Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Camping

2»

Comments

• Options
    I don't mind anyone going camping, but nowdays its all luxury tents, built in groundsheets, separate pods etc etc. Try it the old way of having to put up the sides, paillasses filled with straw & latrines filled with foul smelling blue dye.
  • Options

I don't mind anyone going camping, but nowdays its all luxury tents, built in groundsheets, separate pods etc etc. Try it the old way of having to put up the sides, paillasses filled with straw & latrines filled with foul smelling blue dye.

Nah I think i'll stick to my pop up tent thanks.
  • Options

yer, eggs are longer powdered either
  • Options
    shine166 said:

MrOneLung said:

isn't camping for people who can't afford holidays?

Quite a unnecessary thing to say no ?
    No, was just a tongue in cheek comment.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

yer, eggs are longer powdered either
    Wanna bet?
  • Options
    Having done Lego Land and Chessington hotels with my son on our annual week away we went camping one year and he loved it, the 2 years since he has chosen camping as the thing he wants to do on our little holiday, he likes it so much when i asked if he wanted to go to Alton Towers this year he said "only if we can camp nearby".

My back doesn't particularly like it but it's worth it watching him think its the best thing ever making bacon and sausage baps on a little camping stove for breakfast every morning.
  • Options
    There's something of a rite of passage about camping with kids.

We start with a fairly small tent camping in fields around Kent and the kids absolutely loved it. The progression was quick to a larger tent which we could all stand up in. No TV's, just loads of board games, listening to the radio, walking and the smell of bacon. I'm really glad I put my kids through it. Finished off with a static caravan in Reculver.

The cycle is about to repeat itself with the grand-children now.

• Options

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek but I'll bite... why would anyone do that?
  • Options
    Camp Wowo in Uckfield.

Good facilities, lovely 40 minute walk to the pub and fire pits.

Kids can roam in the woods and tend to hook up with others their age so pretty relaxing too.
  • Options

Camp Wowo in Uckfield.

Good facilities, lovely 40 minute walk to the pub and fire pits.

Kids can roam in the woods and tend to hook up with others their age so pretty relaxing too.

Are you still talking about the kids here?
    ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Anyone know of anywhere good in northern France not too far from the ferries, say within a 3 hour drive? Looking to get away for a week before the lad starts school and whilst we have money for a hotel etc I would rather give him the full on camping experience and have a bit left for a Christmas break too.
  • Options

Anyone know of anywhere good in northern France not too far from the ferries, say within a 3 hour drive? Looking to get away for a week before the lad starts school and whilst we have money for a hotel etc I would rather give him the full on camping experience and have a bit left for a Christmas break too.

Stayed in a place near Le Mans called the Vieux Moulin (old mill) a couple of times which was nice. Used to be run by an English couple but not been there for about 10 years. Had a small pool and was next to a lovely restaurant. Small village about a 10 minute walk away but not much else.
  • Options

Stayed in a place near Le Mans called the Vieux Moulin (old mill) a couple of times which was nice. Used to be run by an English couple but not been there for about 10 years. Had a small pool and was next to a lovely restaurant. Small village about a 10 minute walk away but not much else.
    Just looked it up, it's under new management and has had a few upgrades: http://www.campinglevieuxmoulinlemans.com/

• Options
    Camping with my kids will be fun. Camping with friends is quality. Camping with my wife... This would be about as much fun as sleeping rough with a heroin addiction
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Camping with my kids will be fun. Camping with friends is quality. Camping with my wife... This would be about as much fun as sleeping rough with a heroin addiction

Probably more fun than going camping with my wife!
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Probably more fun than going camping with my wife!
    I should have added, without the blessed kiss of heroin
  • Options
    Kimmeridge - Dorset
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Worth having a look on this site for France, Athletico.

http://www.campingfrance.com/uk
  • Options

Have a look at the site I posted above....we have stopped at quite a few sites in Northern France....particularly like Fort Mahon Plague (lovely beach), for a town Cambrai or Peronne are pretty good and handy for WW1 & WW2 stuff.
  • Options

Try a night in the garden first, you don't want to be packing everything up at midnight because of strange noises etc when you are really out camping.

The boy is 26, he should be fine :smile:
    Hell be the one making the strange noises then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good morning fellow campers. I've been reading this thread and thought I would share my experience with you over the last couple of days. In a few weeks my oldest daughter is going to be 18 so as an alternative to a party or meal I've decided that 10 of us are going to go to a festival. So I decided to buy a tent so we can stay for the weekend etc even tho the festival two miles from home. I brought one of these air tents took 5 minutes to set up. ( definitely worth the money if you have little ones ). While last night my youngest princess who 3 wanted to sleep in the tent in the garden. So I brought some camp bed and loads of sweets and snacks etc. First mistake I made was not buying her a sleeping bag. We went to bed at 7 pm. We had a little chat she even told me she wants to be now called amelia. I got the snacks out and she was excited. Now my daughter is one of those kids soon as she hits the pillow she a sleep. Not last night 2 hrs of. What that noise. Will the wolf's come and bite us but worse was will someone open the tent door and take me. I asked if she wanted to go back inside but she said no . But had to cuddle her because she was a bit scared. She woke up this morning fine and wanted sweets for breakfast. So I say to all parents who kids want to go camping please just try it out in your garden first. Glad I did because if we would have went off to a campsite I think we would have come home.
  • Options

Kimmeridge - Dorset

Spooky, went there for the day yesterday. Great weather, and strangely enjoyable betting on who would slip over on the algae next.
  • Options
    Went camping to Wales as a kid on family holidays, it rained so much our tent got washed down the hill, vowed to never go again!
  • Options
    edited July 2017

Have a look at the site I posted above....we have stopped at quite a few sites in Northern France....particularly like Fort Mahon Plague (lovely beach), for a town Cambrai or Peronne are pretty good and handy for WW1 & WW2 stuff.
    Thanks @Hastingsaddick that website looks ideal and will check out the areas you suggest.
  • Options

Thanks @Hastingsaddick that website looks ideal and will check out the areas you suggest.
    We also use the Michelin guide...Camping France...it's a really good book, if you don't want to buy the book they probably have an internet site, though I haven't used it myself.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    I've never understood people liking camping.
    The way I look at it is, if sleeping in the garden is preferable to your own bed, in your bedroom, why not do it permanently ?

(Answer of course is some find it fun to do it occasionally, but not me).

Good luck campers.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I've never understood people liking camping.
    The way I look at it is, if sleeping in the garden is preferable to your own bed, in your bedroom, why not do it permanently ?

(Answer of course is some find it fun to do it occasionally, but not me).

Good luck campers.

There are other aspects to it also. There may be the remotest chance of viewing Barbara Windsor's breasts.