Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

flight question.

booked a trip for october and last week paid it off, literally 2 days later one of us couldn't go and so ive contacted them and asked;

can any of the money be refunded?, if not can names be changed on accomodation.

so we have booked flights

heathrow to new york
new york to vegas
vegas to gatwick

and accomodation

3 nights nyc.
4 nights in las vegas.

there response back to me is accommodation is no problem aslong as the amount of rooms used don't change.

regarding flights, no refund and you would have to buy the flights again at £1219.00 ( which is todays value of them ).

there an independant company that i have used many times in the past but i feel like this is a slight piss take

any advice welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    Many tickets are non-refundable and/or non-transferable.

It depends on the T&C at the time you made the purchase. Have a look at your confirmation.
  • Options
    If the person that can't go has taken out a decent insurance policy, they should be able to reclaim it all on that.

One should always take out insurance as soon as the holiday is booked.

My mate had all of his "holiday" to Vegas refunded when he couldn't go this April.
  • Options
    @Covered End what insurance policy would that be and what would be a legitimate reason for not going that the insurance company would pay out on.
  • Options
    Yes, the insurance you should have taken out will cover it, but the airlines are unlikely to refund you or a travel agent directly.
  • Options
    Have you got travel insurance through your bank account?
    If so, you may just be able to claim on that.

We did when we cancelled our trip to Vietnam earlier in the year when my father-in-law was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Having said that, we had to get a letter from his GP confirming it so not sure what reason you could give. Am sure you could claim a reason through work commitments or something like that.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    The independent company you used are not the carrier, and it's the carrier's Ts & Cs that are important. The default for flights is that they are non-transferable either changing the flight or the passenger name.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

@Covered End what insurance policy would that be and what would be a legitimate reason for not going that the insurance company would pay out on.

Travel insurance, my mate couldn't go through illness. Nothing drastic, but he has constant leg pain after contracting shingles in January and decided he didn't want to risk it.

His travel insurance refunded everything, it was more than £1K.

Legitimate reasons for cancellation would be in the T&C of the insurance policy.
  • Options
    When I saw this I thought it was going to aviary related
  • Options
    long story short, its a couple that were meant to be coming who have now split up, i cant find anything in the companies t&c's but then they will revert back to carriers terms which is what we would do in there situation all be it different industry.
  • Options
    You will be able to claim back any taxes associated with the flight(s) and you may be able to pay a fee to change the names if someone else is able to take their place - these will be the terms and conditions of the airline, not the agent / intermediary you bought them through.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    looked into virgins t&cs, and unfortunately its the way they work, will pursue down insurance route but don't think much will come of it, cheers all for advice.
  • Options
    Do they they have travel insurance, some policies are annual, not just for a single trip ?
  • Options
    Virgin Atlantic does not permit entire name changes to another customer as tickets are non-transferable.
    Any corrections made outside of the policy will be subject to ADM as part of the audit process.
    Bookings must be created using the customer’s full first and last names as they appear in their passport. It is essential that the name shown on a booking, ticket and the customers passport are exactly the same.
    Middle names and Titles are not required for travel, however if they are added to the ticket, they must be displayed in the correct order.
    If a ticket has been issued in the customers married name and their passport displays the maiden name (or vice versa) or they have legally/officially changed their name, documentation must be supplied to prove it is the same customer. For amendments of this nature you must contact Virgin Atlantic Sales Support to action.
    In the event of a death of one of the travelling customers please contact Virgin Atlantic Sales Support.
  • Options

Do they they have travel insurance, some policies are annual, not just for a single trip ?

yes they do, although ive split up with my bird would that be acceptable?.
  • Options

I don't know. They/you will have to read what they are covered for.

If not covered for that some less scrupulous people may discover another reason that does cover them.

I wouldn't condone that of course.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
  • Options
    Can get a refund of the not inconsiderable taxes but no insurance will pay out for splitting up.

name change is at airlines behest but you didn't book through them, you used a 3rd party so probably invalidates any name change possibility.
  • Options
    You could find someone on the interweb with the same name and take them instead. Some people in Bristol took a Manc away with them.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-39492096
    I'm here to help :wink:
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

You could find someone on the interweb with the same name and take them instead. Some people in Bristol took a Manc away with them.

What's she like? Could get someone to change their name by deed poll.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You've still got three months to get them back together
  • Options

long story short, its a couple that were meant to be coming who have now split up, i cant find anything in the companies t&c's but then they will revert back to carriers terms which is what we would do in there situation all be it different industry.

I'd say it's ultimately the responsibility of the person who's pulled out to pay. You shouldn't be expected to cough up for someone else problems.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I'd say it's ultimately the responsibility of the person who's pulled out to pay. You shouldn't be expected to cough up for someone else problems.
    Yes. Been stung twice by people who have committed to a trip then backed out before they paid up in full. Never again. Get the money up front or else don't include them from the start.
  • Options
    Have they refused to pay or just looking at options to minimize their loss ?
  • Options
    oh no they have realized they will have to pay, but was to see if they could re-coup any of there money, ive just told them the news and unfortunately they'll have to get on with it.
  • Options

I could always sort out some train tickets for you.
  • Options

HarryLime said:

What's she like? Could get someone to change their name by deed poll.
    I would not concern myself with that, I'll do anything for a freebie.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

Yes. Been stung twice by people who have committed to a trip then backed out before they paid up in full. Never again. Get the money up front or else don't include them from the start.
    I bet they were Brexiters.