Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CL's Favourite Albums: Blue vs Urban Hymns

I know that the previous match up was difficult due to the contrasting styles of the two albums, not to mention the twenty year gap between the releases. This is probably worse :-).

Album Name: Blue Artist: Joni Mitchell
Release Year:1971

1. All I Want
2. My Old Man
3. Little Green
4. Carey
5. Blue
6. California
7. This Flight Tonight
8. River
9. A Case of You
10. The Last Time I Saw Richard

Album Name: Urban Hymns Artist: The Verve
Release Year: 1997

1. Bitter Sweet Symphony
2. Sonnet
3. The Rolling People
4. The Drugs Don't Work
5. Catching the Butterfly
6. Neon Wilderness
7. Space and Time
8. Weeping Willow
9. Lucky Man
10. One Day
11. This Time
12. Velvet Morning
13. Come On

I'm very biased here, as I think Blue is one of the most beautiful and honest albums I've ever heard. But what do you think? :-)

Comments

• Options
    Blue ffs, Urban Hymns isn't even (The) Verve's best album
  • Options
    I'll go for urban hymns because of "the drugs don't work". Not a massive fan of either album, though I've only recently given blue a listen
  • Options
    I liked Urban hymns and there a few stand out tracks. I'll give it another listen but Blue is one of the best albums ever, a classic, a thing of beauty, lyrically it's a masterpiece and musically it's genius. All with the divine Joni.

Blue it is.
  • Options
    Blue, and the lovely Joni for me
  • Options
    I am not sure this lark works as I cannot imagine a big crossover between Joni Mitchell and Verve fans, but there we are. Urban Hymns for me, one of my all time favourite albums ( and a soundtrack to our Wembley playoff Season)
  • Options
    Urban Hymns for me.

I don't think it works as well putting up albums from such different era's/styles against each other, I did listen to Blue but it's not for my tastes.
  • Options
    Blue.
  • Options
    Yeah, I see that it is hard to choose between two very different albums from entirely different periods, with very different styles, but I don't think we can find the absolute favourite without some odd match ups.

It could also come down to different tastes in music, which says more about liking a particular type of music than thinking one album is better than the other, which is definitely a flaw in the system.
  • Options
    I think the contrast makes it interesting and if it wasn't this round it would be the next
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Urban Hymns.
  • Options
    Urban Hymns, brings back some great memories.
  • Options
    Blue.
  • Options
    Never heard Blue and don't recognise any of the track names either
  • Options
    Blue for me and you.

I have to say i've gone right off, Bitter Sweet Symphony ever since ITV started using it for the footy, in fact it now really pisses me orf.

Time to get over to that other thread.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    I've always thought Bittersweet Symphony was a missed opportunity. It has just a great signature orchestral backing tune, but the dreary voice and endless repetition mean it ends up being a bit crap.
  • Options
    Blue.
    Carey and California are favourites.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:

Blue.
    Carey and California are favourites.

This thread has got me playing Joni albums for the first time in ages.
  • Options
    where are @bobmunro and @Greenie ?
  • Options

where are @bobmunro and @Greenie ?

I'm here.

Urban Hymns is a stunning album with every track a classic, and with Bittersweet Symphony and The Drugs Don't Work amply displaying the genius that is Richard Ashcroft. Every self-respecting music collection should have this album.

So, for me it's a resounding vote for ....... Blue.

• Options
    Nick McCabe >>>>>>>>>>>>> Richard Ashcroft
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Leuth said:

That's as maybe - but neither have any place in a music discussion when comparing to the beautiful, supremely talented, gorgeous, irresistible Joni. I love that woman.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

That's as maybe - but neither have any place in a music discussion when comparing to the beautiful, supremely talented, gorgeous, irresistible Joni. I love that woman.
    Indeed

Where would we be without the songs that Joni wrote?
  • Options
    Blue. Joni Mitchell is folk rock royalty.
    This Flight Tonight is a class song, Nazareth did a quality cover.
    In this company, who the hell are the Verve?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Leuth said:

I don't disagree this is a no-contest in her favour! But we're allowed to discuss both acts :p
  • Options
    Interestingly, Verve's song Blue is one of their best ;)
  • Options
    Probably like the last match-up, old gits (Blue) v young punks (Urban Hymns)

But this time around I'm firmly in the old gits' corner, having played Blue in the car a few times recently, whereby Urban Hymns hasn't made its way out of the CD cupboard in years.