Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So there never was a decent budget for this summer, was there?

Comments

• edited July 2017
    Feel sorry for Ricky Holmes he was mugged of like JBG was when he was convinced to sign another contract. JBG was lucky as he was young enough to still be able to make the step up, Ricky may never get that chance now.
  • MrLargo said:

Timely interview with Tubby McScouser. Call me cynical but the bit I've highlighted sounds like chapter 1 of the fairytale entitled "Why we didn't sign any players even though we're really ambitious, going for promotion and told you that we've learned from our mistakes".

I hate him. I hate him for being an obnoxious pain in the arse, and I hate him for clearly signing up to a deal whereby he uses his interviews to make excuses for the owner's lack of ambition.

http://www.kentlive.news/i-made-some-big-mistakes-at-mk-dons-with-signings-reveals-charlton-athletic-boss-karl-robinson/story-30447738-detail/story.html

"I'll be honest with you, I made some big mistakes at MK Dons where I was so eager to bring players in so soon," admitted Robinson. "I did it one year and I didn't bring in the type of player that aided the success of the club. And I learned from that very early on. Sometimes going with what you've got and youth players are sometimes better than who you can bring in immediately.

Obviously been told to bring more youngsters through. We are a player farm after all.
  • Nicholas said:

Feel sorry for Ricky Holmes he was mugged of like JBG was when he was convinced to sign another contract. JBG was lucky as he was young enough to still be able to make the step up, Ricky may never get that chance now.

The fact that RH has signed doesn't mean he won't be sold, just that the buyer needs deeper pockets.
  • Of course not.
  • Our owner doesn't care about Charlton, St Truiden is his priority. Just wish he would fuck off .
  • T.C.E said:

I won't comment on the playing ability of the squad, mainly because I don't know enough about them, the exception being Solly and the skipper. But looking back to last season, Lookman sold and loanees returned their respective clubs. Manager has list of required players 5/6 (if I remember rightly) sadly because some clubs take liberties (because we are Charlton) that number is not achieved. This season 5/6 are required to make the target of promotion achievable, instead 2/3 players are sold/loaned (no fees are disclosed) loanees are returned to their respective clubs with 2/3 players coming in. Been there and heard it all before springs to mind. Have I gone wrong anywhere?

And for half of last season, we had a player of Lookman's quality. The squad we have at the minute is weaker than the one that started last season and too reliant on players such as Watt and Kashi to perform.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anybody that thought Gobby was going to get the Lookman money to spend is living in dream land.
  • edited July 2017
    KR told us it was the biggest budget he had ever had...
  • Scoham said:

Ross said:

Is it the wage bill that is the problem, and not the budget for transfer fees?

We needed them off the wage bill to comply with financial fair play if we brought new signings in?

Nope, not according to the club - http://www.castrust.org/2017/07/david-joyes-salary-cap-protocol-not-a-problem/

At the Fans Forum meeting on 23rd June Chief Finance officer David Joyes made it clear that the salary cap management protocol (whereby player costs must not exceed 60% of turnover) will not be a problem this season for Charlton Athletic.
    He forgot to mention that this was going to be achieved by sourcing players through Volunteer Now*....

*My favourite CSR volunteering organisation, a bit like Business in the Community, but they don't charge organisations (and have organised better events in my experience).
  • To airmans point, youth player sales primarily go to cover operating deficit gap. Player transfer (in) budget is completely independent of player sales. That being said I still contend that we are not in our current position due to lack of spend but rather spending poorly on poor players because decisions are being made by attorneys, administrators and so called businessmen who don't understand football and don't understand how to evaluate talent. If the fees spent in Sarr, Bergdich etc were spent wisely we wouldn't be in league one right now

Indeed. They have spent plenty of money - just incredibly badly.
    So right. Tex is a half decent player, but how many half decent League One players would his annual salary get you? I'd say probably three! It isn't about the money spent but how badly it is and has been spent. And that has a negative effect on us. The people behind our transfers and strategy are useless. But instead, it is always the manager that gets the sack! It is incredible and depressing.
  • KR told us it was the biggest budget he had ever had...

