Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jorge Costa coming back...

edited May 2007 in General Charlton
Don't remember anyone mentioning this before, but Jorge Costa is coming back to the Valley, bringing his Sporting Braga side over for a pre-season friendly....

http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?nid=30882&newstype=n

Comments

• Options
    two games on August 1st and Ebsfleet - Eurghh!! Why change the name
  • Options
    part of me just thinks 'and' ???

Jorge Costa would not of been anywhere near as popular if it wasn't for that song. FACT
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]part of me just thinks 'and' ???

Jorge Costa would not of been anywhere near as popular if it wasn't for that song. FACT

Really? Thought he did a good job when he was here. Know he came for his own reasons (mostly to get back into the Portugal World Cup squad), but played well while he was here. Highlight for me being his comments before the Chelsea game, saying that Hasselbaink had never scored against him, and he wasn't about to let that change. We won 1-0.
  • Options
    Mr Bartram Woah!
    Mr Bartram Woah!
    He cuts right to the chase
    Jorge only passed through the place
  • Options
    Jorge Costa Woah,
    Jorge Costa Woah,
    Although Millwall he slated,
    He still was over-rated
  • Options
    AFKA has a point as we only won one of all the games he played in.

But their was something about him and it wasn't just the song I think he was taken to people's hearts because he was the first real big name to join us (that was any good) in a long time.

Be good to have him back at the Valley but he is a legend due to the circumstances not his long service to the club.
  • Options
    I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM READING THIS THREAD. JORGE COSTA OVER RATED. GO AND WASH YOUR MOUTHS OUT

AND YES I AM SHOUTING
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: mad83[/cite]AFKA has a point as we only won one of all the games he played in.

But their was something about him and it wasn't just the song I think he was taken to people's hearts because he was the first real big name to join us (that was any good) in a long time.

Be good to have him back at the Valley but he is a legend due to the circumstances not his long service to the club.[/quote]

Can't believe that.
    We must have won more than that?
    We won that game at Stamford Bridge for a start

And have to disagree with AFKA
    he was awesome at the back
    his experience and reading of the game allied with Rufus' pace and strength was the best central defence partnership of our team in the Premiership in my book
  • Options
    http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=16673&seasonid=131

think he did a good solid job for us in a season i think we could off been in trouble.
  • Options
    he reminded me of an overweight Manuel, the way he run around stuck to the attacker.

I think he did well, i'm not disputing that. But i don't think he was awesome, and had it have been another player on loan and not an international name, who's name fitted well into a novel song, i don't think there would of been much of a fuss.

Had Curbs been offered the chance to sign him permenantly on big wages, i reckon he would of said no, as i think Costa would of been found out for his lack of pace and his style of following the striker into non-danger areas wide and ddeep, laeving a gap behind.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Had Curbs been offered the chance to sign him permenantly on big wages, i reckon he would of said no, as i think Costa would of been found out for his lack of pace and his style of following the striker into non-danger areas wide and ddeep, laeving a gap behind.

Apparently Curbs did have an option to buy him, but chose to buy Rowett.... nuff said!
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Gentleman I am not saying he isn't a legend and that he didn't play well.

But be that as it may we did only win one game with him in the side and I am 90% sure of that, I tried to check on the OF but couldn't find it.

But he qualify for his legend status in a less conventional way then say Kins or Browny years, of service and bleeding CAFC, Jorge must have a place for us in his heart I'm sure, but that man bleeds Porto.
  • Options
    I thought he was a solid defender although he did have some stinkers - Walsall in the cup he got the runaround.
  • Options
    Well according to the soccerbase stats above he made 24 appearances for us (22 starts and 2 sub appearances). In that time we won 8, drew 8 and lost 12, so that's a total of 28 games, so the minimum number of games we could have won with him playing would be 4.
  • Options
    check the link i posted earlier soccerbase has the games he played for us looks like we one about 6 or 7 which if you take into mind we stoped wiing games in feb back in them days.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]part of me just thinks 'and' ???

