Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

End of year prediction for FTSE 100?

There seem to be so many competing factors at the moment that it seems hard to predict which direction we're heading in. Only a weak sterling will keep the FTSE buoyant and with the uncertainty over Brexit and North Korea I can see it dropping back to 6700.

Comments

• Agreed sub 7,000 certainly, not sure as low as 6700 but possible.
  • There seem to be so many competing factors at the moment that it seems hard to predict which direction we're heading in. Only a weak sterling will keep the FTSE buoyant and with the uncertainty over Brexit and North Korea I can see it dropping back to 6700.

Weakening currency = stronger equities (usually) - well FTSE100 anyway which is packed with non-sterling earning organisations. And vice versa.

The pound has strengthened because FOREX dealers are speculating on when and how much interest rates rise - the fundamentals haven't changed.

Around 7,000
  • nothing to do with Brexit or the pound, but a direct correlation to how CAFC are doing - no coincidence that this week's falls happened after our defeat on tues nights.

If we are top 6 on Dec 31st then FTSE will be above 7300, if we are out of the play-off zone then 6800 is more realistic.
  • nothing to do with Brexit or the pound, but a direct correlation to how CAFC are doing - no coincidence that this week's falls happened after our defeat on tues nights.

If we are top 6 on Dec 31st then FTSE will be above 7300, if we are out of the play-off zone then 6800 is more realistic.

Quick, sell now!
  • Guaranteed this will just turn into yet another CL political thread.
  • bobmunro said:

There seem to be so many competing factors at the moment that it seems hard to predict which direction we're heading in. Only a weak sterling will keep the FTSE buoyant and with the uncertainty over Brexit and North Korea I can see it dropping back to 6700.

Weakening currency = stronger equities (usually) - well FTSE100 anyway which is packed with non-sterling earning organisations. And vice versa.

The pound has strengthened because FOREX dealers are speculating on when and how much interest rates rise - the fundamentals haven't changed.

Around 7,000
    tend to agree

although we are living in a very unpredictable world

• There seem to be so many competing factors at the moment that it seems hard to predict which direction we're heading in. Only a weak sterling will keep the FTSE buoyant and with the uncertainty over Brexit and North Korea I can see it dropping back to 6700.

I think you might be right. Today is the first time I noticed the FTSE moving in a significantly different direction to the DAX.

I think you might be right. Today is the first time I noticed the FTSE moving in a significantly different direction to the DAX.
    Sterling stronger, Euro weaker - all about exporting.
  • Thought everything was going tits up
  • bobmunro said:

Sterling stronger, Euro weaker - all about exporting.
    Dollar weaker, rather than euro