Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Your biggest gap in between visiting a ground

Had the annual close season curry tonight with my old man, @The31YearMan and @j_lo

We posed the question - what's your biggest gap in between visiting another team's ground. Mine are

Brentford 24 years (Nov 92)
Millwall 22 years (Dec 95)
Bury (Aug 99)
Barnsley (either Oct or Nov 99)

My Dad's and @The31YearMan was Cambridge back in 81/82

This can also be a gap recently closed, doesn't have to be ongoing

Comments

• Walton and Hersham. 1968.
  • Quite a few of mine are before the turn of the millenium plus I always like to try and get in a couple of new grounds a year if possible.

The furthest back I can recall is Derby away a 2-2 draw on Richard Rufus' debut in the mid 90's somewhere. Also around the same era possibly a year or two earlier was Peterborough away a 1-1 draw, they equalised quite late on if I recall and not been back to either since.

I went about 18 years between going to Norwich away and on both ocassions we won 1-0 thanks to Bradley Allen (about 1996) and then our last visit there in 2014 thanks to Jacko's winner. Funny how some grounds can be lucky!

• Off the top of my head, there are a few clubs I last went to in the 1990s which I've never been back to more recently, such as Luton, Millwall, Palace, QPR, Man U and Chelsea (I was relatively inactive in terms of away games during our PL period and have never really enjoyed games at Millwall or Palace)

Orient had been a very long gap, 1979 to 2009, 30 years :smile:
  • Went to the Recreation Ground to us play Aldershot around 1974. That's one that won't be visited again. Miserable day.
  • The famous yellow away day at Nottingham Forest, haven't been back since
  • September 1988 Northampton away in the League Cup
  • Bristol City 94-12.

Gillingham must have been 20 years between Kent Cup finals, roughly 95-15.

Southend will beat those when I go back.
  • Southport. Won 2-1. September 1973.
  • The Valley September 85/ December 92
  • Erith & Belvedere when I was about 7 (1960). Never been back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Craven Cottage - 1988 to 2016

• E-cafc said:

The Valley September 85/ December 92

The Valley. Last time I went and the next time I go. I hope they piss off, soon.
  • edited June 2017
    loads that are no longer there, so probably doesn't count. (Goldstone, Baseball, etc)

so, ones that are still there - Field Mill (Mansfield) went in 1998 (non Charlton game)

Plymouth in the early 90's (pre-season game whilst on holiday) but hoping to go again this August.
  • Wembley 98-???
  • Oldham 1982 - 2017 . Thirty five years .
  • Went to West ham as a 10 year old hoping to see George Best play for Man utd. He'd gone AWOL again, but I returned to see Charlton in the first season in the premiership, quite gap!
  • Biggest gap - 389 miles Plymouth to Carlisle I think. :wink:
  • edited June 2017
    Swindon h on the30th April 2017 until the Belgians f*** off.
  • Wembley 98-???

Wembley 86ish?
  • For me it's probably Oxford where I've yet to go back, yet. I went there around 1970, we lost 2-1, I remember it was the day that everybody was raving about Leeds stringing together 20-30 passes before scoring a goal against Southampton who I think they'd also royally turned over that day
  • Sponsored links:

• Harlow - haven't been there since the cup game which I think was end of the '70s.
  • Hoping to do Plymouth and last time I went there was last day of the season when Andy Solako made is debut (and possibly only appearance). Maybe 91?
  • cabbles said:

Had the annual close season curry tonight with my old man, @The31YearMan and @j_lo

We posed the question - what's your biggest gap in between visiting another team's ground. Mine are

Brentford 24 years (Nov 92)
    Millwall 22 years (Dec 95)
    Bury (Aug 99)
    Barnsley (either Oct or Nov 99)

My Dad's and @The31YearMan was Cambridge back in 81/82

This can also be a gap recently closed, doesn't have to be ongoing

Out of curiosity how did you end up missing the last 5-6 games we played at The Den?

Longest gap I can think of is probably Oxford United where I first went in 1997 and then revisited in 2016, though in that time they moved from the Manor Ground to the Kassam
  • Have to go back too 1974 Gigg Lane Bury one and only time. Also that season Fellows Park Walsall ,The Shay Halifax,The Recreation Ground Aldershot.Not been back since.

Will visit Home Park Plymouth for the first time since 1991 in August this year.