Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Canada Day - 150 Years Old - July 1st - Canada Life Roll Call

Comments

• Been to Canmore many times Oakster have been all over Canada
    Love Nova Scotia and PEI, have to say Canmore is my favorite place to stay when in Alberta, it does not have the hustle and bustle of Banff up the road.

It has some great places to eat and drink always try to be up there when the Highland Games are on the wife loves the place.
    Our friends have a big ranch out in Cochrane so it is Convenient and a straight run down the road to Calgary Airport.

@Indianaaddick give me a shout on here next time you are over!
  • edited July 2017

Oakster said:

Our amazing country celebrates its 150th Birthday tomorrow.

We are observing the 150th anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the British North America Act, which united the three separate colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick into a single Dominion within the British Empire called Canada.

I've lived here nearly 13 years & have barely scraped the surface of this vast, wild land. My kids are Canadian, with the accent and all. I love the country - it can be brutally cold in the winter & scorchingly hot in the summer & it's people are as diverse & multicultural as they come.

Canada has been a great friend to The UK - with huge contributions during both World Wars & a deep,rich contribution to everyday British life.

Anyway let's hear where fellow Charlton Lifers are celebrating with the rest of the Nation tomorrow from Oakster in Canmore, Alberta.

Yeah, they also like clubbing seals to death, nice country!
    Congratulations. In the annals of Charltonlife, that might possibly be the most ridiculous thing ever posted. Some going when you think NathanPrior used to post here pretty regularly
    Well that depends on whether you have any compassion, for the way they smash seals skulls with a bat, obviously you don't. Good on you!

And by the way, what's Nathan Prior got to do with anything?
  • I spent the afternoon in downtown Calgary with a hugely diverse mix of fellow Canadians enjoying music food and entertainment - and whatever their background they were all decked out in red and white. Canada isn't perfect but people are proud to he part of it and not in a shallow boastful way. Happy Canada day to my fellow Canuck Lifers !
  • Oakster said:

We are observing the 150th anniversary of the July 1, 1867, enactment of the British North America Act, which united the three separate colonies of Canada, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick into a single Dominion within the British Empire called Canada.

I've lived here nearly 13 years & have barely scraped the surface of this vast, wild land. My kids are Canadian, with the accent and all. I love the country - it can be brutally cold in the winter & scorchingly hot in the summer & it's people are as diverse & multicultural as they come.

Canada has been a great friend to The UK - with huge contributions during both World Wars & a deep,rich contribution to everyday British life.

Anyway let's hear where fellow Charlton Lifers are celebrating with the rest of the Nation tomorrow from Oakster in Canmore, Alberta.

Congratulations. In the annals of Charltonlife, that might possibly be the most ridiculous thing ever posted. Some going when you think NathanPrior used to post here pretty regularly
    Well that depends on whether you have any compassion, for the way they smash seals skulls with a bat, obviously you don't. Good on you!

Yes, it's the national sport, isn't it? Something young and old participate in regularly across the land. It certainly justifies condemning the entire country. I'm glad there aren't any barbaric practices in the UK that we could all be tarred with.
  • edited July 2017
    Gillis said:

Oakster said:

Yes, it's the national sport, isn't it? Something young and old participate in regularly across the land. It certainly justifies condemning the entire country. I'm glad there aren't any barbaric practices in the UK that we could all be tarred with.
    We also have barbaric practises and so do many countries around the world!

I'm not singularly condemning Canada but it does raise questions. How any supposed civilised society, as we are supposed to be, can allow such inhumane practises to be condoned?
  • Canada gave the world Justin Beiber, Celine Dion and the hillerious not Mike Myers.

Also, Michael J Fox, Jim Carey, Ryan Gosling, Willian Shatner, Rachel McAdams, Dan Ackroyd, Martin Short, Pamela Anderson, Michael Cera, Rick Moranis, Christopher Plummer, Ellen Page and Donald Sutherland, to name but a few. Unfortunately, the list also includes Keanu Reeves and Hayden Christensen.
  • Bryan Adams and Nickelback.

i have a brother and sister who have lived in Toronto for 30 years+ - havnt seen or heard from my brother in that time.
  • Great country and although i have seen only a small part of it, it is somewhere i would love to end my days... definately US lite.

i have a brother and sister who have lived in Toronto for 30 years+ - havnt seen or heard from my brother in that time.

How very unusual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Will definitely do that Oakster.

How very unusual.
    Yep.
  • I took a short trip over to France last month and visited the Vimmy ridge site near Arras which commemorates the Canadian's contribution in the first world war. Considering Canada was just 50years old in 1917 their contribution was immense and led to the Canadian Brigadier Ross quote: "I Witnessed the Birth of a Nation".

I was gunning about on Motorbikes for a few days and stopped at Vimmy on the way home for just a couple of hours, but you could easily do it as a day trip from South East England. Everything is free to enter, the site, the Museum, the trench system tour and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested.

• MOBY DUCK said:

I took a short trip over to France last month and visited the Vimmy ridge site near Arras which commemorates the Canadian's contribution in the first world war. Considering Canada was just 50years old in 1917 their contribution was immense and led to the Canadian Brigadier Ross quote: "I Witnessed the Birth of a Nation".

I was gunning about on Motorbikes for a few days and stopped at Vimmy on the way home for just a couple of hours, but you could easily do it as a day trip from South East England. Everything is free to enter, the site, the Museum, the trench system tour and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone interested.

