Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Buying a new car

Would appreciate any advice from my learned fellow lifers.

I'm thinking of buying a new a car, probably a Fiat 500 and wondered what the score was these days. It's a long time since a last bought a car.

Is it worth buying outright (possibly trading in my old car) for cash like the good old days, or are there better deals to be had?

I'm thinking of the ones that include servicing/warranty etc. It seems the market has changed a bit and I haven't kept up with it.

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    If you must buy new look here: https://www.carwow.co.uk

I'd always buy cash at the moment,
  • Options
    Quite often dealers will make a 'contribution' to the cost of the car if you sign up to buy on credit. Do this and then pay it off (if you have the cash) - normally have to wait 3 months to avoid any penalty.
    Did this with Nissan once to get a £1500 contribution that wouldn't have got if paid cash up front.
  • Options
    Are you sure about a Fiat? A very pretty car but have you compared reviews?
    In January I bought a new car (interest free credit is your friend) and there was a moment when the dealer said it was the absolute lowest price anybody could get anywhere, within an hour I had a quote for about £1200 lower and played one dealer off against another.
  • Options
    'We buy any car' quoted me on my old car, and then within a week or so when I didn't follow up quoted me higher. I used that quote to get a trade in price at the dealers.
  • Options
    Warranty for 3 years should come as standard.
    Be friendly with the dealer but not friends.
    The best time to buy is near the end of a month, and near the end of a registration number period as the dealer is under pressure to move units around those times.
    Research can save you a lot of money.
  • Options
    I would pay cash. look on car broker sites (eg Drive the Deal) at prices then go into your local dealer with all the facts and see what they offer. I would not do PCP credit. If you need finance get a personal loan and then pay cash for the car.

https://www.drivethedeal.com/
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

If you must buy new look here: https://www.carwow.co.uk

I'd always buy cash at the moment,

Would certainly recommend these type of brokers, I used drivethedeal for my last purchase. The discounts they can find will, almost certainly, be far better than you can negotiate with your local dealer(s)

• Options
    When you go to the dealer one of the first questions they ask after 'automatic or manual?' is what colour you want. The correct answer is to ask if the different colours cost different amounts. Once you say blue or red or whatever they bang on about your new red or blue car to suck you in.
    Be confident and have rhino thick skin, ask for the earth and be prepared to walk away.
    Indeed the first second and third rule of car buying club is be prepared to walk away.
    PM me for any more stuff, have fun.
  • Options

Would appreciate any advice from my learned fellow lifers.

I'm thinking of buying a new a car, probably a Fiat 500 and wondered what the score was these days. It's a long time since a last bought a car.

Is it worth buying outright (possibly trading in my old car) for cash like the good old days, or are there better deals to be had?

I'm thinking of the ones that include servicing/warranty etc. It seems the market has changed a bit and I haven't kept up with it.

Any advice appreciated.

Go on car wow mate saved. About 3 grand
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Depends on budget and circumstances but buying a brand new car outright will almost certainly depreciate by 20% in the first 2 years (especially a fiat). I'd get a 2-3 year old car that came with an original 5/7 year warranty. Kia and Vauxhall have those to name a couple. I haven't researched but always negotiate. Dealers will act like they cant provide too much discount but stick to your guns. Its a buyers market.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    as soon as you drive off in the car it is worth 20% less as the price you pay includes 20% VAT.

When you sell it, you would not have VAT in the price.
  • Options
    ChiAddick said:

Depends on budget and circumstances but buying a brand new car outright will almost certainly depreciate by 20% in the first 2 years (especially a fiat). I'd get a 2-3 year old car that came with an original 5/7 year warranty. Kia and Vauxhall have those to name a couple. I haven't researched but always negotiate. Dealers will act like they cant provide too much discount but stick to your guns. Its a buyers market.

Yes, thanks for that.
    Retired, homeowner. Budget of 12/15k cash for the car. Credit score won't be sky high as I haven't taken any credit in the last 10 years, and no mortgage.

• Options

ChiAddick said:

Yes, thanks for that.
    Retired, homeowner. Budget of 12/15k cash for the car. Credit score won't be sky high as I haven't taken any credit in the last 10 years, and no mortgage.

As others have advised, buy cash.

Dealers will be awash with their pre-reg cars in the next couple of months with delivery mileage only, no older than a few months and full remaining warranty. Typical saving on new start at 20%
  • Options
    "If it appreciates - buy it, if it depreciates - lease it"
    Paul Getty
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

as soon as you drive off in the car it is worth 20% less as the price you pay includes 20% VAT.

When you sell it, you would not have VAT in the price.

Nearly, but the VAT is "only" 16.67% of the total price.
  • Options
    A lot of people with a lot of cash just laying about on this thread :lol:
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

A lot of people with a lot of cash just laying about on this thread :lol:

I've still got a sore arse too :-)
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    If you want to save a few quid on buying a new car i'd recommend knowing exactly what you want , and going to 3 different dealers in a day ( if you do it over the phone they won't entertain it) and asking for their best price.

