Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Computer chair for indoors at the PC.

So the arm rest has broken off my quite dilapidated and very well used computer chair.
I dislike the new chair event generally. Disposal and assembling ( the old one will go in the shed).
Everybody is an individual and everybody's bums have different tastes, but does anybody have any good suggestions that don't cost the earth?

Comments

• Options
    Depending on how long you spend sitting on it it can be a false economy to buy a cheap chair.

I work from home and I've had back and shoulder problems in the past and I was recommended one of these:

https://www.wellworking.co.uk/chairs-c2/task-c4/herman-miller-aeron-chair-classic-p361/s363?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=herman-miller-aeron-classic-chair&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdbLBRALEiwAm8pA5def8RRueSLk00lxGQgRzblksnbC0XKJbMrGDsqZLG3cLHX_kfoShhoCeWMQAvD_BwE

And even though it looks expensive they last, virtually, for ever so they never need replacing. I haven't had back ache even if I sit in the chair for twelve hours a day.

If you think about paying £2k for a sofa that you might sit on for a couple of hours a day for, say five years, this chair looks quite good value for money.
  • Options
    I got mine from Posturite - http://www.posturite.co.uk/positiv-r600-ind-task-chair-high-back.html

Cost is about £300 now but I negotiated and work paid for it...no problems with my back since I got it last year.

I agree that cheaper options can be a false economy...they don't last as long; often don't fit together properly; and can give back problems.
  • Options
    Having had some back problems, Mrs cafcfan had one of these (not this exact model but you get the idea) issued to her at work by the occupational therapist. https://chairoffice.co.uk/prod/1436/funky-wooden-kneeling-chair.aspx

You sort of kneel on the front pad and sit on the rear one. There is no back support. The idea being that the position you sit perch in forces your back into the correct position. She said it was great and helped cure her problem.

I tried one also for a while but didn't really get on with it. I like slouching and having arm rests and it tended to make the knees on your suit trousers wear out/go all shiny. But it's the thing to have if you have back problems apparently.

My current chair is about to wear out, I think I got it from ebuyer who have quite a selection including things described as "gaming chairs". I guess these are designed to sit in for long, long sessions!

A word of caution. Gas lifts can fail. Where I worked some of the security stations were manned 24/7. The operatives tended to be retired plod who had lived on a diet of beer and doughnuts. A chair decided it had had enough of this treatment one day and the gas exploded. Ouch doesn't come into it.

So, if you're on the heavy side and buying a gas lift chair check the max weight load.

• Options
    cafcfan said:

Having had some back problems, Mrs cafcfan had one of these (not this exact model but you get the idea) issued to her at work by the occupational therapist. https://chairoffice.co.uk/prod/1436/funky-wooden-kneeling-chair.aspx

You sort of kneel on the front pad and sit on the rear one. There is no back support. The idea being that the position you sit perch in forces your back into the correct position. She said it was great and helped cure her problem.

I tried one also for a while but didn't really get on with it. I like slouching and having arm rests and it tended to make the knees on your suit trousers wear out/go all shiny. But it's the thing to have if you have back problems apparently.

My current chair is about to wear out, I think I got it from ebuyer who have quite a selection including things described as "gaming chairs". I guess these are designed to sit in for long, long sessions!

A word of caution. Gas lifts can fail. Where I worked some of the security stations were manned 24/7. The operatives tended to be retired plod who had lived on a diet of beer and doughnuts. A chair decided it had had enough of this treatment one day and the gas exploded. Ouch doesn't come into it.

So, if you're on the heavy side and buying a gas lift chair check the max weight load.

One of these is pink sounds like the job Seth. ;-)
  • Options
    seth plum said:

So the arm rest has broken off my quite dilapidated and very well used computer chair.
    I dislike the new chair event generally. Disposal and assembling ( the old one will go in the shed).
    Everybody is an individual and everybody's bums have different tastes, but does anybody have any good suggestions that don't cost the earth?