Are you on a wind UP Mr AFKA

[cite]Posted By: 1905[/cite]I CANNOT BELIEVE I AM READING THIS THREAD. JORGE COSTA OVER RATED. GO AND WASH YOUR MOUTHS OUT

AND YES I AM SHOUTING

Hear hear 1905 HEAR HEAR

How dare they
  • Options
    I rated him and I think he came because he fell out with the then Porto manager who refused to pick him again. I remember when he signed and I thought *the* Jorge Costa...or knowing our luck it would another unrelated Jorge Costa who was half as good. I think at times he struggled with the pace of the Premiership and I liked that butter wouldn't meltin my mouth look when he upended a player and looked at the ref as though to say sorry...

Time would have told whether he would have adjusted to the pace of the Premiership or not, but as he went home and won the UEFA Cup, the Champions League and several domestic competitions in Portugal there can be no arguments about his class, plus he filled a post Rufus gap and played a part in a double over Chelsea.
  • Options
    i'm the new Mike Parry :-)

next weeks debate: should goalkeepers wear blindfolds for penalties ?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]i'm the new Mike Parry :-)

next weeks debate: should goalkeepers wear blindfolds for penalties ?

Lol!!

Mike Parry, what a plonker he is. Still Talkshit has been built around the model that he created. One pro footballer and one loud mouthed idiot, contriving arguments which would put the average barrack room lawyer to same.
  • Options
    Costa played every game after he joined coming on at Chelsea as sub when we won 1-0

We did the double over Spurs and Chelsea with him in the side.

I think AKFA "talksport" BArtram is putting the cart before the horse. He had his name sung because of the player he was with us. A clever, physical player withno pace but who rarely let players get past him. He marshalled the defence wonderfully - he made Fortune look like a great player - and had some charecter. He knew every trick in the book, and some more, moaned to refs and did that latin praying thing with his hands when things went wrong. He was the type of leader that we could have done with this year.

The FACT that he went on the win the UEFA Cup and captain a Champions league winning side tells me he was better than he is being given credit for.

And I heard we had no chance of ever signing him. He was only over to keep his world cup place, which he did BTW and when the new Porto coach was appointed (Jose someone, can't remember what happened to him) he was straight back in the side and captain.

Next week on talksport with Charlton Life

Monday AFKA argues that tall people are naturally superior
    Tuesday Carter calls for return of death Penalty for speeding
    Wednesday Curb-it asks what all the fuss about Chris Powell
    Thursday Rothko demands a return to Victorian values
    Friday Henry Irving decries the naming of football stands after long dead nobodies
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saturday 3Blokes writes a song about it
    Sunday Medders captures it all on film

My main memory of Jorge is his first tackle which announced his arrival. Can't remember who it was on, but the victim got up eventually.
    He got caught out at times but he did exude nous and my recollection was his presence made us more solid at the back.
    Stats may prove that wrong tho..
  • Options
    And he would have scored against Man U If a certain lisbie didn't get in the way and fff it up.
  • Options
    I always had the impression that Costa was a consumate professional. If he'd played for anyone else I probably would have hated him, because he always seemed to know exactly how far to push it, and got away with just conceding free kicks when other players would have got booked, or on some occasions not even getting penalised at all. It made such a nice to change to have that kind of player on our side rather than playing against us. And as Henry says, Fortune has never looked so good as when he was playing alongside Costa.
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Heard from Curbs himself that we wanted him to stay, and he wanted to stay, but his wife had just had a baby so he decided to go back to Portugal for personal reasaons.

The guy was a superstar and deserves to be a Charlton legend - I'm with 1905 on this. The song started the first match he played for us, which did help with cult status. But what a player - don't forget he went on to lift both UEFA Cup and European Cup with Porto after he left us!
  • Options
    Just because he lacked pace, some people are quick to criticise.

But his reading of the game, general effectiveness and his motivational contribution within the team was invaluable.
    That's what Mourinho also saw when re-instating him as captain in that successful Porto team, after his return from Charlton.