Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2017/18 Betting Thread

Comments

• clb74 said:

Be borrowing £50 off his dad to go out friday

As someone with gambelling issues I feel a big responsibility is with the bookmakers.

All they care about is making money not what people are going through and if they need help.

Its easy enough saying when the fun stops stop but its not always about fun not if you have a problem.

When I am having a bad day with my depression betting is an escape from my problems until I lose and I feel even worse than before.

Daily limits should be a law.
  • clb74 said:

As someone with gambelling issues I feel a big responsibility is with the bookmakers.

All they care about is making money not what people are going through and if they need help.

Its easy enough saying when the fun stops stop but its not always about fun not if you have a problem.

When I am having a bad day with my depression betting is an escape from my problems until I lose and I feel even worse than before.

The bookies will find a way round that one e.g. he only lost his original stake!
  • clb74 said:

Yep been there paulie.
    If they wanted to do more online the bookies could ask to see what you earn and then let you have a percentage of your income.
  • clb74 said:

Did the bookmaker make him throw all his winnings on another bet instead of walking away or banking the winnings and just reinvesting his stake?
  • clb74 said:

Did the bookmaker make him throw all his winnings on another bet instead of walking away or banking the winnings and just reinvesting his stake?
    No but gambelling addiction is a problem
  • People need to exercise self-control though. We’re all capable of becoming alcoholics, drug addicts and gambling addicts, but some people know when to stop or when to say no. It’s not society’s job to control that.
  • Respectfully that's a very ignorant and simplified point of view on addiction. I don't have the time to go through all the ways you are wrong but i'm sure somebody will be along to fill you in at some point soon.
  • Of course it’s simplified. I don’t need to list all the reasons and factors that cause addiction because they’re pretty well known. It’s not untrue though that it could happen to any of us and it’s not untrue that many of us have self control and discipline which stops it happening. Whenever I’ve done anything stupid or irresponsible with money I don’t blame anyone but myself. There just seem to be too many excuses about what the government/society are failing to do with gambling and other similar issues and less and less responsibility taken by individuals.
  • If you knew anything about addiction on a neurological, sociological, genetic and psychological level then you would know that addiction is the antithesis of self control by it's very nature. People with addiction are consumed by it and even those "on the wagon" so to speak are never truly free of it's influence for a lifetime.

Yes there is significant personal responsibility but to suggest that there are not societal factors involved is laughable. Sorry I have to leave it there as I have masses more to say but I have somewhere to be, although I would be happy to continue the conversation at another point.

• JaShea99 said:

People need to exercise self-control though. We’re all capable of becoming alcoholics, drug addicts and gambling addicts, but some people know when to stop or when to say no. It’s not society’s job to control that.

Wow- Literally just because you/me/ man down the road has more self control you cant say the same for everyone. When its rammed down their throats any sporting event with constant adverts, team sponsors/ its literally everywhere

To your average person its fine you might get suckered in for the odd bet here and there or even dont bet, however if you have an addiction its like anything its not straight forward at all.

In my view we can do alot more, for starters why do we need to have constant betting adverts? Or maybe it should be after 9-10pm as after all you need to be over 18 to bet?

There is a certain amount of personal responsibility too, but often its out of their control as they will lose their mind and be in a bubble and before they realise they have got in too deep and often can spiral.

Even threads like this that are on here, Paulie must think when its near the top or unread i'll just have a look but then once see a few bets might then decide to put on a cheeky bet.

Its not easy and everyday is a battle for someone with a gambling problem, see i bet quite often when i win. But will normally stick to £10-15 a week for footy unless i win then i will use that and build up to withdraw or lose and start again the following week. Although i do put the odd bit more on bigger events like the national but not more than i can afford.
  • Sponsored links:

• @bobmunro , just a quick query following the GN question i hope you dont mind as you are not the bookie...

I saw on Cxxxx bookies last night a darts treble enhanced , they put up but had the wrong name on it, which i didn't back but notified them via twitter(no response shock). If i had backed it would i have got the stake back?

Anderson, MVG, Wright (2nd match vs Gurney) to win, technically they all won but Wrights 2nd match was against Barney, didnt even play Gurney lol. If i had put bet on would i be held to it as it states the winners, but incorrect opponent for one?

They are rubbish on Customer service, i queried the other week about the boxing results where they get them? no response, also one about snooker qualifiers when wasn't up a day before ( wanted to bet to qualify not actual match)
  • I'm caught on the fence of this debate, I've always said that if there was one of the 3 main addictions I could get addicted to would be gambling, and at times have maybe felt like Paulie did, however, I do feel no matter what a bookies does, there will always be people saying they should do more etc. There is plenty of options for limits, options to take breaks and it is obviously easy to put bets on with a click of a button. However remember effectively they are a business. I found myself sticking only a 5er on here and there before Xmas when watching a live game, it all adds up when you don't get a winner. I then went on a break online for a month and really helped, still stuck a weekly acca on at the bookies (which helps people stay employed) I found that has helped and have got back to enjoying football for the game rather than feeling the need to put a bet on to enjoy it. Not sure if that would help with you but if you really do feel like that, then I would suggest that when you are feeling good within yourself to shut all the accounts down, by all means go into the bookies, exercise is always good and will mean your more likely to put bets on you've thought about rather than spur of the moment bets.
  • edited April 2018

clb74 said:

