Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Underfloor heating advice

2»

Comments

• Options

bobmunro said:

JohnBoyUK said:

The electric underfloor in our bathroom works well for warming the tiles but wouldn't honestly say that its sufficient for warming the entire bathroom without an additional rad.
    We've got a full length heated towel rail which does the job nicely...and keeps the towels warm too!

Depends, how many towels you try to put on it, ours seem to have every slot filled with a towel.

We have a towel rail and it just won't cut it. Can see your breath in there in winter.

Get a bigger one.
    got the biggest output i could find, they're just inefficient for anything other than a warm towel as far as i can make out.
    The only heating in our bathrooms is from towel rails (albeit big ones) and they work a treat.
    @bobmunro what make are these towel warmers of yours? The heat calculation thing i did seem to preclude all but oil fired ones that were over a grand a pop. Are your towels Kevlar?
    Pretty standard ladder type I think - but big - portrait about 60" x 30". Just hooked up to the central heating system but they do get hot!! Would only normally have one bath towel at a time hanging on it so leaves quite a few rungs exposed. But even with a couple it still heats the rooms. Bathroom is 10' x 10' - en-suite a bit smaller (and so is the towel rail) - one external wall in each, and one Velux roof window in each. They really are toasty when it's cold.
  • Options
    Never had underfloor heating at home, but from the experience I had with it at work I would not touch it with a bargepole. Don't want to have to be taking the entire bloody floor up if it goes wrong.
  • Options

have underfloor heating throughout the downstairs and upstairs in the bathroom, love it - also have a heated towel rail in the bathroom and even in winter we have the window open slightly

Penguins gonna hate you.

My advice - do not fix in mesh heating and then mess with the tiles as it will break and your underfloor heating won't work, you will miss it so much you will relay the floor.

Do get heating where you can easily set the level or even better the temperature and if multiple rooms definitely get zonal heating, definitely worth it. Also avoids having to have the window open in the winter....
    will look into the suggestions of bran. Cheers all.
    This stuff allegedly keeps you in the bathroom more than you would otherwise be.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

bobmunro said:

JohnBoyUK said:

The electric underfloor in our bathroom works well for warming the tiles but wouldn't honestly say that its sufficient for warming the entire bathroom without an additional rad.
    We've got a full length heated towel rail which does the job nicely...and keeps the towels warm too!

Depends, how many towels you try to put on it, ours seem to have every slot filled with a towel.

We have a towel rail and it just won't cut it. Can see your breath in there in winter.

Get a bigger one.
    got the biggest output i could find, they're just inefficient for anything other than a warm towel as far as i can make out.
    The only heating in our bathrooms is from towel rails (albeit big ones) and they work a treat.
    @bobmunro what make are these towel warmers of yours? The heat calculation thing i did seem to preclude all but oil fired ones that were over a grand a pop. Are your towels Kevlar?
    Pretty standard ladder type I think - but big - portrait about 60" x 30". Just hooked up to the central heating system but they do get hot!! Would only normally have one bath towel at a time hanging on it so leaves quite a few rungs exposed. But even with a couple it still heats the rooms. Bathroom is 10' x 10' - en-suite a bit smaller (and so is the towel rail) - one external wall in each, and one Velux roof window in each. They really are toasty when it's cold.
    Same size towel ladder we had fitted couple of years back. Keeps the whole room warm, I would recommend one.
  • Options
    Is it easy to fit underfloor heating underneath original floorboards?
  • Options
    Thanks to this thread, I've just found out we have under floor heating in the bathroom downstairs. I did wonder why there was what looked like a Digital thermostat on the wall which was turned off at a spur. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2017

I'm guessing not easy. I assume your talking downstairs? First off you'd need to install insulation so that you're not just spending money heating whatever is under your house. Second on the site below someone says it can cause issues unless it will be on 24/7/365. This is because the floor will expand and contract every time the humidity changes. If it is an old house the wood may be old, but will never have been as dry as it will get when you roast it from below. It will crack.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/u-floor-heating-with-timber-floorboards-to-do-or-not-to-do.239474/#ixzz4lawDSDwn

My niece has underfloor heating throughout in a new build. But she's got concrete floors on both the ground and first floor levels and the heating coils are just under the ceramic tiles. (She's also got rads though and all the bathrooms have got towel rails and separate rads.) It's all beyond my understanding as to how it all works together frankly. She's even got this weird control room with odd pumps and all sorts in it. I think they have probably got ground source heating pumps maybe?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

I'm guessing not easy. I assume your talking downstairs? First off you'd need to install insulation so that you're not just spending money heating whatever is under your house. Second on the site below someone says it can cause issues unless it will be on 24/7/365. This is because the floor will expand and contract every time the humidity changes. If it is an old house the wood may be old, but will never have been as dry as it will get when you roast it from below. It will crack.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/u-floor-heating-with-timber-floorboards-to-do-or-not-to-do.239474/#ixzz4lawDSDwn

My niece has underfloor heating throughout in a new build. But she's got concrete floors on both the ground and first floor levels and the heating coils are just under the ceramic tiles. (She's also got rads though and all the bathrooms have got towel rails and separate rads.) It's all beyond my understanding as to how it all works together frankly. She's even got this weird control room with odd pumps and all sorts in it. I think they have probably got ground source heating pumps maybe?
    Interesting , cheers mate. Thought it wouldn't be straightforward. May have to swerve that idea apart from bathroom and kitchen.
  • Options
    Just wondering if any fellow lifers have used the Warmup (or similar electric underfloor heating) for a larger room. We're having an extension to create a kitchen/family room and wondering if this would be suitable to heat it. Would be about 35m2 when finished. Got it in the bathroom and it's great for that but obviously a much smaller space.
  • Options
    we've got a Nu-Heat water underfloor heating system in our large kitchen/diner (approx 50sqm) and hallway (approx 16-18sqm).  Works fabulously.  We've got electric unfloor in 3 ensuite bathrooms and our family bathroom and I feel it doesnt work as well.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    very expensive to run .. buy some thick socks
  • Options
    Just wondering if any fellow lifers have used the Warmup (or similar electric underfloor heating) for a larger room. We're having an extension to create a kitchen/family room and wondering if this would be suitable to heat it. Would be about 35m2 when finished. Got it in the bathroom and it's great for that but obviously a much smaller space.
    We’ve got quite a big kitchen diner and had underfloor heating fitted as part of the extension. It’s not that great tbh, although we’ve got bifolds that go all the way across the back that probably don’t help. We’ve also got it in our bathroom and although it’s better in there, it’s a fairly big room and still not brilliant. 
  • Options
    We’ve got quite a big kitchen diner and had underfloor heating fitted as part of the extension. It’s not that great tbh, although we’ve got bifolds that go all the way across the back that probably don’t help. We’ve also got it in our bathroom and although it’s better in there, it’s a fairly big room and still not brilliant. 
    Was this electric or water? 
  • Options
    Was this electric or water? 
    Kitchen’s water, bathroom’s electric.
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Is the UFH water manifold stat set correctly?
    If I am not mistaken this should be safe to run at 45 degrees.
    Could the temp have been set lower as it was fresh screed/llooring?
  • Options
    If not, move your cooker into the front room
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Electric UFH is good to warm the floor but will not heat a room of that size well enough. We have warmup.

We have electric under floor in our ensuite which is 4m x 2.5m ish. But also a towel rail (also electric).