Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

John Stones overhyped

Sorry I just don't get the hype. Whenever I've seen him I'm totally underwhelmed by his performances. Yet again for England tonight looks out of his depth against quality opponents

Comments

• Options
    Another decent young player that's gonna probably be ruined by over expectant England fans.
  • Options
    England are crying out for a centre half who can play the ball out of defence rather than just hoof it.
    Unfortunately Stones is the player that we have chosen and he is quite simply not good enough.
  • Options
    Shouldn't be anywhere near an England set up.
    You've got to question whether the English player quota for PL teams is working too.
    In my mind all it does is raise transfer fees for players to be benched ,make them believe their own hype due to inflated transfer fees and put enormous pressure on their shoulders.
    I do t know how English football is going to move forward.
  • Options
    He's a funny one. I've seen him in some games and thought he was superb. Positionally smart, tacticaly smart and good on the ball. Other games I've thought he was dogshit - toblerone feet, 50p head and so weak it's unbelievable.

It's sometimes nice to see a CB who actually wants the ball at his feet but, as a former goalkeeper, you never want to see them doing Cryuff turns in the 18 yard box!

He is a good defender but needs to work on his concentration and consider doing the simple thing once in a while
  • Options
    I like him - I just don't think he's ready. He's not been ready for a while too. Typically, he hasn't been given enough time to develop as a young defender.
  • Options
    razil said:

I am I just getting old or are England just not very good compared to El Tel and Hodds eras

We are vanilla. Bland and unimaginative.

Not too dissimilar to Charlton tbf

• Options
    razil said:

I am I just getting old or are England just not very good compared to El Tel and Hodds eras

Were playing as many Spurs players as we can, so we're trying to match the brilliant success that Hoddle achieved, in his glorious allconquering period in charge.
  • Options
    at least he is better than Chris Smalling - who I wouldn't have in my sunday team
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    If we go to Russia with him in the team then we won't get out of the group stages. He's not good enough in defence and he's no midfielder either.

I always wondered what people saw in him , still do.

We have one world class player right now in Kane , the rest are bang average.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    Been saying this for 2 years. A liability and doesn't seem able to learn from his mistakes.
  • Options

at least he is better than Chris Smalling - who I wouldn't have in my sunday team

Tend to agree on that one. Do England just have a lack of depth at CH or are there players who are just getting overlooked? I like the look of Keane, but who partners him. Hopefully Stones develops as both his managers seem to think he will. I'm hoping Joe Gomez gets a run of games either at Liverpool or on loan at another premier team and shows his class
  • Options
    I'd go with cahill and Keane. They're the best of a bad bunch and are old school centre backs. Good in the air and don't much about with it in dangerous situations
  • Options

I'm not sure he is. I don't particularly rate Smalling, but I think he recognises his limitations. Stones is a massive risk taker. He seems to forget he is a defender half the time.
  • Options
    Joe Gomez will take over stones' ball playing defender place.
  • Options
    Wonder if Michael Keane would have played some part over the last two games had he not been injured
  • Options

Joe Gomez will take over stones' ball playing defender place.

He won't start 10 league games
  • Options
    Touted as ball playing defender, but from what I have seen he can neither defend or play the ball.

I am comfortable on the ball - however I am shit and so is he.
  • Options

Sorry I just don't get the hype. Whenever I've seen him I'm totally underwhelmed by his performances. Yet again for England tonight looks out of his depth against quality opponents

I don't know who exactly hypes him?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He was someone who had potential but hasn't developed in the way he should have.
  • Options
    Ive been saying this for ages.
    I have never got the John Stones hype, but when I have voiced my opinion I get shot down by those that reckon they know.
  • Options
    I like Maguire at Hull. He can play a bit and doesn't get caught out half as much as Stones.
  • Options

I like Maguire at Hull. He can play a bit and doesn't get caught out half as much as Stones.

Wish we'd signed him when we got promoted from League One under Powell...

Great Defender, was surprised it took a team so long to snap him up
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    You watch him sometimes and think there is something a bit special about him, then you see him make the most rudimentary of errors. He might have been better off staying with Everton and working on improving. I think a number of us has spotted his weakness. I have spotted the weakness in Hart for many years too. Sometimes we do dseem to know more than the experts - but why should we be suprised - watching football all your life must give you certain insights and perspectives. Even if that is spotting talent when you see it and flaws also rather than qualifying us to be England manager.
  • Options

Wish we'd signed him when we got promoted from League One under Powell...

Great Defender, was surprised it took a team so long to snap him up
    Looks like he is set for Newcastle or Leicester. really good signing for whoever he joins.
  • Options
    I think Maguire is a good, solid defender, but at international level, like Shawcross etc he would be ruthlessly exposed. Cahill has been MILES better than Maguire this year and he looks bang average up against the best players in the world and without Kante protecting the back four in front of him!
  • Options
    I can't deny he's been a bit of a liability but give him some time, he only turned 23 a few weeks ago. The problem we have is that because our pool of players to choose from is seemingly getting smaller, as soon as someone makes a few premier league appearances, he's straight in the England squad. They don't really get the time to develop properly.
    Stones is actually still eligible for the U21 Euro's this summer, as is Sterling (who's another often ridiculed player) yet both are already pretty much being written off as no hopers.
  • Options
    I thought he was just another poor player for England last night amongst all the others. Who thought Oxy-Chamberlain would be the answer in CM, the amount of balls he gave away, causing no end of trouble, and at least the cry of Deli Ali being a world class player can be forgotten, apart from a dubious penalty, was he playing? A very poor performance with no intent when France was down to 10 men. It was a friendly, but no one told France