Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Public displays of grief for someone you don't know

I realise I'm in a minority nowadays but this trend that started with the death of Lady Di really does my head in. It's been a great boost for florists but it does my nut in.

Watching the Diana doc with Tony Blair talking about the 'people's princess' is like a spoof.

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The last public people I ever cried over ...

Princess Diana
    Steve Jobs

• Options

I realise I'm in a minority nowadays but this trend that started with the death of Lady Di really does my head in. It's been a great boost for florists but it does my nut in.

Watching the Diana doc with Tony Blair talking about the 'people's princess' is like a spoof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1H913UqQ6w
    Think he sums it up pretty well. The mass hysteria in Britain was pretty shocking.
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1H913UqQ6w
    Think he sums it up pretty well. The mass hysteria in Britain was pretty shocking.
    And it's still going. Utterly bizarre. I'm amazed people can get out of bed in the morning with all the grief they must have to process every time a stranger reaches their end
  • Options

Princess Diana
    Steve Jobs

George Cole. Each time.
    No .when I can't believe it.
    This cannot be true
  • Options

Princess Diana
    Steve Jobs

George Cole. Each time.
    No .when I can't believe it.
    This cannot be true
    Has he died again?
  • Options

The Dianafication of a nation. Load of mawkish bollocks.
  • Options
    I think it's got more to do with social media than Di
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSWN6Qj98Iw

See that Donald? Would you like the same?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It seems unusual for any game to not start with a minutes silence (or applause, which is even more annoying) nowadays. players may just as well have a black armband sewn permanently onto their kits to save time. It preceded Diana in football - a minutes silence for the Chelsea chairman Matthew Harding at all games played that weekend. A very sad death and a tragedy for his family and possibly Chelsea fans, but for everyone else?
  • Options
    I honestly don't recall crying when someone I've never met died (context: I once cried when a nice old lady got some very good news on Antiques Roadshow, and don't get me started on the film Babe). Sometimes I go "that's a shame" or that's a surprise (like that guy from Soundgarden Chris Cornell) but never tears
  • Options
    Clearly remember my parents crying when Churchill died, so did most of the nation.
  • Options
    I seem to recall going on a beano (pre planned) on the day of Lady Di's funeral.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Clearly remember my parents crying when Churchill died, so did most of the nation.

Were they alive during WW2? I can definitely understand that
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I didn't cry but I was moved by Diana's death, whether I got swept along with the public grief,maybe, but I don't think so. I even went and laid some flowers in Ken Gardens, admittedly it's on my doorstep, so didn't go out of my way.

I'm not a royalist far from it but she did seem the exception from the vile others and while I'll except, she probably was equally manipulated to suit a particular image, I still felt she had a genuine feel to her, if one can ever say that about a royal.
  • Options
    http://www.rentamourner.co.uk/

Not a job for any of you, then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Spare a thought for the woman that originally played Peggy in Eastenders
  • Options
    Lots of grief here when the King died last October.

No doubt much more to come when the funeral eventually takes place.
  • Options

It seems unusual for any game to not start with a minutes silence (or applause, which is even more annoying) nowadays. players may just as well have a black armband sewn permanently onto their kits to save time.

Liverpool FC
  • Options
    Really never understood why Lady Diana was referred to as the 'people's princess'.
    She came from a family of aristocrats with over 500 years of noted history.
  • Options
    limeygent said:

Do we have to meet somebody for them to touch our lives in some important way, or for us to grieve their passing? Maybe as we get older our outlook changes? I've certainly shed a tear or two for people I've never met.

Totally agree.

Two that spring to mind for me where I shed genuine tears of grief - John Lennon and Muhammad Ali.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    I can find my eyes leaking when I, unintentionally, end up watching a tv program about a child, or children, suffering or dying. Weirdly though I find they leak much more when there is an unepexted turn for the better and the child makes some kind of recovery.

I don't, however, understand, in any way, the public emotions at the death of 'celebrities'.

Must admit to a lump in my throat when we have our minutes applause at The Valley each year with the names of fans that have passed away on the big screen. I would never have met any of them but I read each and every name and, for reasons I can't explain, have to concentrate not to shed a tear - no wailing out loud, obviously, but still... That is one of the most unpleasant, and the most wonderful minutes of the year.

That video of the ET at Kensinging Palace made me cry as well - with laughter. :-)
  • Options

It seems unusual for any game to not start with a minutes silence (or applause, which is even more annoying) nowadays. players may just as well have a black armband sewn permanently onto their kits to save time. It preceded Diana in football - a minutes silence for the Chelsea chairman Matthew Harding at all games played that weekend. A very sad death and a tragedy for his family and possibly Chelsea fans, but for everyone else?

This minutes silence thing that's crept in on a regular basis now at our games for people with no connection to the club used to piss me off big time but now, as long as I know it's going to happen, I recognise it as an opportunity to spend a little longer savouring a pint or have a piss. Perhaps a rendition of 'who the fcking ell was he?' from fans at clubs where there was no connection might discourage the club and the EFL from imposing these things on its customers.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

limeygent said:

Do we have to meet somebody for them to touch our lives in some important way, or for us to grieve their passing? Maybe as we get older our outlook changes? I've certainly shed a tear or two for people I've never met.

Totally agree.

Two that spring to mind for me where I shed genuine tears of grief - John Lennon and Muhammad Ali.
    A lot of people cried at Lennon but that's a great example - he really wasn't a very nice person, especially behind close doors.
  • Options
    The reaction to Diana was terrifying (and of course it was pre social media) - I always thought the cynical Brits could never get whipped into a collective frenzy.

I recall thinking the minutes silence after the Soham murders to be especially odd too - I wonder who at the FA decides which murders of children (all equally tragic) warrant such treatment?