Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Statins

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited January 5
    I think statins have saved millions of lives worldwide. There will always be people with side affects with any medication but I think if your doctor suggests statins then you’d be foolish to refuse. 
  • Options
    I have taken Atorvastatin 100mg for 5 years now since a heart attack and have had no issues. 
    Whatever you do please consult your doctor first.
    I am on a cocktail of tablets and, as I understand it, they work as a team so stopping one may upset the rhythm of the others.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    I was on Simvastatin until the pharmacist in Boots told me that he'd contacted my GP as it was impacting on the diabetic drug Metformin that I was taking, I was then moved onto Atorvastatin. So the advice above is good, talk to your pharmacist.
    I also take Atorvastatin for high cholesterol as well as a cocktail of other drugs for my diabetes, thankfully without any side affects ( my diabetes drugs have other side effects, which are a pain!).
  • Options
    My doctor put me Atorvastatin six months ago, as my cholesterol was creeping up. I was worried about the side effects , but he was very convinced that they were extremely rare. I did a bit of research ( medical journals only, and just the conclusion as I’m no doctor/statistician). All the tests seem to show no significant difference in muscle pain between the statin and a placebo. One suggested that the warning given to people taking the statin about possible muscle pain actually got them to ascribe all muscle pain to the statin. As I’m pretty active, I know my muscle pains well, and they haven’t changed since I went on the statin, but they’ve definitely improved since I started Pilates. 
  • Options
    I was prescribed statins about 20 years ago with moderately high cholesterol. I felt uncomfortable about it though so I tried to lower it naturally. That has been working for me. Porridge almost every day, plenty of exercise (which I like), mainly chicken or fish when I eat meat and generally a low fat diet (without going overboard). I have regular checkups with the doctor and my numbers are in the normal range. I’ve been happy with this approach. I believe it was the porridge that made the main difference. 
  • Options
    edited January 6
    Had a major stroke 3 years back (made a decent recovery fortunately) and was put on Atorvastatin amongst other things. 6 tablets a day since then having taken nothing for years.
  • Options
    edited January 6
    LenGlover said:
    Had a major stroke 3 years back (made a decent recovery fortunately) and was put on Atorvastatin amongst other things. 6 tablets a day since then having taken nothing for years.
    Glad you made a good recovery...any side effects Len?
  • Options
    edited January 6
    LenGlover said:
    Are you saying you take nothing now? Or that prior to your stroke you’d taken no medication 💊?  @lenglover
  • Options
    razil said:
    What is a nutribullet? My dads on Statins and I'm worried it's giving him side effects which appear like arthritis, but also muscle strains. I got my cholesterol right down via the fit bit route, was 6 something but halved it or more

Yes, been able to reduce mine down to 4, mainly by diet, but it does fluctuate From Summer to winter, especially at this time of year, really find it hard to eat salads in winter!. So`I am pre-diabetic's  as the GP tells me, personally at 72 I am more worried about the uncontrolled Hypertension!, but since retiring, ( and not going to Charlton regularly) my blood pressure is far more stable, and lower.The bad side is Arthritis, full knee replacement 18 months ago, the right knee, well  that is buggered as well, and right elbow..... all down to football and playing tennis, avoided 'Statins' as they really affect your travel Insurance, and was  put of when I worked at the BMA , albeit 18 year's ago,  so I may have to revise my opinion!....... but  never been convinced with 'taking long term'  prescription drugs, often an opt out for GP's. 
  • Options
    Get your boots out. You're A.S.'s next signing :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Glad you made a good recovery...any side effects Len?
    Not really apart from a lack of confidence going down stairs and steps which is slowly improving.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Are you saying you take nothing now? Or that prior to your stroke you’d taken no medication 💊?  @lenglover
    Prior to the stroke I took no regular medication.