Was it your mouse arm rest or the rocking motion of your free arm?
  • Options
    Have a word with @Tel. Sorted me out with one a few years ago, comfortable still going strong despite having to regularly support my not inconsiderable bulk.
  • Options
    I've just bought one from Ikea and had it delivered. Chair £39, delivery £7.50, assembled easy enough for me and so far so good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here's what I use. Ideal for sitting back and reading the Article 50 thread.
  • Options
    Depends how long you sit there and what sort of sites you are looking at.

Ikea do a nice leather one which is good on your bum even with clothes on, and has a handy tissue dispenser on the arm rest.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    You don't need a chair, just sit on the sofa and get the wife to stand there operating the PC. Obviously allowing her breaks to make dinner and carry out household chores.
  • Options
    Do you really want to spend £130 squid? See my earlier post.
  • Options

Do you really want to spend £130 squid? See my earlier post.
    I work from home and spend time in it in the evenings as well, I can be sitting in one for up to 12 hours a day so I do tend to buy the more expensive chairs.
  • Options
    Bought my daughter one a year ago. couldnt face buying a new one. Went to predominantly office in Lee, who have a wide selection for you to try out. As she was small they had the perfect one for her. She didnt like the lecture though on how to sit up straight.
  • Options
    dogpat65 said:

Bought my daughter one a year ago. couldnt face buying a new one. Went to predominantly office in Lee, who have a wide selection for you to try out. As she was small they had the perfect one for her. She didnt like the lecture though on how to sit up straight.

This is just down the road from me.
    I wondered about them, presumably second hand stuff, is it that they do really swanky and expensive chairs at a knock down price?
  • Options
    seth plum said:

dogpat65 said:

This is just down the road from me.
    I wondered about them, presumably second hand stuff, is it that they do really swanky and expensive chairs at a knock down price?
    2nd hand Office furniture where refurbishments taking place. Certainly worth thinking about what you want, and what your budget is and go and have a chat. Stock seems to change frequently.

My Daughters chair was good quality, but not one of the aeron types. Got hers for 45.00 and it was as configurable as the more expensive ones. Think the aeron ones are 3-400 in the 2nd hand market
  • Options

Depending on how long you spend sitting on it it can be a false economy to buy a cheap chair.

I work from home and I've had back and shoulder problems in the past and I was recommended one of these:

https://www.wellworking.co.uk/chairs-c2/task-c4/herman-miller-aeron-chair-classic-p361/s363?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=herman-miller-aeron-classic-chair&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwtdbLBRALEiwAm8pA5def8RRueSLk00lxGQgRzblksnbC0XKJbMrGDsqZLG3cLHX_kfoShhoCeWMQAvD_BwE

And even though it looks expensive they last, virtually, for ever so they never need replacing. I haven't had back ache even if I sit in the chair for twelve hours a day.

If you think about paying £2k for a sofa that you might sit on for a couple of hours a day for, say five years, this chair looks quite good value for money.

I'd also recommend the Herman Miller chair.

I used to buy cheaper chairs from PC World etc and they might be OK to start with, but the padding in the seat goes and it feels like you're sat on a stool. I got my Herman Miller from Predominantly Office a few years ago for £400 instead of £1k new (at the time they also listed their stuff on ebay but not sure if they still do). It came with the extra lumbar support and looked brand new when I got it, and still does. Before I went there I saw one on display in John Lewis and sitting in it for just a few minutes convinced me the investment was worth it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Have a word with @Tel. Sorted me out with one a few years ago, comfortable still going strong despite having to regularly support my not inconsiderable bulk.

More than just a few years now.....Ive been in Australia since 2011...coming home soon though. Glad the chair was as good as I claimed it to be!
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/FydMvyM857M
    Just make sure you don't end up like this guy
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    This thread prompted me to look up replacing gas cylinders on ageing computer chairs. Mine's on the way out and slowly sinks to the lowest level. While easy to do apparently it's usually more cost efficient just to buy a new chair. But one fix was to use a jubilee clip on the column positioned at the level you use. I had a clip lying about, so I've popped it on. So far so good.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    @seth plum If you don't mind a second hand one this place is quite good. Near Honor Oak station
  • Options
    Yep, I got my computer chair from there donkeys' years ago and it's still going strong.