To be fair it probably is. The likes of Pearce, Holmes, Solly, Watt, Kashi, Bauer, Marshall, Clarke etc will almost certainly be amongst the top earners in this division
  • Scoham said:

Ross said:

We needed them off the wage bill to comply with financial fair play if we brought new signings in?

Nope, not according to the club - http://www.castrust.org/2017/07/david-joyes-salary-cap-protocol-not-a-problem/

At the Fans Forum meeting on 23rd June Chief Finance officer David Joyes made it clear that the salary cap management protocol (whereby player costs must not exceed 60% of turnover) will not be a problem this season for Charlton Athletic.
    As high earners will have come off the payroll
  • Crusty54 said:

Scoham said:

Ross said:

As high earners will have come off the payroll
    I think it's more to do with the money that came in from selling Lookman, Fox, JBG, Pope and anyone else I've missed.
  • Sponsored links:

• You see this is where the language barrier causes problems, Roland told Gobinson that he would be getting a decent size budgie this summer!

no doubt perched in the Jimmy SEED stand
  • lolwray said:

You see this is where the language barrier causes problems, Roland told Gobinson that he would be getting a decent size budgie this summer!

no doubt perched in the Jimmy SEED stand
    Who needs the stripy eagle?

• Surely its wages that are the problem not transfer fees. And with crowds of 7-8000 I would guess that budget will only get lower. We were a big club in the lower leagues, currently based on attendances we are a mid table league 1 club and I guess the budget will have to reflect that
    I understand why fans have stayed away and I am one of them but we can't have it both ways
  • edited July 2017
    Halix said:

Can't see how we can complain about a small player budget, whilst still advocating a season ticket boycott, we cant expect to have it both ways.

Sorry Halix posted without reading your post
  • edited July 2017

Maybe I'm an optimist but I still think we have a decent squad, at least IMSO.

Is that squad balanced enough, no not really.

Is that squad too reliant on players with poor injury records, yes.

Is that squad too dependent on kids to fill gaps, certainly.

But given the rub of the green, few injuries and a few more quality signings then this squad should definitely be looking at top six. At least.

But a lot of people, me included, thought we'd do well last year and it didn't happen.

Partly that was because Slade didn't get the midfielder he wanted, partly because Slade was so cautious and partly because we had injuries.

I'm not sure about Robinson or that he is flexible enough tactically but our club desperately needs some success on the pitch this season.

UTA

These have been the major issues in our squads ever since Duchatelet took over, therefore it's business as usual. So basically, don't get excited, it's probably going to be another shit season. We've seen it all before.
  • edited July 2017

Surely its wages that are the problem not transfer fees. And with crowds of 7-8000 I would guess that budget will only get lower. We were a big club in the lower leagues, currently based on attendances we are a mid table league 1 club and I guess the budget will have to reflect that
    I understand why fans have stayed away and I am one of them but we can't have it both ways

We had the fourth highest attendances in L1 last season - it's quite hard to see us dropping out of the top six this season, especially as there is a fairly steep decline required to reach halfway.

Of course, it's revenue that matters and for various reasons our revenue will be relatively worse, but that is partly the club's choice given that 40 per cent of 2017/18 STs will only have generated around £200k because of where they are in the ground.

Even if we still had 10,000 STs, the revenue would be substantially down on current pricing. It's significant, but the club's wage bill is much greater than the ticket receipts in the first place.
  • I thought KM said gate money was not important
  • ross1 said:

I thought KM said gate money was not important

No, I think you'll find that she said that the fans aren't important.

Or maybe she didn't actually say that she just behaves as though we don't matter.
  • I've got this horrible feeling we are in for a real relation battle this year, the way things have been handled over the last few years, you just can't keep doing it until the bottom falls out.

Horribly upsetting of course not that these c**** give a f***