I've been there a couple of times and is well worth a visit. Was there earlier in the year, just before the anniversary and the new visitor centre looked great. As you say, it's not that far from Calais and worth tying it in with a night in Arras, where there's some nice bars and restaurants. The caves there are well worth seeing too.
  • edited July 2017

Oakster said:

No. It doesn't depend on that at all. What it depends on is whether you think everyone in Canada supports clubbing seals to death. They don't. Your post was ridiculous - frankly it deserved a lot more mocking than it got. The comparison with Prior is because it's the sort of laughable, infantile rubbish he used to post. You're better than that.

To draw a parallel, it would be like saying everyone in the UK liked dogfighting, because of the tiny minority who do.
  • Yeh it's like saying everyone who lives in British colimboa is a pot head...

Eh? Oh....
  • edited July 2017

Oakster said:

No. It doesn't depend on that at all. What it depends on is whether you think everyone in Canada supports clubbing seals to death. They don't. Your post was ridiculous - frankly it deserved a lot more mocking than it got. The comparison with Prior is because it's the sort of laughable, infantile rubbish he used to post. You're better than that.

To draw a parallel, it would be like saying everyone in the UK liked dogfighting, because of the tiny minority who do.
    I think it does Leroy, I think it's important not to brush these issues under the carpet.

If you believe strongly in something, then you speak out, that's all I'm doing and that doesn't make it ridiculous.

I'm sure a lot of Canadians don't agree with it but like a lot of people who simply turn their backs because it's unpalatable.

Well doing nothing, doesn't that make them complicit?

And anyone else who does nothing, and allows this barbaric behaviour to go on.

People campaign about animal cruelty, organisations like, Peta, ask them how they feel about it and the Canadians?

Dog fighting in this country is outlawed, seal clubbing isn't in Canada and the Canadian government do nothing!
  • So if I were to 'ask PETA' (if it's possible to ask an organisation an opinion about a country) they'd say they 'didn't like' Canada or Canadians?

Can you not see how daft you sound?

I understand you feel strongly about it. To be honest, the thought of killing baby seals is abhorrent to me - but I feel the same way about fox hunting - I don't say that I don't like the English or England because of it....
  • So if I were to 'ask PETA' (if it's possible to ask an organisation an opinion about a country) they'd say they 'didn't like' Canada or Canadians?

Can you not see how daft you sound?

I understand you feel strongly about it. To be honest, the thought of killing baby seals is abhorrent to me - but I feel the same way about fox hunting - I don't say that I don't like the English or England because of it....

The point about Peta is, they campaign every year about this barbaric behaviour and encourage all their supporters, of which I'm one, to sign petitions and email the Canadian Government but once again the Government do nothing, so they too are complicit and obviously condone it?

You're the only one whose saying that, and I don't think you have the right too, just because you don't agree. I haven't and wouldn't say that about you!

If you care to go back and read what I said,I didn't actually say I don't like Canadians or their Country, I just made a sarcastic point and remark.

But you seem to be highly offended and I'm not sure why? Particularly, if what you say is true and you care about animals or don't agree with blood sports? Then maybe you should do something, rather than complain about those that do!

• Have you ever gone to Spain Martin?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017
    MrOneLung said:

Have you ever gone to Spain Martin?

A long time ago and I protest about Bull Fighting as well.Another abhorrent act that makes me ashamed to be part of this race, if that's your point?

I also don't eat Chinese food, because of the way they treat animals!
  • MrOneLung said:

A long time ago and I protest about Bull Fighting as well.Another abhorrent act that makes me ashamed to be part of this race, if that's your point?

If it makes you feel any better - not far from here a lot of us campaigned for & backed the move to reintroduce Bison into Banff National Park, 100+ years after they were eradicated by, & I think it's pretty accurate to say overwhelmingly British, hunters as they moved westwards across this country....

The Bison were released earlier this year & are thriving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNxmkf7Uz3w
  • I've just got back from a Canadian road trip.

We flew to Calgary and stayed in Banff, Jasper, Kamloops and Whistler before spending 3 nights in Vancouver and then heading home.

Loved every minute of it, felt like we had 3 different holidays because of the variety in surroundings.

Annoyed that our travel agent didn't make us aware of Canada day though as we flew home on the 30th. I'm sure it would have been great.
  • Oakster said:

MrOneLung said:

If it makes you feel any better - not far from here a lot of us campaigned for & backed the move to reintroduce Bison into Banff National Park, 100+ years after they were eradicated by, & I think it's pretty accurate to say overwhelmingly British, hunters as they moved westwards across this country....

The Bison were released earlier this year & are thriving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNxmkf7Uz3w
    I do like that, a heartening story.

I'm not absolving any other nation that continues to abuse animals, they all need to be brought to task.
  • thanks to General Wolfe
  • Martin, your whole argument here is mental. Every country has its backwards, barbaric practices. You're suggesting that no country should ever have a celebration of itself because a tiny proportion of fuckwits do something that the rest of the world disagrees with. It just doesn't make sense. You've also chosen possibly the least offensive country on Earth to have a pop at, FFS!
  • edited July 2017
    Did I say that Leroy, no I didn't? Stop putting words into my mouth!

As someone who suffers with my "Mental" health, I also find your use of the word totally out of order and thoughtless?
  • Its a bit like informing the party guests at a Grannie's 75th that she was a right old shagger back in the day.

The point maybe absolutely valid ... but not here and not now.
  • Did I say that Leroy, no I didn't? Stop putting words into my mouth!

As someone who suffers with my "Mental" health, I also find your use of the word totally out of order and thoughtless?

You must be pretty pissed off at your avatar then.