No but gambelling addiction is a problem
    this is true but this guy i doubt has a gambling addiction roma/liverpool double is a speculative punt at best, i would say its greedy as opposed to a problem.

as you say with drinking a pub will stop serving if you are too drunk but where do the bookies stop it? £25 for some people is too much, the biggest bet i've ever had was £480 on tony bellew a few years back, its v hard to set limits without knowing your punter and the internet you have no face etc.

aswell gambling addicts will just open accounts with every bookie and do a multitude of bets across them, the online slots and gaming i got quite bad with a few years back so every betting account i have has these blocked, im mainly a horse man a couple of football accys a week.
  • @bobmunro , just a quick query following the GN question i hope you dont mind as you are not the bookie...

I saw on Cxxxx bookies last night a darts treble enhanced , they put up but had the wrong name on it, which i didn't back but notified them via twitter(no response shock). If i had backed it would i have got the stake back?

Anderson, MVG, Wright (2nd match vs Gurney) to win, technically they all won but Wrights 2nd match was against Barney, didnt even play Gurney lol. If i had put bet on would i be held to it as it states the winners, but incorrect opponent for one?

They are rubbish on Customer service, i queried the other week about the boxing results where they get them? no response, also one about snooker qualifiers when wasn't up a day before ( wanted to bet to qualify not actual match)

All bookmakers are different when it comes to applying discretion. In the scenario you describe I would like to think we would have honoured the bet (as a winner) and refunded stakes if it lost. But it would have been perfectly reasonable (if a little mean) to refund all stakes on the bet as the information was incorrect.
  • bobmunro said:

@bobmunro , just a quick query following the GN question i hope you dont mind as you are not the bookie...

All bookmakers are different when it comes to applying discretion. In the scenario you describe I would like to think we would have honoured the bet (as a winner) and refunded stakes if it lost. But it would have been perfectly reasonable (if a little mean) to refund all stakes on the bet as the information was incorrect.
    Yep i did wonder , i didn't back even though thought not a bad bet. I think common sense should be if they win should stand but refund if lose (if challenged really). But also wouldn't blame them for keeping as a losing bet as it states Wright to win, quite a bad error on their part.
  • I've only ever had a PP account and its been empty for the last month. Looking to put some national bets on tonight.

Am I best just topping up my PP or is there any others that would make sense opening a new account with?

• I've only ever had a PP account and its been empty for the last month. Looking to put some national bets on tonight.

Am I best just topping up my PP or is there any others that would make sense opening a new account with?

Look at best offers AFKA, not sure who that would be at the mo sorry but most are pretty easy to use, i probably have about 5- but only use 2 of them.

Loads of different offers with the bookies
    Some offer bet a tenner you get another 30 poinds worth of bets.
    Need to read the terms though.
    Opened betway account last year the deposit and bonus came to £100 and you had to play it through about 8 times.
    So if you win £500 you cant just withdraw it

If it's just for a National bet then (yes I would say it!!) our half stake refunded on all EW National bets cannot be beaten. Need to get on by midday tomorrow.
  • bobmunro said:

I've only ever had a PP account and its been empty for the last month. Looking to put some national bets on tonight.

If it's just for a National bet then (yes I would say it!!) our half stake refunded on all EW National bets cannot be beaten. Need to get on by midday tomorrow.
    Unless the horse comes 6th
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:

bobmunro said:

I've only ever had a PP account and its been empty for the last month. Looking to put some national bets on tonight.

1/4 first 5 with that offer aint bad.

If you want, you can bet up to 10 places!!
  • bobmunro said:

clb74 said:

bobmunro said:

1/4 first 5 with that offer aint bad.

If you want, you can bet up to 10 places!!
    Its alright bob your lot have the mortgage money this month
  • bobmunro said:

Isnt that the same as bet365 are offering
  • what bookies are you with @bobmunro? (sorry if it's been mentioned before)
  • bobmunro said:

Isnt that the same as bet365 are offering
    Yes Paulie!
  • what bookies are you with @bobmunro? (sorry if it's been mentioned before)

It may have been mentioned one or two times before!!

bet365
  • didn't realise it takes 24 hours to increase deposit limit only have £25 to bet with on 365 :(
  • oh gives stake back as soon as bet is placed. Good stuff.
  • edited April 2018
    Back from a little two week break from betting with a very nice winner to start the weekend off, 9 fold BTTS across French ligue 2 and dutch 2nd div - 2 quid at 45-1 very nice indeed Auxerre to the rescue with an 86th minute goal! Always seems to be loads of goals in those two leagues.

Also got a couple of quid on villa/leeds draw, cork city, Betis, Parma and Sporting Braga 42-1 not looking so great with villa ahead though!
  • edited April 2018
    Hardly ambitious, but I have Montrose and Peterhead (top and second having both won their last three) home to Berwick and Cowdenbeath respectively, who have one win in their last five between them and are bottom and second bottom. The double is evens.