Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Heather Pyke crowdfunding

Comments

• Options
    Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for up-to-date info, I will continue to not get insurance for the EU whilst we are in it though.

Like an awful lot of people. So what would you do if you or one of your family had a serious illness which meant you need 2x Nurses and 2x doctors to repatriate you? Or meant you were in Boulogne hospital for 3 months, you all didn't get your planned flights home, extra hotel costs etc?

I get the 'I can get medical care in the EU' which 99% of the time is adequate but the other 1% not having insurance can cost you 10's of 1,000's. I reckon my dad spent over £20k with my sister and that's probably without the continual trips to France and hotels etc.

When you consider the cost of a family holiday I don't see why you wouldn't spend a few £'s more for that added security. Do you buy/have life insurance or not bother?
    It is a risk I am prepared to take.
  • Options
    redman said:

Doesn't everyone take insurance for the EU as well. I always take cover for Spain, for example.

I haven't clicked on the link so can't comment on the lady in question but there are, potentially, more deserving people of my spare money than someone that could afford a holiday but chose not to take the insurance.

Then you are needlessly handing over your money to some of the biggest legally operating fraudsters in the world.

I was under the impression that The EHIC will not cover the cost of repatriating you to the UK should this be necessary?

That is what it looks like they are asking for £25k for.

Does the EHIC cover flying one across Europe in a hospital bed in a coma?

If so then, I guess, I have been wasting my money, save for the cover it gives me against theft, loss of possessions and cover for not being able to travel if I'm too sick to do so.
    EHIC only entitles you to get medical cover that would be available to a local. This varies considerably from country to country to country within the EU. It certainly doesn't cover repatriating you to UK. It's generally not that expensive, although does more expensive when you get older and pre existing conditions. Personally I would always recommend people to take it out. However shop around, say with comparethemarket, and rarely buy direct from travel agent or travel company.
    Don't delay though, get on to it straight away. Don't make the mistake I did once thinking I had plenty of time after booking a holiday and going. We had to cancel and lost the lot.
    Never buy from travel agent or travel company unless you like wasting money because they charge 3 / 4 times what you should pay . Just buy direct from an Insurance Co. there's enough on the internet. Even the cheapest will get you full medical cover & repatriation.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Thanks for up-to-date info, I will continue to not get insurance for the EU whilst we are in it though.

Like an awful lot of people. So what would you do if you or one of your family had a serious illness which meant you need 2x Nurses and 2x doctors to repatriate you? Or meant you were in Boulogne hospital for 3 months, you all didn't get your planned flights home, extra hotel costs etc?

I get the 'I can get medical care in the EU' which 99% of the time is adequate but the other 1% not having insurance can cost you 10's of 1,000's. I reckon my dad spent over £20k with my sister and that's probably without the continual trips to France and hotels etc.

When you consider the cost of a family holiday I don't see why you wouldn't spend a few £'s more for that added security. Do you buy/have life insurance or not bother?
    Fair enough, your call, but for roughly the price of a family takeaway (£30) you can insure a family of 4 for a fortnight in Europe, so to 'risk it' for that sort of money to me seems ludicrous when even the cheapest holiday for a family of 4 abroad must be 100 times that. An average single person is under £15.

Why would you risk it? Can't be cost as if money was that tight on holidays you wouldn't be taking one.......
  • Options
    I got travel insurance for 2 weeks interrailing round Europe for £6.88. It's basically nothing. Always worth doing.
  • Options
    coverwise travel insurance for the year including the states for annual is £27.36 so worth having.
  • Options
    Doesn't Cordoban Addick live in Cordoba ?
  • Options
    She's died.
  • Options
    I have travel insurance included with my HSBC bank account, but always ring them before going away, a) to make sure I'm covered in whatever country I'm going to, and b) so they can make a note if my cards being used a lot as I've had them temporarily stopped before (on a weekend in Birmingham, of all places) as I'd used my credit card there a number of times in a day.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

Cordoban, I genuinely hope you are never ill if you travel within Europe. Rob7Lee's experience is evidence enough, but in fact you wouldn't be covered for 99 per cent as he suggests - you would be covered for very little. I see everyday the consequences of people saving 20 quid on insurance / relying on the EHIC, and then getting charged thousands for essential treatment and having to fund it themselves.
  • Options

Doesn't everyone take insurance for the EU as well. I always take cover for Spain, for example.

I haven't clicked on the link so can't comment on the lady in question but there are, potentially, more deserving people of my spare money than someone that could afford a holiday but chose not to take the insurance.

Then you are needlessly handing over your money to some of the biggest legally operating fraudsters in the world.

Prague, why is that insurance premium needless? You may think that insurance companies are the biggest legal fraudsters in the world, but they are the ones that foot the bill when you need to be repatriated if you are injured overseas.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:

She's died.

