Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2024 and 2028 Olympics

2»

Comments

• Options

Cricket's return to the Olympics for the first time since 1900 has been confirmed after International Olympic Committee members voted to include the sport in the 2028 Games.

Flag football, squash, lacrosse and baseball/softball have also been accepted for Los Angeles.

Only two delegates at the IOC session in Mumbai on Monday voted against the new sports.

There is expected to be both a T20 men's and women's tournament.

Organisers for the LA Games have proposed a six-team event, but no firm decision has been made on the number of teams, or how they will qualify.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/67120460

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Squash in the Olympics 2028 it's been a long time coming!
  • Options
    If it's 6 countries and they are the best, they almost choose themselves. Unlikely to be the best players though as will clash with other more lucrative tournaments. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    If it's 6 countries and they are the best, they almost choose themselves. Unlikely to be the best players though as will clash with other more lucrative tournaments. 
    Smack in the middle of our domestic season...LA would be rather hot in July.

Lacrosse and baseball/softball are classic home inclusions. Maybe London 2012 should have included darts and bowls!
  • Options
    Baseball in the US, what a surprise.....I'm only shocked that American Football hasn't made the cut for LA !!
  • Options
    Just see Sky Sports News about this and they have included flag football which is a version of American football, sounds like tag rugby.
  • Options
    Baseball in the US, what a surprise.....I'm only shocked that American Football hasn't made the cut for LA !!
    baseball and Softball have been in a lot of the recent Olympics
  • Options
    the Olympics i m o should be restricted to the 'traditional' track and field sports .. rowing, cricket, squash, tennis and the rest are misplaced, how many Ethiopians or Kenyans have access to a squash court or a pair of sporting oars ?
  • Options
    the Olympics i m o should be restricted to the 'traditional' track and field sports .. rowing, cricket, squash, tennis and the rest are misplaced, how many Ethiopians or Kenyans have access to a squash court or a pair of sporting oars ?
    How many Carter's have access to long, high East African ranges and genealogy to be the next long distance starlet

In seriousness I agree mostly, although touch rugby/flag football can absolutely get in the sea 
  • Options
    Becoming a joke now and ten pin bowling still can't get in.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There speaks someone who has never been to a beach volleyball tournament 
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with squash or rowing. The Olympics should be the pinnacle achievement in that sport which is why having football is so wrong. Breakdancing which is being introduced next year is already out! I'm going to wrestling and weight lifting next year, both are proper Olympic sports. 
  • Options
    What about shove ha'penny? It's about time it has its day.
  • Options
    That would be like an Olympic Indoor League, add darts, bar billiards, skittles and away we go.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    What about shove ha'penny? It's about time it has its day.
    I think making Conkers an Olympic sport could reinvigorate the activity, encouraging little kids to hunt out conkers again, thus removing them from the footpaths around here and preventing me from slipping over and demonstrating another potential new sport, Far Arse Flying.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    That would be like an Olympic Indoor League, add darts, bar billiards, skittles and away we go.
    Fred Trueman could present it! Again! If he wasn't dead.

• Options
    Carter said:
    How many Carter's have access to long, high East African ranges and genealogy to be the next long distance starlet

In seriousness I agree mostly, although touch rugby/flag football can absolutely get in the sea 
    I should have also added about the cost of putting on the 'peripheral games' .. 
  • Options
    Bring back International King of Sports
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    redman said:
    Smack in the middle of our domestic season...LA would be rather hot in July.

Lacrosse and baseball/softball are classic home inclusions. Maybe London 2012 should have included darts and bowls!
    LA isn't really too bad in July, usually August and then definitely September are when it starts to get really hot. This is obviously changing as the world slowly cooks us, but that generally seems to be the case.

Also, this doesn't necessarily include parts of LA like the Valley where it can hit 100 for large stretches of the summer, but I would still say September is the worst month. There's something called "June Gloom" where you get a marine layer in the mornings that keeps things cool, and that can often extend into July where it's quite pleasant. I was at a baseball game at the end of June this year in Anaheim (not in LA but similarly inland to parts of LA) and it was maybe 85F at the peak of the afternoon (2-3pm-ish) and it was quite pleasant. Again, all subject to change, but hopefully it'll be quite nice.

When I first started uni in Norwich I remember having a conversation with two of my flatmates in which I had to explain at length that it never rained in LA during the summer and that we could go from April to October without rain easily.