Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Disabled Badge Holders

We went to Southend today, complete disaster from start to finish, days out with my son and daughter both with very different but complex special needs is very difficult on a good day.

One thing that really annoyed me though is the car parks and the meter parking has changed for blue badge holders, you used to be able to park all day with a valid blue badge for free, even along the sea front at the meters, now there are signs that everywhere saying that blue badge holders with badges issued by Southend on Sea may park free of charge and all other badges issued by other authorities must pay the standard fee.

I have also been to other boroughs where the car park allows only locally issued badges to use the marked disabled bays.

We ended up paying £12 for parking in the car park rather than beach side where we normally park for ease of access as that would have cost us double. It's not the money I am begrudging but the principle, towns like Southend make most of their revenue from visitors we spent in excess of £200 there today, so I feel that discrimination against non-locals is awful.

I started an e-petition as well this evening feel free to sign it if you agree this is wrong, thank you.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/petition/Local_councils_and_local_government_Blue_Badges_should_be_National/?aSummmb

Comments

• Options
    That is grossly unfair. Councils big wigs taking the extra money and enjoying a nice holiday with it.
  • Options
    Making a little money by targeting the easiest targets. It's what councils and governments do best. Disgraceful.
  • Options

That is grossly unfair. Councils big wigs taking the extra money and enjoying a nice holiday with it.

Or local Council tax payers pay less Council tax as day tippers coming to their town to enjoy the facilities pay a reasonable sum to leave their vehicles for the day.
  • Options
    I would have thought priority of local blue badge holders and a small charge for non local blue badge holders is pretty fair.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

I would have thought priority of local blue badge holders and a small charge for non local blue badge holders is pretty fair.

Not at all. A blue badge is a blue badge you don't need it any more or any less based on where you live. If a car park does a disabled concession it should be just that not discriminatory. People that are visiting the town are spending enough there anyway why spend more?
  • Options

Addickted said:

Not at all. A blue badge is a blue badge you don't need it any more or any less based on where you live. If a car park does a disabled concession it should be just that not discriminatory. People that are visiting the town are spending enough there anyway why spend more?
    Don't spend the money there
    Pay fora couple of hours there as you were already there and then do something else.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Addickted said:

Don't spend the money there
    Pay fora couple of hours there as you were already there and then do something else.
    Hmmm. Do you have kids? lol

I had already paid for wristbands for 3 in adventure island, lunch for 6 and sea life for 6 in advance. Didn't really have much choice.
  • Options

Addickted said:

But your original post suggests that is not the case any longer.

I have also been to other boroughs where the car park allows only locally issued badges to use the marked disabled bays.

• Options
    Addickted said:

Addickted said:

But your original post suggests that is not the case any longer.

What's not the case any longer?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Are you, as a non local, able to use a designated disabled parking bay in Southend with your blue badge?
  • Options
    Write to the shitty local authority and tell them that the estuary freezes over before you spend a penny in their money grabbing dump ever again.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

Are you, as a non local, able to use a designated disabled parking bay in Southend with your blue badge?

Yes if you can find one a lot of the car parks don't have any, just you have to pay full price when a local doesn't.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Ok. I thought that every car park had to have designated disabled parking bays.

SHG's advice is probably the best action to take. May be an idea in future to check local Councils policies on disabled parking and just boycott those who operate like this.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

SHG's advice is probably the best action to take. May be an idea in future to check local Councils policies on disabled parking and just boycott those who operate like this.

Having been there so many times before, I had no reason to think it would have changed, especially to something so unfair, but I definitely won't be going back don't worry lol
  • Options

Addickted said:

Parking is a nightmare if you're a blue badge holder as invariably it's difficult to get accurate information and there are certain places that have a separate scheme. If both of my daughters are with me I have to unload two wheelchair users and if I can't find a suitable space then I'm fucked for the day.

The other massive problem is the amount of fraudulent use of blue badge parking permits which nobody does anything to address. They are handed out far too readily and loads of people use those of family members to avoid parking fees when the person is not with them. I have often been unable to park with my daughters because the spaces are taken by people using them fraudulently - if it was made a criminal offence and prosecuted then this might stop. It's caused me massive stress and numerous arguments over the years - it never ceases to amaze me how selfish some people are.

Most people are incredibly ignorant of the problems wheelchair users face and sadly this includes local authorities, the NHS, public transport, retailers, architects etc.... The list is endless.

