Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Star Sixes O2 13th July - 16th July

Comments

• Options
    sam3110 said:

Wish i had heard about it sooner as i would have gone, watched alot of it on TV - up until Semis. Some great names there, even postiga can still finish, i do think he was a bit under-rated at Spurs and went on to score goals at Porto.
    England same old, out in quarters. We played far too slow, Denmark only had to sit back and hit us on the counter and we didnt get near their goal other then the bit of quality from Gerrard when he scored. We need a shape up next year, Lee Hendrie shouldnt be in any sort of England legends, Merson too old cant remember him doing much. David James and Gerrard were the only players who seemed to do ok, Owen in and out of games.

Taking it way too seriously, really.

Tell you what though, people who never really relied on pace should do well in it, I'd like to see Crouch and Lampard play for us if there's another one
    Brazil, Spain, Italy, France etc took it seriously and made an evenings entertainment of it. England were embarrassing.
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Wish i had heard about it sooner as i would have gone, watched alot of it on TV - up until Semis. Some great names there, even postiga can still finish, i do think he was a bit under-rated at Spurs and went on to score goals at Porto.
    England same old, out in quarters. We played far too slow, Denmark only had to sit back and hit us on the counter and we didnt get near their goal other then the bit of quality from Gerrard when he scored. We need a shape up next year, Lee Hendrie shouldnt be in any sort of England legends, Merson too old cant remember him doing much. David James and Gerrard were the only players who seemed to do ok, Owen in and out of games.

Tell you what though, people who never really relied on pace should do well in it, I'd like to see Crouch and Lampard play for us if there's another one
    Not really, i enjoyed it still. Just my thoughts on England which was a typical England performance at any tournament, it was all a bit of fun and didn't really matter but i still wanted England to win and like on many occasions they were disappointing and frustrating.
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Brazil, Spain, Italy, France etc took it seriously and made an evenings entertainment of it. England were embarrassing.
    "Embarrassing" - it was a six aside kick about between some old blokes, national pride was not at risk.
  • Options

I really enjoyed my Friday night down there, especially at £1.50 per ticket. No chance they do it again though, they must have lost a shedload. The o2 isn't cheap to hire and no doubt the appearance fees would be steep

Shows you what being unrealistic in pricing will do. I wonder how many £1.50s they sold in an already sparse crowd

They sold the TV rights to a few different countries too - might redo it.
  • Options

I really enjoyed my Friday night down there, especially at £1.50 per ticket. No chance they do it again though, they must have lost a shedload. The o2 isn't cheap to hire and no doubt the appearance fees would be steep

Shows you what being unrealistic in pricing will do. I wonder how many £1.50s they sold in an already sparse crowd

I believe they paid rather than were paid for most of the rights.

The money came from sponsors (who pay more for tv rights in other countries). See the ad board changing language depending on the game.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

sam3110 said:

"Embarrassing" - it was a six aside kick about between some old blokes, national pride was not at risk.
    Those old blokes were a good 20 years younger than me and i could have put more effort in.
    Remember, some people had payed at least £1.50 to watch that lot.
  • Options

I believe they paid rather than were paid for most of the rights.

The money came from sponsors (who pay more for tv rights in other countries). See the ad board changing language depending on the game.
    Ah ok.

I can imagine a few being happy to have it on next year if it had decent viewing figures for this time of year.
  • Options

se9addick said:

sam3110 said:

Those old blokes were a good 20 years younger than me and i could have put more effort in.
    Remember, some people had payed at least £1.50 to watch that lot.
    Good value compared to Charlton !
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Full teams for this years Star Sixes which takes place start of Jan

• Options
    3 ex CAFC for England
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    2 ex CAFC for Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Darren Bent will be in his element, bound to be top scorer imo this format
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing, Pires and Jay Jay for ROW
  • Options
    How many of the Ireland players were actually born in Ireland?
  • Options
    Interesting that in 2017 there was 12 teams and in 2019 there is 6.

Was 12 to complicated and made it harder?
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Maybe it was too difficult to fill people outside of the home nations, or didn't really generate the interest? I prefer home nations plus ROW. Enjoyed the last one so regardless i will probably get involved, might see what costs are and see if mates fancy it.

Edit- Its in glasgow , dont think i will be going lol
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Quinn
    Partridge
    Harte

Owen Coyle only made 1 appearance for Ireland and senior level.

There keeper tho, is English, born in England and has never played for Ireland WTF I mean what Given up to or Kiely give them a shout
  • Options

se9addick said:

Quinn
    Partridge
    Harte

There keeper tho, is English, born in England and has never played for Ireland WTF I mean what Given up to or Kiely give them a shout
    It’s almost as if this tournament is a load of nonsense...
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Quinn
    Partridge
    Harte

It’s almost as if this tournament is a load of nonsense...
    Maybe to you, but I like it.

I am praying 1 day for the return of Masters Football
  • Options
    Havent been able to watch this yet due to talktalk messing me around last night and Charlton today.

Finally watching a match and after 15 minutes its
    Scotland 4-0 England
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 2019

3 ex CAFC for England

clive said:

And Chuchinho playing for Wales.
  • Options
    According to wiki it is being broadcast in Israel by the Charlton broadcast company
  • Options
    England sneak into the final

Scotland drew 0-0 with rest of the world meaning England needed a win against R.Ireland to finish 2nd

0-0 with 2 minutes to go and Jason McAteer was sent off after a coming together with Owen, Owen probably should have gone to but he only got a yellow

With 30 seconds to go Paul Konchesky scored to send England into the final
  • Options
    It's not been very good today. Not many goals, can only assume everyone is knackered.

Currently ROW 1 - 1 England in final.
  • Options
    England won 3-2.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

England won 3-2.

Which was very popular with the Scottish crowd haha
  • Options
    At least Owen admitted he should have been off

• Options
    clive said:

That's not our Steve Jones
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

clive said:

That's not our Steve Jones
    Can’t see the other ex-CAFC in that line up either.