Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Injured as well at the mo. It’s a right downer. Hope it heals ok 
  • Options
    Don't panic. Massage your calf and rest it as much as you can. Might just be a niggle.
  • Options
    Injured as well at the mo. It’s a right downer. Hope it heals ok 
    If your suffering with shin splints try using a balance cushion as part of your warm up

Used to suffer with them every run and would seriously slow me down but they're history now

Something like the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BODYMATE-Balance-Cushion-Inflatable-stability/dp/B078SZ6HRP/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Balance+Cushion&qid=1579341002&sr=8-5
  • Options
    i get calf pain, and most recently achilles/lower calf issues
  • Options
    razil said:
    i get calf pain, and most recently achilles/lower calf issues
     That one sounds like tight hamstrings and calfs.
  • Options
    could be, rarely get hamstring pain though but it wouldnt surprise me
  • Options
    razil said:
    could be, rarely get hamstring pain though but it wouldnt surprise me
    I'd never had hamstring pain, but when I got plantar fasciitis, I tried all the massages and stretches on the achilles (as I also thought i had achilles tendonitis) and calf but actually it was only when I started adding a strict hamstring stretch routine (beyond just the usual ones post run) that i really felt it ease.
  • Options
    Achilles is quite rare for me and only recent, tends to be calfs, but yes will try stretching more before and after
  • Options
    Joined 493 others at Maidstone Parkrun this morning, so pleased that I managed to get a Parkrun PB with a time of 22:45...totally buzzing after.
  • Options
    edited January 2020

There were 1218 park runners on Clapham Common today. I wasn't among them unfortunately, and haven't run since 11 Dec thanks to a Jonny Williams emulating miniscus injury.
    Might try a short run this week sometime, as I'm really missing it. Not the actual running, but the fitness and the feeling of mental well being  :-(

That's a good time @AFKA Disco. The top times at Clapham Common tend to be around 17 mins I think. Club runners quite often. During the summer we had an asylum seeker guy who was smashing everybody. Haven't seen him for a few months though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I was the tail walker at Hilly Fields yesterday. Even walking up those hills still takes it out of you!
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Have a constant issue with what feels like intense cramp in my left calf, but is not I don't think (to be clear I am not a runner, but play football which is where this issue occurs).

Basically whenever I run, quite often something can "ping" in my calf that makes it hard to walk/run for quite a while, could barely go up or down stairs yesterday, but much better today. 

Probably need to improve stretching routine. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    Have a constant issue with what feels like intense cramp in my left calf, but is not I don't think (to be clear I am not a runner, but play football which is where this issue occurs).

Basically whenever I run, quite often something can "ping" in my calf that makes it hard to walk/run for quite a while, could barely go up or down stairs yesterday, but much better today. 

Probably need to improve stretching routine. 
    Could be a calf strain?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    8 miles in just under 60 mins today. Legs working again a bit
    Was really proud of my run today and split times... then I saw your impressive stats!!

Akin to me lifting a single weight at the gym then having a body builder coming in and lifting the whole bench I'm sitting on!! 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    8 miles in just under 60 mins today. Legs working again a bit
    Was really proud of my run today and split times... then I saw your impressive stats!!

Akin to me lifting a single weight at the gym then having a body builder coming in and lifting the whole bench I'm sitting on!! 

It's about doing what you can do, not trying to replicate others. Just beat yourself each time. (Cue Mehmet)
  • Options
    Oh god yeah mate... Certainly not gonna bust my gut now and try and take an instant minute off my per mileage

Would be dead within minutes!!

Can slowly feel myself getting back to your sort of speeds but I'm only four months back so know it'll take time, just impressed with where I am already
  • Options
    The last one I ran was quite slippy on the grass/mud and conditions haven't improved since then. What shoes are recommended for now?
  • Options
    The last one I ran was quite slippy on the grass/mud and conditions haven't improved since then. What shoes are recommended for now?
    Slippers! 🤭
  • Options
     Given your description, trails.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Just beginning to enjoy my running again. No done a park run in a while but am training for a half marathon in April. Up to 8.5 miles on my long runs so all going well. 

I got over my recurring calf injuries with a strengthening programme I got online which worked wonders. Also got some advice and have gone down the quality over quantity route with only 3 runs a week, allows time for muscles to recover between runs. 
  • Options

Strathclyde Park in Hamilton, Scotland for me and the missus today...beautiful Parkrun around the lake. Brisk!
  • Options
    Fun old time this morning, like a swamp for much of it
  • Options
    Well done @MrOneLung you'll be at that 5k Mark quicker than you realise and it will give you a big personal lift
  • Options
    2 mins off my Pb but a very enjoyable plod around Avery Hill with 390 others.  First run for two weeks and great to get the lungs pumping again. 

Well all all those out this morning 
  • Options
    5-minutes quicker than last week but mostly because the course involved slightly less leaping and swimming.....still nowhere near a Pb :(
  • Options
    First park run in over a month after being away and illness. Happy with a solid 22:10 - new shoes made a big difference as did losing half a stone through illness - got to try keep that off. 
  • Options
    2 mins off my Pb but a very enjoyable plod around Avery Hill with 390 others.  First run for two weeks and great to get the lungs pumping again. 

Well all all those out this morning 
    I was going to cheer you on as you ran past me but you were too fast!!!! 
  • Options
    First dabble at Junior Parkrun with one of my lads this morning. Excellent fun and great to bump into @InspectorSands marshalling