Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cover to Cover: The Monkees v Robert Wyatt - I'm a Believer

2»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2017
    The Monkees......what a pile of manufactured shyte they were/are......Beatles wannabes thrown together by an American managerial/record company team attempting (very poorly I may add) to steal some of The Beatles thunder.
    Thought of as embarrassing rubbish at the time and since by real music aficionados, who for the most part, were left squirming in front of their TV sets in agonised disbelief.
  • Options
    Not keen on either version, though there is a slight improvement when you play them both at the same time.
  • Options
    Monkees
  • Options
    I prefer my Wyatt doing more moody solemn stuff. The Monkees are the ultimate fun band and this song suits them down to a tee. Very easy victory for the sixties boy band. It's not their best record though. That honour goes to the wonderful Valleri (for any Fall fans, it's essentially the same tune as Barmy).

As for Wyatt's best that was another Nick Mason production, the superb, surreal Fictitious Sports. Though I believe that it was actually Carla Bley rather than Mason or Wyatt who was the driving force behind that.
  • Options
    Fan of Wyatt, but the Monkees rendition is much better
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Neil Diamond first sang that song in the same beat as The Monkees, but in latter years (I cant remember which album), slowed it right down to a beautiful ballad.

It is on his 2010 album of mainly covers called Dreams.

Diamond often likes to revisit his compositions. At his concerts he often does a reggae influenced version of Red, Red, Wine.
  • Options

Robert Wyatt, born in Bristol, part of the Canterbury scene (my youth) and one of my favourite musical puns ever - Matching Mole.

So it has to be - The Monkees. Sorry Mr Wyatt.

Love that Matching Mole album, particularly the song Caroline.
    But it's the Monkees for me here. Pure pop. Love it.
  • Options
    Richard J said:

PeterGage said:

Neil Diamond first sang that song in the same beat as The Monkees, but in latter years (I cant remember which album), slowed it right down to a beautiful ballad.

Diamond often likes to revisit his compositions. At his concerts he often does a reggae influenced version of Red, Red, Wine.
    I have seen N Diamond live about 30 times and will do so later this summer. Also to see Brian Wilson later this summer
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

Richard J said:

PeterGage said:

I have seen N Diamond live about 30 times and will do so later this summer. Also to see Brian Wilson later this summer
    I saw Neil Diamond about 15 years ago, he was fantastic.
  • Options
    The Monkees.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Monkees for me, far better
  • Options
    Seems like a landslide Henry :)
  • Options
    Yep, Monkees by a mile