What happens with everyone's money now? Do they get a refund?
  • Options
    I assume they'll want to bring the body back home for a funeral.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

I assume they'll want to bring the body back home for a funeral.

I suspect they should give all the money back and start another page for bringing the body home but I, also, suspect that they will not do this.

The £7k could be used for funeral expenses - I'm assuming the EHIC won't pay for that either!
  • Options
    Good point Kings.

I'm in agreement with the people who say it's her own fault and shouldn't be asking for money.

• Options
    Im guessing looking at the photos, that she may have existing conditions that may have either loaded or prevented cover
  • Options
    found this thread very interesting as had never thought about repatriation costs etc.

To me if you, personally have enough money to take the risk you probably needn't bother as you can afford the insurance but it is your choice.

If you cannot afford the repercussions then it is quite a selfish act as the people left behind are the ones whose suffering is enhanced and prolonged.
  • Options
    Even more reason for taking out cover despite the premium.

I'm diabetic and have an annual world policy, costs a bit more because of the existing medical conditions but a least I have peace of mind knowing I'm covered.
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

Doesn't Cordoban Addick live in Cordoba ?

I moved back to blighty a few years ago but felt emotionally attached/couldn't be arsed to my name. It lends me a mystique that I don't really deserve.

If I have an accident my wife will be crowd funding on here (she used to be a season ticket holder) and my two kids are called Clive & Deano.
  • Options
    Earlier on you said not having insurance was a risk you're prepared to take.

But if it goes wrong you then expect others to stump up.

• Options
    iaitch said:

Earlier on you said not having insurance was a risk you're prepared to take.

But if it goes wrong you then expect others to stump up.

Yep for the sake to £15-20 premium that's a bit of a piss take to be honest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Taking out (fairly priced) insurance is essential where a worst case scenario has potential to be financially devastating.

Ignoring any legal obligations to be insured regardless, for most except the very richest this would include travel insurance, life insurance, home insurance, car insurance (due mainly to third party liability) etc.

However for the likes of extended appliance warranties, mobile phone insurance, credit repayment insurance and even (for many) home contents insurance it is definitely not essential and indeed in many cases a rip-off.
  • Options

We (family of four) never ever take insurance out for travelling in EU. Have a look at your household insurance it will probably cover you for any loss or theft of items up to a certain amount.
    Most probably NOT. Unless you have spent extra to get "premium" cover which includes an "All Risks" element. Otherwise you'd need to pay extra and put a financial limit on the total value of the cash, phones, tablets, kindles, laptops, clothing, jewellery, cameras, etc, etc that you want to take out of the house (or possibly British Isles anyway).
  • Options
    FFS, unless I am being majorly wooshed, I was being flippant. I won't take insurance in an EU country and I won't get my family to crowdfund.

I will live on the edge a just a little.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

We (family of four) never ever take insurance out for travelling in EU. Have a look at your household insurance it will probably cover you for any loss or theft of items up to a certain amount.
    Most probably NOT. Unless you have spent extra to get "premium" cover which includes an "All Risks" element. Otherwise you'd need to pay extra and put a financial limit on the total value of the cash, phones, tablets, kindles, laptops, clothing, jewellery, cameras, etc, etc that you want to take out of the house (or possibly British Isles anyway).
    What I take comes under my insurances threshold for individual items. Why take expensive things on holiday, I do stuff when I get there.
  • Options
    Lot of careless souls on this thread. If only everyone in this world could be as smart as you lot.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Lot of careless souls on this thread. If only everyone in this world could be as smart as you lot.

I think most people have passed on good useful information but you're right if only the idiots willing to go without insurance when travelling abroad were as smart as most on here
  • Options
    edited August 2017

FFS, unless I am being majorly wooshed, I was being flippant. I won't take insurance in an EU country and I won't get my family to crowdfund.

I will live on the edge a just a little.

You're not being whooshed you're being a fool (in my opinion) and putting your loved ones at risk.

Something as small as one of your kids having an allergy you aren't aware of (they reckon this is about 20% of kids under 5 have an allergy the majority of which haven't yet been spotted) could easily be triggered by new food you experience abroad (happened to me). Your EHIC will cover basic medical costs as is available to locals (depends on the country) but you could easily be left with a bill of tens of thousands. Are you happy to pay that? Would you have to ask friends and relatives to help you out? Crowd funding?

Seriously for the sake of what is less than £5 per person per week, why on earth would you not?
  • Options

Well I'm definitely not going to crowd fund you then :-)
  • Options

I was told that if you have a EHIC cover you will only be treated in government funded hospitals. In some countries these are few and far between which would be a major problem if your condition meant you needed immediate attention. Of course the person who told me this was trying to sell me travel insurance so I'm not sure they were being entirely honest with me.

The hospital in Palma, Majorca is not a government funded hospital. I've no idea what the bill would have been when my son severed his tendon and had to have an operation and an overnight stay. Luckily I took out insurance.