Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southampton sack Claude Puel

They finished 8th and reached the league cup final, knocking out Arsenal and Liverpool on the way.

Just what were their boards expectations?

Comments

• 7th and to win the League Cup.
  • They finished 8th and reached the league cup final, knocking out Arsenal and Liverpool on the way.

Just what were their boards expectations?

Leicester have set the bar quite high.
  • It's worth noting that their points tally was a long way down on the previous year
    2015/16 6th with 63 points
    2016/17 8th with 46 points

The football played was by all accounts a lot worse as well
  • edited June 2017
    My manager at work is a Southampton season ticket holder and said it's been on the cards for a while. I'm told that the football wasn't great. They scored 17 or 18 goals at home this season.

Seems to think he already has a job lined up back in France.

He often would come in on a Monday saying the game he had been to at the weekend soul destroying, and the only thing that cheered him up was knowing I support Charlton.

The manager of Dortmund (who's name escapes me)last season has been lined up.

Apparently there are a couple of consortiums interested in buying them as well.

• My manager at work is a Southampton season ticket holder and said it's been on the cards for a while. I'm told that the football wasn't great. They scored 17 or 18 goals at home this season.

Seems to think he already has a job lined up back in France.

He often would come in on a Monday saying the game he had been to at the weekend soul destroying, and the only thing that cheered him up was knowing I support Charlton.

The manager of Dortmund (who's name escapes me)last season has been lined up.

Apparently there are a couple of consortiums interested in buying them as well.

WE know that sort of thing never ends up happening, don't we?
  • dizzee said:

Hope they don't come in for Robinson.

Unless it's a swap.
  • Tuchel would be a great appointment if they get him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Tuchel would be a great appointment if they get him.

Yeah, given the rumours circling, I suspect it's this. Puel has done a very good job despite Southampton constantly losing their best players, but Tuchel would be an upgrade.

If Tuchel doesn't end up being appointed, then it's a strange and stupid move. But again, I suspect this is clearing the way for him.
  • Ridiculous again! Bloody owners! ;)
  • I saw them here losing to Sparta Prague in November and they were frankly a disgrace to the 1000 fans who made the trip. Sparta booted them out of a tournament where they should have been targetting a semi-final. I thought he was in trouble then. But after that I thought they got their act together. Odd.
  • It's worth noting that their points tally was a long way down on the previous year

Who sold all the key players that got them the 63 points. What do some of these boards expect.

Who sold all the key players that got them the 63 points. What do some of these boards expect.
    41 goals in 38 games, including no goals in their last 5 home games.

I think the defensive football was a major factor. They still had some decent attacking players last season. Austin/Gabbiadini, Tadic, Redmond

41 goals in 38 games, including no goals in their last 5 home games.

I think the defensive football was a major factor. They still had some decent attacking players last season. Austin/Gabbiadini, Tadic, Redmond
    Curbs wouldn't have lasted long with that lot, would he?
  • I grant you that is not a good goals ratio, but with the squad they have over all, would they achieved more points playing a more open offensive game.

Have to say though, Saints board have made decent decisions in manager selection since their revival from league 1.
  • I grant you that is not a good goals ratio, but with the squad they have over all, would they achieved more points playing a more open offensive game.

Have to say though, Saints board have made decent decisions in manager selection since their revival from league 1.

Les Reed recommendations I believe

Good for him if so. Makes you wonder though, a guy who wasn't a good manager (good coach) can call a good decision on who is a good manager.

Good for him if so. Makes you wonder though, a guy who wasn't a good manager (good coach) can call a good decision on who is a good manager.
    You see many successful managers who did not make it as a footballer.

Mourinho for starters.
  • Sponsored links:

Mourinho for starters.
    Karl Robinson :wink:

Mourinho for starters.

I grant you that is not a good goals ratio, but with the squad they have over all, would they achieved more points playing a more open offensive game.

Mourinho for starters.
    I rest my case.

Apparently Craig Shakespeare wants him as his assistant at Leicester!

In all fairness Les Reed took over a poisoned chalice in us. 10 years ago he took over when we were reeling from Curb's departure and were sinking like a stone.

If he took over at Southampton, with the different circumstances they're in, he might achieve something.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

I grant you that is not a good goals ratio, but with the squad they have over all, would they achieved more points playing a more open offensive game.

In all fairness Les Reed took over a poisoned chalice in us. 10 years ago he took over when we were reeling from Curb's departure and were sinking like a stone.

If he took over at Southampton, with the different circumstances they're in, he might achieve something.
    True he did take over a poisoned chalice but he also helped us to drink from it.