Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Weekly on YouTube!

Hello fellow addicks, I wanted to make a post on here to let you know I've started a series on YouTube talking about everything going on at Charlton and will be posting at least once a week.

The aim is to condense all the talking points from the week into a short video, and get our fans discussing transfers, matches and everything in between - and hopefully also engage other football fans with what's happening at our club. I haven't seen too many other Charlton fans posting content on YouTube but the football community on the site is rich so I just want to be a voice for us. I also do a few other things on the channel related to football, travel and other stuff if anyone is interested in that.

If you want to get invovled please have a little watch, subscribe to the channel and leave comments on the videos! I would also welcome any feedback you have good or bad. Cheers!!

The top video is the first video in the series, and the one below is the latest one which is obviously a little bit more up to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ql9EtvnlCw&t=25s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX-cfoiOqN4

Comments

• Keep up the good work. It's a tough time to be positive but I think you a doing a grand job.

• Keep up the good work. It's a tough time to be positive but I think you a doing a grand job.

Thank you much appreciated!!
  • Keep up the good work, Jamie
  • Think someone posted a video of yours on here recently. Come across well on the camera and you can tell the videos are something you spend a decent chunk of time of getting just right.
  • Nice work.
  • Excellent work Jamie.

Keep it positive!
  • Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone, really encouraging!
  • Great work!
  • Hello fellow addicks, I wanted to make a post on here to let you know I've started a series on YouTube talking about everything going on at Charlton and will be posting at least once a week.

The aim is to condense all the talking points from the week into a short video, and get our fans discussing transfers, matches and everything in between - and hopefully also engage other football fans with what's happening at our club. I haven't seen too many other Charlton fans posting content on YouTube but the football community on the site is rich so I just want to be a voice for us. I also do a few other things on the channel related to football, travel and other stuff if anyone is interested in that.

If you want to get invovled please have a little watch, subscribe to the channel and leave comments on the videos! I would also welcome any feedback you have good or bad. Cheers!!

The top video is the first video in the series, and the one below is the latest one which is obviously a little bit more up to date:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ql9EtvnlCw&t=25s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX-cfoiOqN4

for anyone who missed this
  • Keep them coming mate. Enjoyed watching!
  • Sponsored links:

• Pleasantly surprised at how informative this was. Really well done. I think you'll get better as you do it more, but to be hypercritical (and hopefully helpful, I'm sure you know some of this):

- reduce the "erms", that's the biggest difference between trained presenters and YouTubers/ podcasters. Easier said than done but worth aiming for.

- make sure you have the key stats / info in your head or on paper. On a pre-recorded show there's no excuse for not knowing a fact. Especially if you're jump cutting.

- vids are very long. YT attention spans are very short. Although Google prefer longer videos, as that means people stay on YT for longer, so there's a balance to be found there.

- you could easily cut away more to still images (edit time permitting) and this would help cover many jump cuts (although I'm old school TV in that regard!). It would also help reduce the talking head and keep those tiny attention spans interested.

- find a consistent background. Preferably something professional-looking. It's worth looking into getting something made up to put on the wall, especially if you can light it correctly.

I'm just trying to think of stuff we used to do or get told at work, so hopefully this is helpful. Really like your vids and hope you continue doing them.
  • edited June 2017
    Top work - looking forward to more
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Pleasantly surprised at how informative this was. Really well done. I think you'll get better as you do it more, but to be hypercritical (and hopefully helpful, I'm sure you know some of this):

- reduce the "erms", that's the biggest difference between trained presenters and YouTubers/ podcasters. Easier said than done but worth aiming for.

- make sure you have the key stats / info in your head or on paper. On a pre-recorded show there's no excuse for not knowing a fact. Especially if you're jump cutting.

- vids are very long. YT attention spans are very short. Although Google prefer longer videos, as that means people stay on YT for longer, so there's a balance to be found there.

- you could easily cut away more to still images (edit time permitting) and this would help cover many jump cuts (although I'm old school TV in that regard!). It would also help reduce the talking head and keep those tiny attention spans interested.

- find a consistent background. Preferably something professional-looking. It's worth looking into getting something made up to put on the wall, especially if you can light it correctly.

I'm just trying to think of stuff we used to do or get told at work, so hopefully this is helpful. Really like your vids and hope you continue doing them.

Thanks for this feedback mate, really helpful!

I'm working on the backdrop - I got three 6ft pieces of MDF wood cut last week and I'm in the process of finding an artist or art student to draw up a design and then apply it to the actual MDF with spray paint and other things. Struggling a little bit to find people in the local area at the moment on my budget, but I've been posting on uni Facebook groups and things like that, so hopefully that will materialise soon.

Will definitely work on the erms, the preparation, and try to include some more frequent cutaways. I'm hoping as I make more videos it will become a bit more seamless and the jump cuts will naturally become less frequent. I use them mainly, as you said, to reduce video time as I know attention spans can be short online. The Charlton videos are averaging about 45-50% viewer retention at the moment which is decent as far as I understand - whereas some of the others on my channel are around 30% for example. I've definitely got to find that balance between keeping people interested and getting more favourable SEO criteria so people can actually stumble across the videos in the first place.

Anyway thank you for all this, certainly some things to work on and it's always good to see what people think you can improve on, especially as you've worked in a similar industry!

• Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments!
  • Thank you everyone for your encouraging comments!

And thank you for taking the time to do it.
  • Brilliant watch, keep up the good work
  • Good work pal!
  • Excellent videos, very well done.
  • good work jimmy, definitely a gap in the market for stuff like this.
  • Essex_Al said:

Excellent work Jamie.

Keep it positive!

He's got his work cut out then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Keep it up.

You could be working for the club in three years time.
  • edited June 2017

Essex_Al said:

Excellent work Jamie.

Keep it positive!

He's got his work cut out then.
    No everyone is a miserable sod you know.
  • edited June 2017

Keep it up.

You could be working for the club in three years time.

And then have left in 3 years and one month's time.
  • Well done, sir!
  • Impressive start and no doubt will get even better as time goes by. Congratulations!
  • Thanks to everyone else who's commented, next video will be up either tomorrow or Thursday so stay tuned!
  • Looks great Jimmy, keep it up
  • Love how it was all professional, then all of a sudden "these Belgian twats" haha
  • J BLOCK said:

Looks great Jimmy, keep it up

Thanks matey!
    Talal said:

Love how it was all professional, then all of a sudden "these Belgian twats" haha

Haha.. sometimes the true feelings slip out!