Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Says a lot of good things but I've worked in office environments too long to believe 80% of it. Especially if it's not backed up.
  • I like what he says and hope he succeeds.

I sense frustration from him though that the SMT/owner still don't get what's required to aim for promotion and get the impression he won't get all he wants in terms of players. Whether that's due to financial restraints or the clueless poking their noses in, I don't know. Probably both.

If they're serious, he must be backed.

In any other situation, I think he'd do well for us.

Those in charge will be the determining factor, I fear.
  • The worst thing about KR giving an interview is Kent Live can then chop it up into 824 articles...

That Clive Youlton on there needs help he must do the World's worst and creepiest selfies, which are then popped on all his bylines.
  • I like him, it is just a shame he is working for the biggest bunch of football idiots possible.
  • cabbles said:

I like his enthusiasm. I know a lot of people think he's a chancer and comes in with a lot of bluster and bullshit, and sometimes I think he's a little uncomfortable to watch, but you can see he desperately wants to do well and be accepted.

Perhaps that's his biggest problem. That trying too hard to fit in type approach

I'll give him credit for doing his research on the pompey fixture and what it all means.

I just don't know to be honest. I felt he was too rigid in his preferred formation last season and our defending was awful at times. We did pick up toward the end of the season but apart from Southend, we were playing some right dross
    Young man, that's quite positive from you..
    I bet you are now eagerly awaiting, that season ticket, to come crashing through the door. :wink:

• cabbles said:

I like his enthusiasm. I know a lot of people think he's a chancer and comes in with a lot of bluster and bullshit, and sometimes I think he's a little uncomfortable to watch, but you can see he desperately wants to do well and be accepted.

Perhaps that's his biggest problem. That trying too hard to fit in type approach

I'll give him credit for doing his research on the pompey fixture and what it all means.

I just don't know to be honest. I felt he was too rigid in his preferred formation last season and our defending was awful at times. We did pick up toward the end of the season but apart from Southend, we were playing some right dross

Not really that difficult he only had to remember 1 date and the opposition ....... for all we know he might have had it written on a board out of sight to read from :wink:

He's saying all the right things, but I think they are directed more at the SMT than fans. If he gets the players he wants we may we'll be a top 6 side, but like every year for the last 3+ I don't see that happening.

We all can summise the effect of still having a large wage bill on players unlikely to feature for CAFC will have, I don't know what each player earns but it will no doubt have an effect on numbers of players that can be bought in and what they can be offered.

We're in my view still a minimum of 8 players short of mounting any sort of challenge at the top and I don't think he'll get half that in quality numbers and that's assuming the likes of Kashi works out.

We need a another keeper even if Phillips is No 1.
    At least 1 each of left & right back
    If Bauer or Tex go another centre half, maybe 2
    Another winger, maybe 2
    At least one centre midfielder maybe 2
    Another striker, maybe 2.
    Another No 10 as he calls it.

No strength in depth currently, no way the squad is capable to sustain a promotion challenge for a whole season if at all.
  • cabbles said:

I'd like to think he'll do a good job for us this year and I don't want this to seem like I'm having a go at KR, but I don't think you can credit him with 'research' here. He pretty much said that when he walked in Chris Parkes told him about the significance, so his knowledge of it was pretty clearly dropped in his lap.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob7Lee said:

cabbles said:

Not really that difficult he only had to remember 1 date and the opposition ....... for all we know he might have had it written on a board out of sight to read from :wink:

He's saying all the right things, but I think they are directed more at the SMT than fans. If he gets the players he wants we may we'll be a top 6 side, but like every year for the last 3+ I don't see that happening.

We all can summise the effect of still having a large wage bill on players unlikely to feature for CAFC will have, I don't know what each player earns but it will no doubt have an effect on numbers of players that can be bought in and what they can be offered.

We're in my view still a minimum of 8 players short of mounting any sort of challenge at the top and I don't think he'll get half that in quality numbers and that's assuming the likes of Kashi works out.

Another winger, maybe 2

No strength in depth currently, no way the squad is capable to sustain a promotion challenge for a whole season if at all.
    He's said he wants a keeper, a full back for either side and a number 10 but that's presumably excluding anyone leaving.

We have 5 senior strikers as it stands (plus Clarke) and he's looking to start one of them (or two, one as the "10"). Can't imagine any owner allowing a manager to have 7 strikers plus 2/3 "number 10s".

Depth has been a problem but a squad of closer to 30 senior players isn't realistic either. I guess you're not considering Sarr, Ceballos, Igor etc as part of the squad?
  • I like the interview and like what he has to say.

I like the recruitment thus far.

I expected a few more "outs" than we have had (so far)

I don't like the way KR says "In some ways" too often.

