Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

5 bad albums from bands you loved!

2»

Comments

• Options
    ashley said:

Kojak Variety by Elvis Costello gets my vote. It was a load of jams where he tried to reinvent himself as a screaming R&B howler with a load of session musicians, it laid about unreleased for 2-3 tears and that how it should of stayed.

Worst thing was he played Shephers Bush with the Attractions and after a couple of numbers virtually pushed them to the back of stage so he could welcome his new best mates who had played on said album. These were admittedly superb musicians but it was like watching a self indulgent private rave up.

The rule of thumb that I have always found to work when deciding whether or not to play any album by Costello is to avoid like the plague if he is sporting a beard or other facial hair on the front cover .Otherwise you are generally on safe ground .
    He lost me after Armed Forces!
    My loss, probably.
  • Options
    Every RHCP album after Calafonication.
    Guns N Roses - Lies, The Spaghetti Incident? and I have avoided Chinese Democracy like aids.
    Metalica St. Anger is an utter disgrace.
  • Options
    Everything after Infinity Land by Biffy Clyro. Just not the same band from Puzzle onwards.
    Little Kix by Mansun.
    A Different Kind of Fix by Bombay Bicycle Club.
  • Options

Every Metallica album after Justice

I'd agree with St Anger, but the likes of Hardwired/Death Magnetic are more than decent albums for a band now in their 50s.
  • Options

1. Speak and Spell - Depeche. So glad Clarke left and they moved on from that to great things like Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, Violator etc etc...

No doubt that the Gore stuff is better than the Clarke stuff, but I think Speak and Spell still stands up in it's own right a a decent collection of early 80s electro pop. Had this album, come out after the others I'd think you'd be absolutely right to call it out, but for me it's part of a progression where the Mode got better and better so naming it as a 'bad' album seems a little harsh.
  • Options
    ashley said:

Kojak Variety by Elvis Costello gets my vote. It was a load of jams where he tried to reinvent himself as a screaming R&B howler with a load of session musicians, it laid about unreleased for 2-3 tears and that how it should of stayed.

Worst thing was he played Shephers Bush with the Attractions and after a couple of numbers virtually pushed them to the back of stage so he could welcome his new best mates who had played on said album. These were admittedly superb musicians but it was like watching a self indulgent private rave up.

The rule of thumb that I have always found to work when deciding whether or not to play any album by Costello is to avoid like the plague if he is sporting a beard or other facial hair on the front cover .Otherwise you are generally on safe ground .
    I liked Mighty like a Rose (where the beard was almost ZZ Top proportions) but otherwise you've probably nailed it. Also some of the "collaborations" were pretty forgettable.
  • Options
    Stig said:

1. Speak and Spell - Depeche. So glad Clarke left and they moved on from that to great things like Black Celebration, Music for the Masses, Violator etc etc...

No doubt that the Gore stuff is better than the Clarke stuff, but I think Speak and Spell still stands up in it's own right a a decent collection of early 80s electro pop. Had this album, come out after the others I'd think you'd be absolutely right to call it out, but for me it's part of a progression where the Mode got better and better so naming it as a 'bad' album seems a little harsh.
    My view too. I freely admit it's not a 'mature' album, but it's a lot of fun, and contains goid tracks. Had it come later on, you could criticise it easily enough, but it was a good album of it's time.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    JiMMy 85 said:

Oggy Red said:

A couple of albums off the top of my head:

Yes - Tales of the Topographic Ocean

R.E.M - Monster

Some of Monster has dated really well. Circus Envy is a brilliant tune. Maybe not King of Comedy though. Think I'd plump for Around The Sun myself.
    My choice would be Green. ATS is not their best but it does have a certain autumnal beauty about it, exemplified in particular by Boy in the Well.
  • Options
    " Remember you're a Womble" by the Wombles.

It was that difficult second album,
  • Options
    Incubus - if not now when... few good songs but mostly fillers.
    Killswitch Engage - seconds self titled album - such a let down. Lead vocalist left after it.
    Metallca - st anger - already mention on this thread. 3 good songs, the rest are poor.
    System of a down - hypnotise ... toxicity was never going to be followed up.
    Pendulum - in silico - couple of ok tracks, overall poor.

The OP's mention of James greatest hits, really? I think it's brilliant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017

Not a place for Beetle lovers who loathed the arrival of Glam Rock, or Hip Hop lovers who hate Indie music. This is those bands you loved, grew up on, and suddenly either lost it completely, or decided they just wanted a number 1 álbum and turned out something unbearable (Stand up Coldplay)
    I'll offer my five, mostly from my youth when I used to take my music very seriously (still do really).

