Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ParkRun / Running Thread

Comments

• Options
    Surpised there are so few in romford/West Essex area, looking at that map.
  • Options
    Enjoyed that, sneaked in a bit in front of the 29 minute pacer. Not as cold as I thought it would be ... Busy as hell. Probably 800 plus and made getting started difficult
  • Options
    42:03, my 2nd best time. Hadn't run at all for 2 weeks and at 0750 hours this morning I wasn't even going to do it, too warm and snug in bed. So glad I made the effort. Loads there today and plenty of 1st Timers as you'd expect in January.
  • Options
    Yep, 316. Excellent turn out at Avery Hill.

Disappointed with my run. Run the same as always yet was 50 seconds slower than Tuesday. I never have anything left at the end so don’t understand how my times can vary so widely.

Wasn’t as cold as I was anticipating. First time wearing more than t shirt and shorts, quite like Lycra :-)

Nice to see some friendly Charlton faces
  • Options
    602 people at Danson...blimey.... Not a great time for me (25.20) but not too bad after a few weeks off and seasonal indulgence...very glad I got up and went out when the alarm went off and my brain said: 'stay in bed...'
  • Options
    Managed to chip 2 mins off my 10k best this morning, my first ‘longer’ run for 4 weeks.

Few ‘polyester in the cold’ lessons learned, had very red tits after and think I was close to a nipple bleed.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Managed to chip 2 mins off my 10k best this morning, my first ‘longer’ run for 4 weeks.

Few ‘polyester in the cold’ lessons learned, had very red tits after and think I was close to a nipple bleed.

Speak to @TelMc32, he knows all about it.

• Options
    Done a park run tbis morning, it took me 15 seconds to run from the car park to the McDonalds counter
  • Options

Speak to @TelMc32, he knows all about it.

Thanks for reminding me @guinnessaddick...still makes me wince. I think the first “O” and the “I” were red by the time game finished!! 😱
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    10k then junior Parkrun today... Some of these kids are quick.
  • Options
    rina said:

I ran Mole Valley parkrun yesterday- highly, highly recommended if anyone's after a run in the Box Hill area. Unsurprisingly for the area it's bloody hard with the first half being all uphill but the location is amazing, it's on the Denbies wine estate so you're running through the middle of the vineyards, it feels like you're on the continent rather than in Surrey

Sounds like a great one - cheers for the headsup
  • Options
    rina said:

I ran Mole Valley parkrun yesterday- highly, highly recommended if anyone's after a run in the Box Hill area. Unsurprisingly for the area it's bloody hard with the first half being all uphill but the location is amazing, it's on the Denbies wine estate so you're running through the middle of the vineyards, it feels like you're on the continent rather than in Surrey

Home to this crazy event too: http://www.run-bacchus.com/

Managed 35:34 at Crystal Palace Park which is a tough course. It's just one lap, uphill for the first mile. Thankfully no garish stripey football tops.
  • Options
    I'm interested in running a park run this year during one of my trips to a Charlton game. Is there a webside where I can look for information or can you recommend a park run? Usually I'm staying in the Woolwich/Charlton area.
  • Options
    Here you go @MadGerman http://www.parkrun.org.uk/events/events/ closest is either Danson Park or Avery Hill...
  • Options
    MadGerman said:

I'm interested in running a park run this year during one of my trips to a Charlton game. Is there a webside where I can look for information or can you recommend a park run? Usually I'm staying in the Woolwich/Charlton area.

If you're staying closer to Woolwich, Victoria Dock (DLR to West Silvertown) will be your nearest, or you can get a 122 bus to the bottom of Hilly Fields, as well as the two already mentioned.

This is very good for tourism: https://touristtool.mybluemix.net/
  • Options
    Thanks for the helpful links. It's possible that I'm going to run Victoria Dock in February and Danson Park in May.
    How does the barcode stuff exactly work? Do I have to print it on a small paper and have it with me during the run or do I have to wear it like a number?
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    MadGerman said:

Thanks for the helpful links. It's possible that I'm going to run Victoria Dock in February and Danson Park in May.
    How does the barcode stuff exactly work? Do I have to print it on a small paper and have it with me during the run or do I have to wear it like a number?

You get sent a sheet of about 10 tickets with your barcode on by email. Print off and cut up into individual ones. Best to laminate as they soon perish otherwise. You must have a hard copy with you as the officials will not accept your code on your phone etc. You can also get wristbands with your code on too. https://parkrun-barcode.com/GetBarcode
  • Options
    Felt good that. Annoyingly, I seem to have this allergy in the last month or so, meaning I'm really bunged up in the morning... But I reckon I got 27-28 or thereabouts, which would be fine. Feel there's a bit more in the tank as well
  • Options
    Chest infection and a cold all week so reluctantly skipped this morning. Boo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Knocked 30 seconds off last week's pb so chuffed. Hope you get better soon Dan. Don't rush back if you have a chest thing, I did last summer and ended up with a respiratory infection for 2.5 months.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Hoping to start doing this from next week. Have a couple of stone to lose and would like to get a bit fitter too, realised since I crossed 40 it is more difficult than just watching what I eat!
  • Options

Hoping to start doing this from next week. Have a couple of stone to lose and would like to get a bit fitter too, realised since I crossed 40 it is more difficult than just watching what I eat!

where are you planning to run?
  • Options
    Didn't run today due to work but ran my local course yesterday (the first proper exercise since the last parkrun I did end of November) and I'm struggling today!!

Did it in 32 minutes and it took all I had to not stop and walk, gonna be hard work getting back to the 28/29 minutes I was averaging before Xmas - only 9 till I hit the 50.
  • Options
    Didn't feel like a PB but I'll take it all the same. Sub 40min is the target and hope to get there within a few weeks.
  • Options
    Crazy at Clapham Common today where there must have been over 1000 runners.
    According to Strava I did my second best time (which tbh is nothing to write home about), although Park Run always have a different timing than Strava’s.
    I ran a couple of times during the week, but much slower than the Park Runs.
  • Options

Didn't run today due to work but ran my local course yesterday (the first proper exercise since the last parkrun I did end of November) and I'm struggling today!!

Did it in 32 minutes and it took all I had to not stop and walk, gonna be hard work getting back to the 28/29 minutes I was averaging before Xmas - only 9 till I hit the 50.

Not sure how old you are, but I bet you’ll be back to 28/29 mins before you know it.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Not sure how old you are, but I bet you’ll be back to 28/29 mins before you know it.
    41, and just getting up early to do it is a struggle!!!!!!
  • Options
    28.07 as it turned out. Actually, a bit disappointed as I seems to have plateaued... But then again, only my second in recent weeks, so if I put some more runs in and really push myself, there's improvement to be had