Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Berlin

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2022
    When we went a few years ago we stayed nr spittlemarkt UBahn station, it was quite close to one of the main rail hubs Alexander Platz. Remember pulling into Alexander Platz station and right next to it and my first view of Berlin was a Primark store.

There are some nice bars and restaurants near there including an Irish bar that does entertainment most nights.  Its a huge city and you should plan where you want to see in advance, if you can.

Be prepared to see some glass memorials around the city, at the spot where individuals were killed trying to go over the wall.

Fascinating city, enjoy.
  • Options
    The trains from Berlin to Paris and other destinations are truly breathtaking. I couldn't get out of Germany quick enough! 
    And you choose Paris as a destination, which is full of moody pricks, dog shit, litter and stupidly expensive but shite restaurants
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    I first went in 1971 with the wall there.
    You climbed a wooden platform on the West side to peer over into the East side, whilst soldiers on watchtowers in the East looked back at you through binoculars.
    The underground was brilliant because the train would trundle slowly through the East German stations where you couldn’t get off, lit by what seemed a 20watt bulb whilst a heavily armed soldier looked into the carriages.
    I remember you could get an ‘umsteiger’ (?) which was a ticket for the underground and buses for an hour or two.
    At that time I found it to be an absolutely fascinating place, with a zing and an edge to it, I loved it.
    The Berlin accent was very different to the Munich accent, like the difference between Glaswegian English and Devonian English.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Off for a long weekend (on my own) in a couple of weeks.  Read a few tips on here of what to see/where to go...but added here back in 2017.  Has anyone been more recently...any other suggestions for do's and don'ts.  Thanks in advance.
    Where are you actually staying? 
    Hi @Algarveaddick - staying in a small arty hotel - Art'otel Berlin Kudamm - which I'm told is a great area?  Also told Berlin is great for vegan restaurants (I am...).
  • Options
    There's a good Hummel shop there. I recommend the Olympic Stadium tour.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    If you travel on public transport make sure you validate your ticket at the little orange or blue boxes (usually by access stairs/escalators) to the platform. As they run an open honesty type access system, they are hot on travellers without/un-validated tickets. They wont take ignorance of their systems as an answer, plus the inspectors dont usually wear uniforms.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    CafcWest said:
    CafcWest said:
    Off for a long weekend (on my own) in a couple of weeks.  Read a few tips on here of what to see/where to go...but added here back in 2017.  Has anyone been more recently...any other suggestions for do's and don'ts.  Thanks in advance.
    Hi @Algarveaddick - staying in a small arty hotel - Art'otel Berlin Kudamm - which I'm told is a great area?  Also told Berlin is great for vegan restaurants (I am...).
    We stayed near there at Easter. Nice area, the Zoologischer Garten S and U-Bahn station is really close and makes it easy to get anywhere. Recommend a Berlin Welcome Card if you are wanting to use a lot of public transport (and it negates the need to validate that Chippy wisely points out). I would do the Big Bus tour - which the Welcome Card gets you a discount on - one ticket is valid for both routes, and you can change from one to the other at Alexanderplatz, you can pick it up about 500m from your hotel at Kaiser Willhem Gedachtnis Kirche. The card also gave us a discount on a boat trip on the Spree which we really enjoyed too. If you are around Alexanderplatz, head to the south west corner, behind the Rathaus (City Hall) you will find Nikoliaviertel (look for the church with two spires) rebuilt and restored medieval houses and shops. 

• Options
    Mr. Happy said:
    Stasi museum on frankfurter allee is excellent. As are the nights out.
    That was on the list as is the DDR museum.
    The DDR Museum is fantastic. Reckon the boys will really enjoy that.

Not been to the ones you mentioned but have heard good things about De Unterwelten Museum.

It's a great and fascinating city - hope you enjoy it!
    We did enjoy the DDR museum as went 5 years ago when thread started it. It is kinda weird reliving a great holiday - normally my threads just die...
    Ha, only just saw the start date of the thread. Glad you had a good time five years ago!
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    CafcWest said:
    We stayed near there at Easter. Nice area, the Zoologischer Garten S and U-Bahn station is really close and makes it easy to get anywhere. Recommend a Berlin Welcome Card if you are wanting to use a lot of public transport (and it negates the need to validate that Chippy wisely points out). I would do the Big Bus tour - which the Welcome Card gets you a discount on - one ticket is valid for both routes, and you can change from one to the other at Alexanderplatz, you can pick it up about 500m from your hotel at Kaiser Willhem Gedachtnis Kirche. The card also gave us a discount on a boat trip on the Spree which we really enjoyed too. If you are around Alexanderplatz, head to the south west corner, behind the Rathaus (City Hall) you will find Nikoliaviertel (look for the church with two spires) rebuilt and restored medieval houses and shops. 

Great advice - thank you very much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can definitely recommend the East Side Gallery. When I was there we also did a walking tour of the city which was a great way to see the city and the tour guide was fantastic. It is also free and then you can tip the guide at the end.