It is a criminal offence and councils do prosecute.
    I can see little evidence of this in London given the level of abuse I've seen - it's far too easy to get away with. Where does the criminal offence apply? Is it only on public roads?

The worst cases I see are in car parks(stations and retail) and in area where it's difficult to park. I've observed retail and station car parks where I'd say up to 50% of those I've seen park are using them fraudulently.
  • Options

Addickted said:

Parking is a nightmare if you're a blue badge holder as invariably it's difficult to get accurate information and there are certain places that have a separate scheme. If both of my daughters are with me I have to unload two wheelchair users and if I can't find a suitable space then I'm fucked for the day.

The other massive problem is the amount of fraudulent use of blue badge parking permits which nobody does anything to address. They are handed out far too readily and loads of people use those of family members to avoid parking fees when the person is not with them. I have often been unable to park with my daughters because the spaces are taken by people using them fraudulently - if it was made a criminal offence and prosecuted then this might stop. It's caused me massive stress and numerous arguments over the years - it never ceases to amaze me how selfish some people are.

Most people are incredibly ignorant of the problems wheelchair users face and sadly this includes local authorities, the NHS, public transport, retailers, architects etc.... The list is endless.

I can see little evidence of this in London given the level of abuse I've seen - it's far too easy to get away with. Where does the criminal offence apply? Is it only on public roads?

The worst cases I see are in car parks(stations and retail) and in area where it's difficult to park. I've observed retail and station car parks where I'd say up to 50% of those I've seen park are using them fraudulently.
    It would be an offence under the Fraud Act and I suspect some road traffic laws. The fact you don't see enforcement doesn't mean it's not going on and to be honest, neither are you in a position to accurately judge in all cases whether a badge is being used fraudulently justby looking. That's not to say it's not happening because clearly it is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Addickted said:

It would be an offence under the Fraud Act and I suspect some road traffic laws. The fact you don't see enforcement doesn't mean it's not going on and to be honest, neither are you in a position to accurately judge in all cases whether a badge is being used fraudulently justby looking. That's not to say it's not happening because clearly it is.
    I know what the criteria are for issuing a blue badge and can easily see when they're being used fraudulently - there's certainly little attempt to enforce the law. I have had years of observing this and some of the examples are so blatant they're laughable. When an able bodied twenty something jumps into a sports car sporting a blue badge and speeds off whilst I've had to wait for twenty plus minutes for a parking space to unload my two wheelchair bound daughters then perhaps you'd get the point.

If it affected you personally you might take it more seriously and not be so trusting of the great British public. I have been transporting my daughters round in their wheelchairs for the last fifteen odd years and also worked in healthcare and rehab so I can make a pretty good judgement about such issues.
  • Options

Addickted said:

I know what the criteria are for issuing a blue badge and can easily see when they're being used fraudulently - there's certainly little attempt to enforce the law. I have had years of observing this and some of the examples are so blatant they're laughable. When an able bodied twenty something jumps into a sports car sporting a blue badge and speeds off whilst I've had to wait for twenty plus minutes for a parking space to unload my two wheelchair bound daughters then perhaps you'd get the point.

If it affected you personally you might take it more seriously and not be so trusting of the great British public. I have been transporting my daughters round in their wheelchairs for the last fifteen odd years and also worked in healthcare and rehab so I can make a pretty good judgement about such issues.
    just because someone is twenty something and driving a sports car doesn't mean they can't have a disability entitling them to a blue badge.

That said I can understand your frustration and there is widespread misuse of blue badge spaces from using someone's else's badge illegally to just parking in a disabled space because you can. There are a lot of very selfish, inconsiderate people out there.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Addickted said:

I know what the criteria are for issuing a blue badge and can easily see when they're being used fraudulently - there's certainly little attempt to enforce the law. I have had years of observing this and some of the examples are so blatant they're laughable. When an able bodied twenty something jumps into a sports car sporting a blue badge and speeds off whilst I've had to wait for twenty plus minutes for a parking space to unload my two wheelchair bound daughte3rs then perhaps you'd get the point.

