Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pubs in/around Charlton

2»

Comments

• Options
    Had a good chant named after it
  • Options
    Where do people booze pre game these days my lot use the crown in blackheath mainly never too busy - the oak gets too rammed although is good after the game 
  • Options
    Where do people booze pre game these days my lot use the crown in blackheath mainly never too busy - the oak gets too rammed although is good after the game 

I normally use the Rose of Denmark.
  • Options
    does anyone go into the old Labour club (least i think it was the labour club)? now the Blackheath newbridge club. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    R0TW said:
    Not in my eyes. 

"Happy John," probably the worst publican I ever came across. Loved to bar people for nothing. I remember one occasion when drinking with the card school in the Rose of Denmark on a quiet Thursday evening that the door opened a wide-eyed stranger wondered in looking unsure of himself. He asked gingerly in a strong northern accent for a pint and he was served promptly. As he paid for his drink he said thank you and explained that he had just been barred from the Watermans Arms. We all laughed knowingly and he explained that he was a long distance lorry driver (not Peter Sutcliffe) and it was his first overnight stop in Charlton and therefore his first ever visit to the Watermans. He said he had walked in and asked for a pint to be told "I don't like all you northerners coming down here and talking our jobs, you're barred!" 
    John certainly was a miserable bastard - his Mrs (Shirley) wasn't much better! 
  • Options
    I go in the Anchor, doesn’t get too busy - unless we are playing a team with a big following and aways fans bang it out. 
  • Options
    does anyone go into the old Labour club (least i think it was the labour club)? now the Blackheath newbridge club. 
    Still get in there but it’s too far to walk on a match day so I generally use the fans bar with the kids 
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Not in my eyes. 

"Happy John," probably the worst publican I ever came across. Loved to bar people for nothing. I remember one occasion when drinking with the card school in the Rose of Denmark on a quiet Thursday evening that the door opened a wide-eyed stranger wondered in looking unsure of himself. He asked gingerly in a strong northern accent for a pint and he was served promptly. As he paid for his drink he said thank you and explained that he had just been barred from the Watermans Arms. We all laughed knowingly and he explained that he was a long distance lorry driver (not Peter Sutcliffe) and it was his first overnight stop in Charlton and therefore his first ever visit to the Watermans. He said he had walked in and asked for a pint to be told "I don't like all you northerners coming down here and talking our jobs, you're barred!" 
    Make him right on that though ;)
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Not in my eyes. 

Went in there a few times in the early 1990s and discovered the bar billiards table. That was the only good thing about it.

My own memories of the Watermans - clippings about Peter Sutcliffe on the bar, the Sun's 1992 anti-Kinnock "lightbulb" front page above the door, and Shirley yelling "go back to where you come from!" at an Asian man who appeared on TV in a news report about the BNP in the Isle of Dogs.

Not much of a loss, really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Crown in Maze Hill is good. Great selection of beer.
  • Options
    The Crown in Maze Hill is good. Great selection of beer.
    Don't know of any commercial premises in Maze Hill. It's in Trafalgar Road.
  • Options
    R0TW said:
    Not in my eyes. 

It is amazing how bad landlords become a thing of folklore 😂 my local one such.

A couple of weeks ago a group of about 20 walkers came into the bar and asked if they could have food. They were told they had to order in the other bar but they needed to take their walking boots off before they went in. They all went outside and took their boots off and entered the correct bar. Tried to order food and the landlord said unfortunately the kitchen closed 2 minutes ago !
    The bloke is a total twat but tbh he is the attraction to drinking there
  • Options
    Meanwhile, bad news hot off the press :(