1. Ultravox - UVOX. Even band member Billie Currie described this album as 'U-BEND'. I bought it new and to this day haven't managed to finish listening to it as it was such a let down.
    2. Adam and the Ants - Prince Charming. featuring the naff Ant Rap, and the horrible title track, and sadly the more than half decent Stand and Deliver
    3. OMD - Pacific Age They split shortly afterwards, and this one shows the lack of ideas and general weariness, which is sad given what a breath of fresh air they were when they arrived
    4. Depeche Mode - Construction Time Again. Funnily enough, they went on to achieve real greatness after this non event, but I found it totally unlistenable
    5. Queen - The Game. The title track should have been warning enough

Special shout out to James - Greatest Hits. 2 hits and about 14 B-sides.

Okay, over to anyone else who can do better, or who thinks I have attacked good music undeservedly.

I didn't mind Uvox , Midge was trying to hard with the politics and it was a kind of Electronic folk album .
    Pacific Age was a time when paul & Andy was struggling with which way to go with the OMD sound , Mcluskey was on a mission to break America and this was the result ! Back in Business now with a new album and tour next month " The Punishment of Luxury"
    Again with Depeche Mode , this was the first album with Alan WILDER and the sound and song writing was going in a different direction , mind you this was a better album that their last four offerings.
  • Options
    Coda, by Led Zeppelin. Though as it wasn't necessarily an earnest effort and attempt at creating an album (it was released to both settle a tax bill, and to help arrest the outpouring of bootleg stuff), I'm not sure how fair a suggestion this is.

For an actual album, released in earnest, then Tutu by Miles Davis. I'm really not a fan of that album.
  • Options

Stig said:

My view too. I freely admit it's not a 'mature' album, but it's a lot of fun, and contains goid tracks. Had it come later on, you could criticise it easily enough, but it was a good album of it's time.
    Its a Album of its Time , just great Synth pop and still one of my fall back albums .The Mode of today are more a Rock band , me I prefer the electronic Synth side of music , that's not to say I don't listen to the new stuff and go to the gigs, I still do .
  • Options
    Sparkle in the Rain - Simple Minds. Could sense they were heading for the stadium rock with New Gold Dream. This one confirmed it.
    The Unforgettable Fire - U2. (see above: actually I'd add that the religious influences and pomposity that seemed charming on Boy and October started to wear thin on War and just got more and more overblown.
    The Queen is Dead - Smiths. Marr was getting better musically and Morrissey had stopped setting poems to music and started making songs out of extended one liners.
    Let's Dance - Bowie. Some of this is OK, and I like a lot of the things Nile Rodgers has been involved in, but the 80s overproduction and under-powered songs mean I give it a miss. I mean, what is "serious moonlight"? And that was on the best single from it after the banal Modern Dance and cringey borderline racism of "China Girl".
    Cut the Crap - The Clash - hey, everyone agrees with this, don't they?

Conscious that all of these mark a break with the band and all happened in my late teens/early 20s, so wouldn't read too much into it. Most of the bands I really liked didn't get beyond 2-3 albums. There are probably others I could add if I had my record collection at my fingertips.
  • Options
    rananegra said:

Sparkle in the Rain - Simple Minds. Could sense they were heading for the stadium rock with New Gold Dream. This one confirmed it.
    The Unforgettable Fire - U2. (see above: actually I'd add that the religious influences and pomposity that seemed charming on Boy and October started to wear thin on War and just got more and more overblown.
    The Queen is Dead - Smiths. Marr was getting better musically and Morrissey had stopped setting poems to music and started making songs out of extended one liners.
    Let's Dance - Bowie. Some of this is OK, and I like a lot of the things Nile Rodgers has been involved in, but the 80s overproduction and under-powered songs mean I give it a miss. I mean, what is "serious moonlight"? And that was on the best single from it after the banal Modern Dance and cringey borderline racism of "China Girl".

Conscious that all of these mark a break with the band and all happened in my late teens/early 20s, so wouldn't read too much into it. Most of the bands I really liked didn't get beyond 2-3 albums. There are probably others I could add if I had my record collection at my fingertips.

According to John Peel ( RIP ) Simple Minds didn't release a decent album after Reel to Reel . Sons and Fascination/ Sister Feelings is however one of the best ever .I think that is extremely harsh to pan Sparkle in the Rain .There are some great tracks . I still play The Kick Inside with its urgent attacking slightly distorted guitar opening at full volume after a bad day at work beer in one hand , cigarette in the other .Whatever works I suppose !

Unforgettable Fire is packed with filler around some great singles and the title track was at the time of its release the best thing that they had ever done .To my mind however it is still a better recording than say Porcupine by Echo and the Bunnymen which was a complete dirge laden write off after track 2 - Back of Love.

Anything by Bowie / Tin Machine in the 90s is also garbage .Why call it anything by the Chameleons was also a step too far after three great earlier albums .Looks like they agreed as well unfortunately splitting up for a second time after that one itself a long time coming .

I have been persuaded by some mates to see Sisters of Mercy on Friday at the Roundhouse and am beginning to regret that already .As you say I wouldn't read too much into that all of this being of a time and a place .

