Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Latimer Road fire

Comments

• Options
    Recently found it very hard to get a mortgage approved for an ex local authority flat in Charlton due to the way it was built, and I didn't particularly understand why it was such a risk. I can imagine now this sort of incident will open a lot of questions around similar high rises built in the same way/from the same period.
  • Options

Im a central london firefighter and have attended many high rise fires and they are our worst nightmare with fire spread etc. There was something majorly wrong with that building for the fire to spread that quickly. There really wouldnt be much that could be done for anyone trapped higher up,our biggest ladders reach 9 floors. Logistically it takes time to get the resources on scene and equipment up the building and the manpower required. We work in crews of 2 when entering fires so you can imagine with a fire of that size the amount of firefighters and equipment needed. My thoughts are with those affected and with my collegues involved. RIP to those poor souls.

As an ex-firefighter based in Kent I echo the above, luckily I never had to attend a real high rise flat shout, although the training for the same was arduous enough and very time consuming (laying guidelines etc). RIP to all those who have lost their lives.
    Davo55 said:

Truly awful

Re helicopters, I would imagine that the downdraft of air they would push into the fire could make it even worse? Don't know.

RIP and thoughts with all those affected.

Our emergency services yet again showing themselves to be incredibly brave in their service of our society.

Yes this would happen and it would be way to hot to get close, Piers Morgan actually suggested this morning that maybe we could lower the SAS from helicopter to help rescue anyone trapped.........
  • Options
    edited June 2017

One thought on BBC news someone saying it was possibly a fridge fire on the 4th floor was the cause of the fire and the thought that it was the cladding on te building that caused the fire to spead so quickly.

High Rise buildings are meant to have sprinkler systems fitted to extinguish fires at source.

http://www.highrisefire.co.uk/docs/fpb.pdf

http://www.bafsa.org.uk/sprinkler-information/legislation.php

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/which-councils-are-retrofitting-high-rises-with-sprinklers/7010543.article

My late father spent his working life fighting bureaucrats who tried to resist legislation insisting on sprinkler systems etc.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

One thought on BBC news someone saying it was possibly a fridge fire on the 4th floor was the cause of the fire and the thought that it was the cladding on te building that caused the fire to spead so quickly.

High Rise buildings are meant to have sprinkler systems fitted to extinguish fires at source.

http://www.highrisefire.co.uk/docs/fpb.pdf

http://www.bafsa.org.uk/sprinkler-information/legislation.php

http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/which-councils-are-retrofitting-high-rises-with-sprinklers/7010543.article

My late father spent his working life fighting bureaucrats who tried to resist legislation insisting on sprinkler systems etc.
    Certainly wouldn't have done any harm but the spread of this looks to have been predominantly outside the building.

You are correct though. Even if one life was saved it would be justified.

• Options
    The amazing thing is that I thought the lessons of the Lakanal House fire had been absorbed by all councils. Especially since Southwark were only recently fined over it.
    I fear we're looking at hundreds dead.
    RIP to them and my thoughts go out to their families and friends.
  • Options

Terrible news to wake up to.

Apart from the obvious first thought for the safety of the residents, I haven't seen any mention of any rescue by helicopter, which would seem the best chance of saving lives.

Yes, if they can rescue people from the sea, maybe they can do the same with disaters such as this. I suppose there are factors like the smoke and even how many helicopters are available and how many of them are equiped with the equipment to help. This is not an easy event to plan for I would imagine, that is why we are all so shocked it has happened.
    You would have to presume it's far too hot to fly a helicopter over !
  • Options
    Seems pretty shameful the lack of fire safety and planning within the block.
  • Options
    Someone apparently caught a baby that had been thrown from the 9th or 10th floor!

Wow.
    This is so tragic.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Guy on BBC news just saying it started in Flat 16 on 4th floor when a fridge exploded. He lives on the 4th floor.
    The resident of flat 16 told him that when he knocked on his door to alert him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not a good time to be a mayor of this great city, but Sadiq Khan is so far out of his depth imo.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

Terrible news to wake up to.

Apart from the obvious first thought for the safety of the residents, I haven't seen any mention of any rescue by helicopter, which would seem the best chance of saving lives.

Yes, if they can rescue people from the sea, maybe they can do the same with disaters such as this. I suppose there are factors like the smoke and even how many helicopters are available and how many of them are equiped with the equipment to help. This is not an easy event to plan for I would imagine, that is why we are all so shocked it has happened.
    You would have to presume it's far too hot to fly a helicopter over !
    And too smokey as well.
  • Options
    Tower blocks springing up all around London - I hope the fire planning is better.

This building is still alight after nine hours? Fire brigade don't have the means to deal with it.
  • Options
    Started raging again in the centre of the building.
  • Options

part of my job role takes me to flats and rental properties around Greenwich to check the communal areas for any potential hazards. You'd be shocked the amount of bikes/buggies/furniture that we have to request be moved from fire exits.
    I spend a lot of time arguing with residents about this, as do all Housing Officers. And enforcing our ban on metal security gates on flat front doors. All as part of our fire risk assessments. That is resisted by virtually every resident that breaches the rules.
  • Options

Tower blocks springing up all around London - I hope the fire planning is better.

This building is still alight after nine hours? Fire brigade don't have the means to deal with it.

There is no means to deal with this sort of fire. The ninth floor is the extent of outside staircase access. Internally the problems faced by firefighters are beyond explanation.

It's why fire precautions and first rate materials should always be used. They are not because we always want to save a pound.

• Options
    Addickted will no doubt have a few things to say.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iainment said:

part of my job role takes me to flats and rental properties around Greenwich to check the communal areas for any potential hazards. You'd be shocked the amount of bikes/buggies/furniture that we have to request be moved from fire exits.
    I spend a lot of time arguing with residents about this, as do all Housing Officers. And enforcing our ban on metal security gates on flat front doors. All as part of our fire risk assessments. That is resisted by virtually every resident that breaches the rules.
    Yes it's strange that people who block a door with `keep clear fire exit' on it have always got an argument.
  • Options
    Horrifying pictures this morning.

RIP those innocent people who lost their lives.
  • Options

Not a good time to be a mayor of this great city, but Sadiq Khan is so far out of his depth imo.

Why do you say that?
  • Options
    Firefighters who were there overnight informally told the BBC that "windows were open, curtains billowing, and the fire travelled along the wood cladding shell".
  • Options
    presume this building was built before sprinkler systems were compulsory.

Seem to recall from my Natwest Tower days that was one of the last high rise buildings to be built without one.
  • Options

Sadly I wouldn't be shocked. Not far from me someone set their flat on fire after having a bbq on their balcony which has timber decking.
  • Options
    micks1950 said:

Firefighters who were there overnight informally told the BBC that "windows were open, curtains billowing, and the fire travelled along the wood cladding shell".

The cladding should meet fire regulations - wtf happened here if it spread so quickly?
  • Options
    Police confirming that 6 people have died in the fire but this number is expected to rise
  • Options

Police confirming that 6 people have died in the fire but this number is expected to rise

Once they get into the building that number will shoot up.

So sad.