Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spanners too dim

No goal-line technology at three Championship games on Tuesday night - as stadium floodlights aren't compatible.The floodlights at Oakwell, St Andrew's and the Den are not compatible with the Hawk-Eye GLT system, so it will not be operational for Barnsley's home game against Nottingham Forest, Birmingham versus Bolton or Ipswich's visit to Millwall.

Dark ages still at the rusty tool box.

Comments

  • after the Brovers game I travelled up to London whilst sitting next to a Brovers fan .. as we passed the toolbox, I pointed out that it was the home of the hated Millwall .. 'looks like a scaffold yard' said he ((:>)
  • No goal-line technology at three Championship games on Tuesday night - as stadium floodlights aren't compatible.The floodlights at Oakwell, St Andrew's and the Den are not compatible with the Hawk-Eye GLT system, so it will not be operational for Barnsley's home game against Nottingham Forest, Birmingham versus Bolton or Ipswich's visit to Millwall.

    Dark ages still at the rusty tool box.

    They was West Ham... oh sorry, wrong excuse!
  • No goal-line technology at three Championship games on Tuesday night - as stadium floodlights aren't compatible.The floodlights at Oakwell, St Andrew's and the Den are not compatible with the Hawk-Eye GLT system, so it will not be operational for Barnsley's home game against Nottingham Forest, Birmingham versus Bolton or Ipswich's visit to Millwall.

    Dark ages still at the rusty tool box.

    They was West Ham... oh sorry, wrong excuse!
    Must have been the media
  • Is it being used at the other games? That can't be right. Either everyone uses it or no one. You can't have games played using different rules in the same competition.

    Or, am I about to be whooshed?
  • edited August 2017

    Is it being used at the other games? That can't be right. Either everyone uses it or no one. You can't have games played using different rules in the same competition.

    Or, am I about to be whooshed?

    Surely you insist all clubs in the championship get their floodlights up to standard before it can be introduced? Surely it's something that can be done in the off season, mid week and league cup games to be played away if needs be etc.

    Wouldn't be surprised if ours aren't up to standard.
  • http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/10989690/no-hawk-eye-goal-line-technology-at-three-championship-fixtures-on-tuesday

    A bit strange, though presumably the system will work during 3pm kickoffs. It sounds like nobody realised that not all clubs had floodlights that were up to scratch, and it was also discovered during testing. Certainly it's not something I would have immediately considered.

  • Not between late November and early February it won't.
  • The problem is something that can be resolved in the next few weeks, with a few lights needing realigning at The Den and St Andrews, bigger problem is Barnsley as the floodlights there aren't good enough, and temporary ones will be installed in the next few weeks to boost the lighting. I wouldn't be surprised if the Valley would fail if we went up.

    Was a bit of an issue in the Premier League in the first year, and the response was to massively upgrade the lighting at all ground, including work to put lights in which flicker less on high speed cameras.
  • Rothko said:

    The problem is something that can be resolved in the next few weeks, with a few lights needing realigning at The Den and St Andrews, bigger problem is Barnsley as the floodlights there aren't good enough, and temporary ones will be installed in the next few weeks to boost the lighting. I wouldn't be surprised if the Valley would fail if we went up.

    Was a bit of an issue in the Premier League in the first year, and the response was to massively upgrade the lighting at all ground, including work to put lights in which flicker less on high speed cameras.

    I'm sure ours are better than Barnsley's, they still have traditional looking floodlight pylons...
  • Sponsored links:


  • Rothko said:

    The problem is something that can be resolved in the next few weeks, with a few lights needing realigning at The Den and St Andrews, bigger problem is Barnsley as the floodlights there aren't good enough, and temporary ones will be installed in the next few weeks to boost the lighting. I wouldn't be surprised if the Valley would fail if we went up.

    Was a bit of an issue in the Premier League in the first year, and the response was to massively upgrade the lighting at all ground, including work to put lights in which flicker less on high speed cameras.

    I'm sure ours are better than Barnsley's, they still have traditional looking floodlight pylons...
    You can get decent lighting with pylons, but Barnsley lights are what you would describe as a 'warm white'.
  • Oh to be in a league that high that it would matter what lighting we have
    Thanks Roly
  • The Belgians have installed state of the art floodlights at the Valley. I hope they have connected them to the mains network?
  • edited August 2017
    LoOkOuT said:

    How many spanners does it take to change nick a lightbulb?

    I guess we'll find outThe CCTV should nail em.

    Ok so my Spanner baiting powers are weakening... damn you Roland!
  • I have a vague memory that our old pylon floodlights got some award for being the best in London or something like that, back in the 90s.
  • The Belgians have installed state of the art floodlights at the Valley. I hope they have connected them to the mains network?

    Being powered by the boiler apparently
  • Pringle said:

    I have a vague memory that our old pylon floodlights got some award for being the best in London or something like that, back in the 90s.

    I guess that would be these ones:

    image

    Not sure why, but I have a mental block and just don't remember them. Used to love these big old ones though:

    image
  • edited August 2017
    I doubt we'd be able to provide sufficient lighting for goal line technology.

    The percentage of non working or partially working lights on both the east and west stand roofs was running at almost 20% last season
  • Sponsored links:


  • Addickted said:

    I doubt we'd be able to provide sufficient lighting for goal line technology.

    The percentage of non working or partially working lights on both the east and west stand roofs was running at almost 20% last season

    Would need a massive upgrade wouldn't we?
  • Rothko said:

    Addickted said:

    I doubt we'd be able to provide sufficient lighting for goal line technology.

    The percentage of non working or partially working lights on both the east and west stand roofs was running at almost 20% last season

    Would need a massive upgrade wouldn't we?
    No - just some replacement bulbs would do for a starter.

  • Rothko said:

    Addickted said:

    I doubt we'd be able to provide sufficient lighting for goal line technology.

    The percentage of non working or partially working lights on both the east and west stand roofs was running at almost 20% last season

    Would need a massive upgrade wouldn't we?
    No, just a flare thrown on the pitch just before a goal line incident
Sign In or Register to comment.

Roland Out!