The first one i went to came up with a really high price , but because i went to the other 2 dealers i manged to get the original dealer to quote at at better price than the other 2 , saved a small packet.

Make sure you ask for rubber mats and a tank of petrol thrown in as well.

They will try to push you towards finance as they earn a bonus for that , i'd be looking for at least 10 - 15 % off the list price.
  • Options

If you want to save a few quid on buying a new car i'd recommend knowing exactly what you want , and going to 3 different dealers in a day ( if you do it over the phone they won't entertain it) and asking for their best price.

The first one i went to came up with a really high price , but because i went to the other 2 dealers i manged to get the original dealer to quote at at better price than the other 2 , saved a small packet.

Make sure you ask for rubber mats and a tank of petrol thrown in as well.

They will try to push you towards finance as they earn a bonus for that , i'd be looking for at least 10 - 15 % off the list price.

Thanks for this.
  • Options
    Thanks, folks. As always the Charlton Life family comes up trumps, plenty to chew on here.

We've always bought cars about 18 months old, but will look at all the options.

As long as Mrs M-A-M doesn't insist on a red car 'cos it looks nice :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Currently on 4th FIAT and each has been very reliable. I know they have a poor reputation for reliability, but we have been very happy and no problems outside usual wear and tear.
  • Options
    Bough a new Renault Clio as a second car. Really good and bought from main dealer - Renault pre-register lots of their cars and discount heavily. We got it with 8 miles on the clock for about a £4k discount paying in cash. Warranty and servicing for 3 years included. Well worth a look given the value.
  • Options

"If it appreciates - buy it, if it depreciates - lease it"
    Paul Getty

Madness if the lease cost is greater than the depreciation plus a few %.

Lots of nearly new deals out there. I got my father in law a Honda Jazz with a grand total of 232 miles on it and 2 months old and abou £4K off.

New cars are expensive these days for what they are, so doubly make sure whatever you get it's what you want. Personally I tend to buy German much to my late grandfathers disgust (he didn't talk to me for about 6 months the 1st time I bought an Audi). Generally strong cars with strong residuals as well.
  • Options
    Cash!!!!!!!!

We tried to buy my wife a newish Mini earlier in the year, we were sat in front of the salesman in the showroom and all was going well when he started to explain the finance and lease options to us. At this point I said we were cash buyers and I would hope that would be reflected in the form of a discount.

His face was a picture, he panicked and said he would have to speak to his manager so off he went. 10 minutes later he returned and said they would much rather put us on finance however if we insist on paying cash no discount will be offered, the price is the price.

She is now driving around in a new Ford Fiesta.

• Options
    whatever you get - don't buy brand new, get one 12 months old for a whacking saving and it'll still have the warranty etc
  • Options

whatever you get - don't buy brand new, get one 12 months old for a whacking saving and it'll still have the warranty etc

This is what we did, 6 month old Fiesta, big savings and warranty transferred to my wife. Our gain and Mini's loss
  • Options

Cash!!!!!!!!

We tried to buy my wife a newish Mini earlier in the year, we were sat in front of the salesman in the showroom and all was going well when he started to explain the finance and lease options to us. At this point I said we were cash buyers and I would hope that would be reflected in the form of a discount.

His face was a picture, he panicked and said he would have to speak to his manager so off he went. 10 minutes later he returned and said they would much rather put us on finance however if we insist on paying cash no discount will be offered, the price is the price.

She is now driving around in a new Ford Fiesta.

I like this tale.
    Dealers worth their salt should enjoy customers who want a bit of a ruck, if they're not up to it they are the losers.
    I hope your wife likes her Fiesta, bought mine in January and think it is a great car for city life.
  • Options
    Went to buy a nearly new car last year with cash, the guy tried his hardest to get me to put it on credit. (Do they earn more from the finance company than profit on the car?)
    The long and the short of it was I got 3k off the car but it left an odd 50 quid on the price, telling him to fill the car up with fuel or knock the £50 off and he has a deal. He wandered off yet again to see his boss, coming back he said they would do neither. Asking me if we were prepared to lose the car over £50, I immediately asked him if he was prepared to lose a sale over £50. Collecting my bits together I left, forgetting my car keys I returned in minutes to see the smug gits standing there I quickly told them I'd forgot my keys. The manager gave me some garbage about the price of cars fluctuating the whole time and they would take the £50 off the price, I told him he'd had his chance and kept walking.
  • Options
    I'm selling my 11 plate Astra if anyone is interested . Message me for details
  • Options
    Being a car salesman myself, we usually get the equivalent of 1-monthly rate as commission on any finance deal we close out.