Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nissan Micra or Toyota Yaris?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Can't go wrong with Hyundai for value for money. The i10 has is the small one I believe

I learnt on an i10 about 5 years ago now. Was far better than the micras I have driven since (never owned one).
  • Options

Taxi_Lad said:

Can't go wrong with Hyundai for value for money. The i10 has is the small one I believe

I learnt on an i10 about 5 years ago now. Was far better than the micras I have driven since (never owned one).
    I have a Hyundai i20, my Dad has a Hyundai i10. I honestly couldn't recommend it any more. I love the car. They're reliable, easy to drive, economic and a car brand which its reputation is growing massively at the moment.

My Mum has a Yaris and it's never been a problem at all. Easy to drive, can be nippy but overall it hasn't got the kick of a bigger engine. Asian car makers seem to be very good at what they do. So from the two, that'd be my pick.

Have also driven a Fiesta, again, can't go wrong. The 1.0 litre eco drives more like a 1.2, very good car.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:

It's been linked here in other car threads, but this one is pretty good and comprehensive. Have you considered Hyundai i10 too, @The_President? I've heard good things about them, and we hired one for a couple of weeks recently and it was fine.

https://honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/

Was going to be my shout - but the i30 instead. Not driven a small car for over 20 years but had to drive the i30 a year or so ago when my car was in for repairs (wont say what I normally drive as last time I did I got pelters). Very surprised how good it was.
  • Options
    Had a yaris from New for 100k miles. Great car apart from water leaks, cured with later revamped model. Very reliable, clutch lasted til 90k. Front tyres wore out quickly though 15k. Returned 55-60mpg.

Had a yaris for 60k miles from New. Nothing renewed apart from oil and front tyres. Still on original rears. Hated the hybrid and couldn't put up with gutless 1.33 engine but love the diesel. Oodles of torque and 58-65mpg.

Mazda 2 is basically the same as the fiesta I am lead to believe. Heard good things about them but not driven either.

Check out reviews on internet of the models and availability of spares and how good local dealer is. I have a great Ford transit custom van. Absolutely love it but the local ford dealer is a pile of poo.
  • Options
    Had a brand new Yaris and it was a cracking little car, never had any problems with it, and was quite fun to drive as well.
  • Options
    Toyotas are generally more reliable than Nissans. However, if reliability is the most important criterion, the Honda Jazz tops the list. May be too expensive, though.

What's insurance like in SA? Do they do the black box option that monitors the driving? By the sound of it, your daughter could do with that.
  • Options

Lol. yeah refuse to buy any French after my experiences with them.
    Mazda 2 looks like it could be a possibility.
    I forgot to mention, this is for my daughter who lives in South Africa.(dont seem to do a Mazda 1 in SA for some reason)

I think I asked you before but where in SA does your daughter live...just interested as I have family in SA.
    Yes you did Hastings and i did answer before. Your family live in Marina de Gama (then again,you probably know that!), and my daughter lives in Bergvliet, just up the M3- probably about 5 miles away. Thats Cape Town btw if people are confused.
    That's right and I have family in Pinetown....just west of Durban...it's just my nephew and his family that are at Marina De Gama.
  • Options
    btw , only looking to pay equiv of 4k
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Hired a Yaris on holiday in Italy this year. Not exciting at all but well put together, but perfect as an A to B car for a young person or even a small family.
  • Options
    I would rather walk or catch a bus than be seen in a Micra. Get a Yaris. Micras are acquired by people that don't care about cars and have no empathy with them or other road users.

Every other driver knows that Micra owners (I wouldn't call them drivers) are completely incompetent and are to be given a wide berth at all times.They are so dangerous and do have not a single clue about what's going on around them. (Do Nissan actually fit rear view mirrors or indicators to these cars?)

In fairness, I understand part of the problem is that Micra speedometers massively over-read. Which explains why Micras are always travelling at 10-15mph below the posted speed limit. I wonder if owners of these cars are bemused about why everyone else overtakes them. All the time.

On the plus side, Micra owners never travel in the hours of darkness as they are too frightened.

Oh, did I say? Get a Yaris.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It might be Italian but the Fiat 500 is a great little car and she would probably love it - very trendy and lots of different trim levels. Seen lots of 20 something females driving them...
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I would rather walk or catch a bus than be seen in a Micra. Get a Yaris. Micras are acquired by people that don't care about cars and have no empathy with them or other road users.

Every other driver knows that Micra owners (I wouldn't call them drivers) are completely incompetent and are to be given a wide berth at all times.They are so dangerous and do have not a single clue about what's going on around them. (Do Nissan actually fit rear view mirrors or indicators to these cars?)

In fairness, I understand part of the problem is that Micra speedometers massively over-read. Which explains why Micras are always travelling at 10-15mph below the posted speed limit. I wonder if owners of these cars are bemused about why everyone else overtakes them. All the time.

On the plus side, Micra owners never travel in the hours of darkness as they are too frightened.

Oh, did I say? Get a Yaris.

And they never get speeding tickets!
  • Options
    cafc-west said:

It might be Italian but the Fiat 500 is a great little car and she would probably love it - very trendy and lots of different trim levels. Seen lots of 20 something females driving them...

The new(ish) Ford Ka is the same car. Same engine, chassis etc.

But a bit cheaper!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    cafc-west said:

I hired a Fiat 500 last year, and can positively say its the worst car I have ever had/driven (put both words in there because a lot of the time it simply wouldn't start) - build was dreadful, battery kept running down after 4 hours, absolutely no acceleration - in actual fact I can safely say it was one of the scariest cars I have ever had - told Europcar never to give me one again.
  • Options
    Oh well, I can cross the McLaren off then ....

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-40476901
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

Was about to suggest this, had an i30 as a hire car a few weeks ago and was quite impressed