Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tax question re: medical insurance

Dear all, I recently set my government gateway account up with hmrc and saw that I have the below benefit/medical insurance.

I'm baffled by this as I have never received or been aware of such a benefit. It's for the last tax year and I have been with my current employer for 3 years. Does anyone know what/how it got there

Comments

• Cheers bob
  • If you have never had it I'd click the 'I've never had this benefit link'.
  • bobmunro said:

cabbles said:

Dear all, I recently set my government gateway account up with hmrc and saw that I have the below benefit/medical insurance.

I'm baffled by this as I have never received or been aware of such a benefit. It's for the last tax year and I have been with my current employer for 3 years. Does anyone know what/how it got there

The Company have a legal obligation to inform HMRC of any benefits in kind - company car, private medical insurance and so on. Your company must have informed them that you are in receipt of such a benefit and the value of that benefit. It should also have appeared on your P11D statement, which I assume you didn't get.

I would suggest you ask your company if you are indeed in receipt of the benefit, and if so add that it would have been nice of them to tell you and by the way where's my P11D?

If you are not in receipt of the benefit then just inform HMRC.
    Correct, as someone who's had the dubious pleasure of preparing P11d statements! Each employee should get a P11d, while the same information is then sent to HMRC

Apart from anything else, employees need to be told that any benefits in kind are taxable, and that with areas like private medical insurance, the cost will vary dramatically on how old you are - someone came off our scheme as the taxable benefit and hence the tax paid by him (he was in his 60s) became really high.
  • I came off mine too. My premium and hence the tax became too high especially considering so much wasn't covered because of certain health conditions.

I too do the P11D's for my place, pain in the arse they are.
  • addickson said:

Maybe it wasn't meant for you but they got @tibbles name wrong?

Haha - yeah all the employees down at the hmrc also know me as cabbles