Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Proud to be an Addick

2»

Comments

• Options
    I still use it in a ......."There were a couple of Herberts hanging around" ..........sort of way. Although these days, it covers everyone from Six to 56 years of age. :(
  • Options

Just out of interest, I understand the way in which "Herbert" is used nowadays, but can anyone explain how it came about?

A foolish person, a cheeky, unwashed child. For many years, in London working-class slang, Herbert or ’Erbert was used to refer to any otherwise unnamed man or boy. Gradually, probably by being used in phrases such as ‘silly ’erbert’, it came to have the more pejorative sense. There probably never was an eponymous Herbert; it was merely a common working-class name from the Edwardian era.
  • Options
    PeteF said:

Just out of interest, I understand the way in which "Herbert" is used nowadays, but can anyone explain how it came about?

A foolish person, a cheeky, unwashed child. For many years, in London working-class slang, Herbert or ’Erbert was used to refer to any otherwise unnamed man or boy. Gradually, probably by being used in phrases such as ‘silly ’erbert’, it came to have the more pejorative sense. There probably never was an eponymous Herbert; it was merely a common working-class name from the Edwardian era.
    And there was me thinking it was a general description to describe the inebriated condition the younger regulars of a certain pub in Plumstead.
  • Options
    Isn't a herbert a navy term for a mess? Vaguelly remember hearing that.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

PeteF said:

3 Blokes Live!!!

Is that Kevin Portch on bass?
    Yes
  • Options
    I was going through my CD's this afternoon and lo and behold a 14th Limited edition and a 100th of Proud to be an Addick. And a copy of VFR.