I'm excited about the upcoming season and I sense KR is too and I really hope the players are up for it. On paper our squad massively underperformed last season - everyone knows that. But i also think on paper we have a very decent team for the level we are playing at. Not as exciting as the year we got promoted yet but plenty of time to go.

Da Silva and Reeves signing would be extremely promising....chuck Mavididi into the mix and I might even get a lazy lob-on
  • edited June 2017

*trawls Search for @Swisdom excited reaction to Slade interview June 2016 :-)

Slade was too dour to get me excited. I like the cut of this scouse fella's jib though ;-)

• You know he had "5th of December 1992" written on his hand !

Fair interview but I don't really listen to what he says anymore, in fact we seemed to do better last season when he wasn't saying much at all.
  • Scoham said:

Rob7Lee said:

cabbles said:

Another winger, maybe 2

He's said he wants a keeper, a full back for either side and a number 10 but that's presumably excluding anyone leaving.

We have 5 senior strikers as it stands (plus Clarke) and he's looking to start one of them (or two, one as the "10"). Can't imagine any owner allowing a manager to have 7 strikers plus 2/3 "number 10s".

Depth has been a problem but a squad of closer to 30 senior players isn't realistic either. I guess you're not considering Sarr, Ceballos, Igor etc as part of the squad?
    Yes, I was assuming those he didn't want last year or have proved they aren't capable still to be absent aside from Kashi who may be worth another chance.
  • I'm sure he has the best of intentions and thinks he means what he is saying.

Unfortunately, he irritates the fuck out of me and from 5 mins in I was tempted to switch it off.
  • I watched it. Reset Scouse Optimism Cycle to We're Gonna Win The League!

Seriously though, he said a lot of good things. I just hope that our squad is as he says it must be for the first game. I'll be missing until September due to cricket (unless it rains) so I'm expecting good things in my absence
  • cabbles said:

I'd like to think he'll do a good job for us this year and I don't want this to seem like I'm having a go at KR, but I don't think you can credit him with 'research' here. He pretty much said that when he walked in Chris Parkes told him about the significance, so his knowledge of it was pretty clearly dropped in his lap.
    Okay, I'll give him credit for realising its significance and referring to it, i.e. He is trying drum up a bit of postivity ahead of the season and talking about something that means something to us all.

Yes it's not hard to mention, but some may have not.

I'm still massively sceptical of his abilities to lead under an incompetent regime, but as I said, I like his enthusiasm
  • Sponsored links:

• He talks a good game. We'll find out in time whether it's enough. June and July seem to be the months where I start to get optimistic that things might just get sorted this time, but I've learnt that to be wrong the hard way with this lot. There's still a way to go.
  • edited June 2017
    I have not come across a character like him, probably since Leaburn, where the fanbase is so split on their opinion, on the bloke. He's like Marmite!
  • shirty5 said:

I have not come across a character like him, probably since Leaburn, where the fanbase is so split on their opinion, on the bloke. He's like Marmite!

Hmm. There was a long running and active thread on here with the title "Powell's football is terrible" And then of course there was the whole later years Curbs stuff.

I get the impression that the attitude towards Robinson tends to the negative, there is always a spectrum of opinion and alot of sensible people who understand that they are not in a position to be too judgemental on any manager since they have never done the job and don't know what tools he has really been given to do the job anyway.

But I think those who think he can take us up, and develop with us if we do go up, are probably as low as 20%. But again, just how I read the comments and views of friends.

• Leuth said:

I'm completely split on him, let alone the whole fanbase!

I like him. I think he is a gobshite and would take anything he says with a pinch of salt, but I still like him and can see why he appeals to people, particularly younger fans.

Whether the players like him or not is a different matter.
  • I’m massively sceptical of anyone being able to manage under this regime. I really don’t think there is much difference in the ability of any of the managers employed (other than the hapless Fry) it’s just their idiosyncrasies that grate, Robinson with his professional scouse routine but personally Luzon made my teeth itch. But Robinson is the first one that I can recall that has publicly voiced that the major problem with us is the lack of adequate depth of the squad, although I have always thought, that most of his predecessors, have said as must to Duch and Daisy just prior to their dismissal. My gut feeling is that Robinson will be dealt the same hand as the others, if you have not learnt from your mistakes after 3 and half years you are unlikely to start now.
  • edited June 2017
    cabbles said:

I think that's the fairest assessment of KR I've read. Nice one cabbles.
  • I actually can't force myself to listen to this man and never have been able to since after MKD (he claims to be the man to have made Dele Alli.. far from it - he just let him play the position Dele wanted to). Self indulged and lies alot. Tries too hard to say the right things and knows what he is doing.

Proofs in the pudding for this pre-season, let's see the outs.