Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Old Valley fencing dating required please

I have a section of fence that I bought (yes really) from the workers who were brought in to tidy the ground before construction back in 1990?

It is a section of the old railings that were up during our most successful spell and was taken from the terracing alongside the main stand in the NW corner.

I am thinking about tidying it up and finding a suitable place in my garden. I want to give it a plaque (I don't care if you think its sad BTW) to indicate where it came from and when it might have been installed at The Valley.

Do any of our knowledgeable Lifers know this please? Perhaps @Henry Irving ?

Comments

• I don't know when it was installed but for the Plaque, Davis Architectural in Anchor and hope lane are making some signs for me, i'll let you know what they're like.
  • I have a section of fence that I bought (yes really) from the workers who were brought in to tidy the ground before construction back in 1990?

It is a section of the old railings that were up during our most successful spell and was taken from the terracing alongside the main stand in the NW corner.

I am thinking about tidying it up and finding a suitable place in my garden. I want to give it a plaque (I don't care if you think its sad BTW) to indicate where it came from and when it might have been installed at The Valley.

Do any of our knowledgeable Lifers know this please? Perhaps @Henry Irving ?

CLB74 is your man.
  • @clb74 Is this so, can you help please?
  • Hi telly I'm afraid not Elfsborg s attempt at a joke.
    Elfs when someone's trying to find out some information is there a need to mess about.
  • Is this the interlocking arched metal pitchside fencing?

Other than saying the obvious that it should be in a Museum I would guess that it was install ed 1930s when the east stand was developed.

A photo would be great as we can then look back at old ground pictures.
  • I'm assuming it's the picket fencing rather than the hooligan fencing?

You assume correctly, the hooligan fencing is circa 1980's.
  • clb74 said:

Hi telly I'm afraid not Elfsborg s attempt at a joke.
    Elfs when someone's trying to find out some information is there a need to mess about.

I am very sorry.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm assuming it's the picket fencing rather than the hooligan fencing?

I see that that stuff is catalogued on page 12 of "Fencing Morons In Monthly", part number Spanna1978
  • The railings are clearly in place on the uncovered covered end in 1923 as shown on this film clip...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQOK3bfMAbw

It is hard to tell from the film if the railings carried on round to the NW terrace. However, the film shows the railings in place to the front of the West stand so it figures they would have been installed on that terrace as well.
  • Is this the interlocking arched metal pitchside fencing?

Other than saying the obvious that it should be in a Museum I would guess that it was install ed 1930s when the east stand was developed.

A photo would be great as we can then look back at old ground pictures.

Do you mean when the east terrace was developed or when the west stand was developed?
  • got the wrong gist about this thread - opened it expecting to find details of dating disasters whilst joining a fencing class.

touché
  • got the wrong gist about this thread - opened it expecting to find details of dating disasters whilst joining a fencing class.

touché

Well don't leave it there. I am sure we all want to know your story now.
  • Were the railings replaced or was the perimeter wall built around them to secure them and make them safer?

• So do you have a photo of your bit of fencing?
  • Sponsored links:

touché

She must have misunderstood what you meant when you asked if you could get touchy-feely with your épée.
  • It's yours so keep it. Just good to know it exists and is being looked after. Remember us in your will though :wink:

I think that is post-Bolton 1923 wall collapse, as seen on the video.

Can I tweet the pic on @chathmuseum
  • Good photo Telly Tubby. An old friend of ours also has some of the fencing also likes hamburgers maybe he could help you.
  • You should get an idea if you look at the world war photo that appears on this site from time to time, but I am unable to find it.
  • For what it's worth, I would urge you not to 'tidy it up'. There is a certain gravitas and beauty about well-worn and used pieces which is often undone by attempts to restore them.
    Anyway, none of my business, but thanks for posting the picture - I wonder how many of us gripped those very railings...
  • Redskin said:

For what it's worth, I would urge you not to 'tidy it up'. There is a certain gravitas and beauty about well-worn and used pieces which is often undone by attempts to restore them.
    Anyway, none of my business, but thanks for posting the picture - I wonder how many of us gripped those very railings...

Fair point but it is deteriorating. I wonder how long it will last if not treated.

It has been painted many times in its lifetime to keep it from oxidising and smart.

I will give your suggestion serious consideration. My gut feeling is that deteriation needs to be halted.
  • Redskin said:

For what it's worth, I would urge you not to 'tidy it up'. There is a certain gravitas and beauty about well-worn and used pieces which is often undone by attempts to restore them.

Fair point but it is deteriorating. I wonder how long it will last if not treated.

It has been painted many times in its lifetime to keep it from oxidising and smart.

I will give your suggestion serious consideration. My gut feeling is that deteriation needs to be halted.
    Best to not leave it outside or better still speak to professional restoration experts about what it can be sprayed/treated with to preserve it in its current state.

PS OK to tweet the pick?

How much did it cost you in 1990?