great thanks. I’m blue wave 2, all feeling very real now! 
    Start times have been amended now. Mine is 10.30 which I'm a bit gutted about as if it does end up being a warm one I'm slap bang in it. Weather has cooled right down this last week though which is great.
  • Options
    sholland said:
    Run my first half marathon on Sunday, lost my running mojo during the pandemic as I use the occasional race as motivation to get myself out running by training for it.
    Got seriously unfit and went from 50-55 min 10k pre pandemic to 1 hour 11 mins in May this year, so was more than happy to go under 2 hours.
    My Chip time was 1 hour 58 mins and 1 second.
    It was a very well organised race with plenty of stalls and nearby parking. Bit of a hill at the beginning middle and end. 

Well done. Sub 2 hours is a great goal and we’ll done for achieving it. 
  • Options
    Did Alstervorland in Hamburg - one I've always wanted to do, in the park by the big lake if you know the city - and it bucketed it down!

Still, 35:40 including taking a wrong turning was pretty good for me... 

• Options
    Did the annual 'Olney Runners Squeaky Bone Relay Race' this morning over at Turvey House in Bucks. Great event as usual and our Club Desborough and Rothwell Running Club, were well represented entering eight teams of four. I ran leg 3 for my team, the Muddy Paws, although forgot to start my watch after taking the baton for the first few hundred yards, but I was running 9 minute miles for the rest of the 3.5 mile cross country loop, which is about right for me these days. That's it for another year. Squeak Squeak!!! Feet up now.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Did the annual 'Olney Runners Squeaky Bone Relay Race' this morning over at Turvey House in Bucks. Great event as usual and our Club Desborough and Rothwell Running Club, were well represented entering eight teams of four. I ran leg 3 for my team, the Muddy Paws, although forgot to start my watch after taking the baton for the first few hundred yards, but I was running 9 minute miles for the rest of the 3.5 mile cross country loop, which is about right for me these days. That's it for another year. Squeak Squeak!!! Feet up now.
    So should we enter a CharltonLife team for next year?  Looks a fun event.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    kigelia said:
    swordfish said:
    So should we enter a CharltonLife team for next year?  Looks a fun event.

Not sure how you conclude that it's fun based on my expression, but it made me laugh when I saw it and I do recommend the event for a different sort of experience for those more used to solitary running.

Due to Covid and clashes with other events, yesterday was the first time it's been held since 2019 when they had 160 teams enter in all. Not sure how many were there yesterday, but it was at a new venue and that was very successful I must say, but they said at the end they want to get numbers up for next year when the aim is to host it there again. I'm still waiting for the official results by the way, so it must have been well attended and it seemed that way. 

I will send out details for the 2023 version when they come out and can ask on this thread if there's interest in making up a team or two, but I know I'm a bit of an outlier Charlton wise being based in Northants and the race is in Bucks. If there was interest in a similar type of event in or around London that's more convenient for CL runners at your end, assuming that's where you are, I'd be interested in making up a team and would be prepared to travel for it.
  • Options
    Just been and collected my number for Sunday, not long now !. Will get the begging cap back out once if completed it lol 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Just been and collected my number for Sunday, not long now !. Will get the begging cap back out once if completed it lol 
    Picked mine up on Thursday as well, just want to get on with it now! Weather starting to look pretty rubbish!
  • Options
    Good luck guys
  • Options
    All the best to you folks doing the marathon. Enjoy the experience the crowds are always pretty spectacular there
  • Options
    First time I'll be going to the marathon as a spectator rather than a participant. Really looking forward to cheering everyone on as I know how much of a difference it makes. Good luck to all Lifers running on Sunday. Take it all in and enjoy the day!
  • Options
    First time I'll be going to the marathon as a spectator rather than a participant. Really looking forward to cheering everyone on as I know how much of a difference it makes. Good luck to all Lifers running on Sunday. Take it all in and enjoy the day!
    Thanks for the donation mate 👍 
  • Options
    Just found out I'm gonna have to defer until April. Trains seem to effect my line more than I thought, they ain't committing to a start time on Sunday and I definitely won't be able to arrive before 9am 

Absolutely fucking livid and devastated at the same time 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Just found out I'm gonna have to defer until April. Trains seem to effect my line more than I thought, they ain't committing to a start time on Sunday and I definitely won't be able to arrive before 9am 

Oh no. I feel for you mate. Don't know what to say, but I share your frustration. Can't imagine what that feels like after all your prep. 😢 I haven't done my bit yet with the sponsorship either, but I presume I can do that anytime. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Can you not park nearish the start then Uber to as near as you can get? 

I am in the same boat for the royal parks half next week.