• Options
    After Rumours Tango in the night and everything after couldn't live up to that monster.

Peace in our time by Big Country lost the passion of the first two albums and the polish of The Seer. Haven't really listened to their stuff after that.

I used to buy loads of stuff after hearing one interesting track / single. Most of the albums are extremely average imho. - Bands including The Levellers, Fine Young Cannibals, 29 Palms, New Radicals, Dodgy, Republica, Foster The People & The Darkness to name a few.

But then music is such a personal thing. Isn't it?
  • Options
    One By One - Foo Fighters - all filler except the overplayed All My Life and Times Like These.

Battle Studies - John Mayer - utter shit after 3 terrific albums on the trot.

• Options
    Every Kings of Leon album after the first two, which were superb.
  • Options
    ashley said:

rananegra said:

According to John Peel ( RIP ) Simple Minds didn't release a decent album after Reel to Reel . Sons and Fascination/ Sister Feelings is however one of the best ever .I think that is extremely harsh to pan Sparkle in the Rain .There are some great tracks . I still play The Kick Inside with its urgent attacking slightly distorted guitar opening at full volume after a bad day at work beer in one hand , cigarette in the other .Whatever works I suppose !

Unforgettable Fire is packed with filler around some great singles and the title track was at the time of its release the best thing that they had ever done .To my mind however it is still a better recording than say Porcupine by Echo and the Bunnymen which was a complete dirge laden write off after track 2 - Back of Love.

Anything by Bowie / Tin Machine in the 90s is also garbage .Why call it anything by the Chameleons was also a step too far after three great earlier albums .Looks like they agreed as well unfortunately splitting up for a second time after that one itself a long time coming .

I have been persuaded by some mates to see Sisters of Mercy on Friday at the Roundhouse and am beginning to regret that already .As you say I wouldn't read too much into that all of this being of a time and a place .

Funnily enough Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call is my favourite Simple Minds album(s). I remember it as Empires and Dance was their response to Europe and SaF/SFC was the US. Peel wasn't right about everything, but a lot like the rest of us clearly had a cut off point with bands (except The Fall). Harsh it may be, but it is a personal thing - frankly Status Quo do that 12-bar plodding stuff so much better than Waterfront.

Mind you, I quite like Porcupine. Not my favourite (which is Heaven Up Here) and it is not a bright record, but it still works for me.

Good luck with the Sisters of Mercy.

• Options
    Sisters of Mercy - Roundhouse 1/9/2017 . I felt ( truly and genuinely ) too good looking to be there . It was frightening in many respects .That is of course conceited and narcissistic but as someone once said : Beauty is Truth ,Truth Beauty and that sums it up really and it is impossible to get away from that reality even if you wanted to .There was lots of dry ice and there were lots of people wearing black clothing with wording such as "Killing Joke , Nephilim , Mission , Bauhaus and " Reptile / Alice / First /Last / Always ". It was loud and sweaty and very well attended . I felt like an extra in the film Solomon Kane / Aguero the wrath of God or some such given the number of anatomically repulsive / bald headed types cavorting to Corrosion , First /Last , Madeline , Alice , Dominion and flanking me on all sides .Astonishing how many people were willing to pay to turn up to,this event and view a band who have released nothing new in about thirty years .Most songs sounded exactly the same only slightly faster or slightly slower than what preceded.I could hear but I could not decipher a single word that the lead singer yelled and intonation / voice coaching would in his case go a very long way.I enjoyed the company of my friends and the audience watching but a found this to be a very tough gig indeed .Good luck to anyone going along tomorrow . You will need it .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2017

JiMMy 85 said:

Oggy Red said:

A couple of albums off the top of my head:

Yes - Tales of the Topographic Ocean

R.E.M - Monster

Some of Monster has dated really well. Circus Envy is a brilliant tune. Maybe not King of Comedy though. Think I'd plump for Around The Sun myself.
    My choice would be Green. ATS is not their best but it does have a certain autumnal beauty about it, exemplified in particular by Boy in the Well.
    Wow. Green! Stand is a bit silly (although nothing compared to Wanderlust) but I don't think I'd skip a single one of those songs. World Leader Pretend is one of the best things they ever did too (especially live in Charlottesville).

As for ATS - leaving New York is lyrically the worst thing Stipe ever wrote. "Leaving was never my proud" - oh fuck off that doesn't make any sense whatsoever! And the rapping on The Outsiders...just no!!
  • Options
    Pink Floyd - Endless River
  • Options
    Solidgone said:

Pink Floyd - Endless River

Took me along time to get into this, but Im slowly warming to it as time goes by.
  • Options
    The Clash - Sandinista
    Sex Pistols - Rock an Roll Swindle
    Elvis - Imperial Bedroom
    The Cure - Kiss Kiss Kiss
    The Stranglers - Gospel according to the meninblack.