I understand your frustration and I agree I'd throw the book at the type of person you describe if they are using a badge fraudulently. You're making a number of incorrect assumptions about me also but rather than derail Sadiejane's thread further we'll leave it there I think.
  • Options
    We had the opportunity to apply for a blue badge for our son but decided against it.
    We managed fine over the years and it turned out we really didn't need one, but one of the reasons
    we didn't apply was because he has an invisible disability, and this could of lead to confrontations
    with people accusing us of being frauds, causing more stress than it was worth.

This site is worth reading.

https://invisibledisabilities.org/ida-books-pamphlets/accessibleparking/dontjudgebyappearances/

Back to the subject in hand, my opinion is that you should not have to pay for parking depending on
    where you visit.

If a borough does not have any disabled people living in it, by law it would still have to make sure all
    public buildings and transport connections are accessible to disabled people.

So why should the parking rules be different?
  • Options
    A couple of points to make.

Westminster started the "local only" trend, due to the number of visitors to the West End and shortage of parking spaces in the Borough. Whether you agree with it or not, the logic was that they were trying to preserve free spaces for their own local tax payers.

I know someone with a heart condition who has a blue badge, and their is no outward sign of any disability. I believe there are also several former military personnel with PTSD who qualify for a badge.

Badge fraud is rife, but prosecutions are common. Bromley Borough has a "task force" dedicated to badge abuse and I believe many other councils do too. The most common error is not having the badge holder in the car when it is parked or when leaving the parking space.

I know a guy who visited a public pay car park (a Sussex town centre) and all spaces were full. He parked in the disabled space and paid the full fee.
    A few days later he was contacted by the police to arrange a meeting at a time/place convenient for him. The meeting took place at his office where a uniformed PC asked him about the incident.

He explained that all the spaces were full, and he used the only type of space that was remaining (there were plenty of available badge spaces), his argument was that if the disabled spaces were full and a badge holder arrived - they would use a regular space, so why wouldn't the opposite apply?

The PC agreed, and no further action was taken.

We live on an island - space will always be a factor in one form or another.
  • Options
    Bedford station has two entrances, the main entrance which records your approach and everyone pays, although you can ring them and state your case, and an entrance for taxis and disabled parking in which I never pay, although less than ten spaces I'm usually lucky, most users find it confusing and I'm always relieved when I don't have a ticket.
  • Options
    Not good, but probably not Southend council at it's worse. None of the following are any cop either:

- Removing coach spaces from the largest of the seafront car parks, so that coaches have to park on roads around the town.
    - Demolishing a perfectly workable roundabout at Victoria Circus (the clue is in the name) and replacing it with an awful traffic light system that snarls the town up - They were more concerned with picking up a (Thames Gateway?) grant, than in actually thinking about how the money could be properly used.
    - Introducing shared vehicle/pedestrian spaces where no-one has a clue what's going on.
    - Sticking the world's most hideous statue (note: it's by a Belgian artist) outside Victoria Station. It does look better now though after a local stuck a pair of Vans on the woman's feet and gave the bloke a skateboard.
    - Lighting the above statue from a solitary in-pavement uplighter placed underneath the woman's legs. Consequently when it's dark you see nothing of the statue but a pair of glowing shins.
    - Rejecting countless proposals to redevelop the pier. All my life we've been waiting for something to go down there. None of the submitted plans were perfect, but any one of them would have been better than nothing.
    - Refusing to accept rubbish from neighbouring boroughs resulting in 10 mile cross-town trips for people with with rubbish to dispose of, adding to the towns traffic and fly tipping problems. (In fairness to the council, I think this happens elsewhere and is a consequence of poorly written legislation).
  • Options
    I still need signatures :cry:
  • Options
    Sadie - I'm confused by your posts.

I worked for the DfT for many years and actually ran the Blue (or Orange as it was at the time) Badge Section.

As you know, the Blue Badge Scheme only applies on-street. Therefore, rightly or wrongly, councils do not have to give free parking to badge holders in their off-street car parks. And many councils throughout the land do indeed not allow badge holders to park free in off-street car parks.

However, on-street parking is a completely different kettle of fish. Forget about the situation in central London - the 4 authorities have never been part of the national scheme - but elsewhere local authorities are obliged to give free parking to badge holders where others have to pay. So I don't understand why Southend are now stating that Blue Badge holders cannot park at on-street parking meters free of charge without a local badge. Unless the law has changed, they simply can't do that.

Are you sure the meter spaces you claim you now cannot park on without a local Badge are on a public highway? If so, I would suggest you raise the matter with the DfT immediately.