Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Board/card/dice games

2»

Comments

• Options
    Used to love this, and lost valley of the dinosaurs

• Options

sam3110 said:

Newmarket, also known as Michigan

We taught our 3 grandchildren Newmarket last week while in a caravan on The IOW. They absolutely loved it.
    Always played this at xmas when we were young, along with Chase the Ace & another card game called Pit.

• Options
    I used to have a game called Blokus Duo that I loved, lost it somewhere along the lines (house moves or ex girlfriend posession splits!), so looked up how much it was to but, expecting £10-15.

£120! Apparently it's not made anymore so you need to import or buy a £100ish second hand one.

I didn't like it that much!
  • Options
    A simple game I used to play with my mum and auntie and cousins just using pen and paper.
    You start off with five or six categories, for example boys names, girls names, countries, football teams, animals then someone chooses a letter and you fill in all your answers.
    you get a point for every answer that no one else has thought of.
    Not sure if it has a name but kept us amused for a couple hours.
  • Options

A simple game I used to play with my mum and auntie and cousins just using pen and paper.
    You start off with five or six categories, for example boys names, girls names, countries, football teams, animals then someone chooses a letter and you fill in all your answers.

Very similar to Scattergories.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    When we were kids, the traditional post-Christmas tea entertainment was gin-rummy with my Nan and Grandad, although admittedly most of the entertainment was in Nan attempting to catch Grandad out at cheating. These days it tends to be "Happy Families" ( the cute woodland version rather than the gruesome Victorian classic one), with the additional house rule that you have to say "please may I have" and "thank you" when attempting to take a card from another player, and you have to give it back to them if you forget. Entertainingly, my Dad is normally the one that gets done for failing to observe the social niceties, which is ironic given that he was the one that instituted the house rules in the first place.

Another fun game is Fluxx, although as they've introduced more version they've added additional complexity which is sometimes counterproductive. The best ones are probably Star Fluxx (especially if they've seen enough Star Wars/Trek/Dr Who etc to get the references) or Pirate Fluxx. I normally suggest starting with the Keepers, Goals and Actions cards only for a few hands until they've got the idea, and then add in the Rules cards. Leave the Creepers and Surprise cards until you're sure they're not going to have a major strop at being unexpectedly thwarted on the brink of victory, and if you find a deck that still has the Inflation rule in, take it out cos it just confuses everyone.
  • Options
    Make your own Jumanji? (That would keep them busy!)

You've got to admire this guy's skill (and his equipment!)

https://youtu.be/f2k17LhD6_U
  • Options

Very similar to Scattergories.
    We used to call that Silly Buggers.
  • Options
    Euchre but you need 4 to play so depends on numbers