Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cricket - World Champions Trophy 2017

The Champions Trophy starts 1st June England v Bangladesh.
The final is on 18th June also at the Oval.
England are favourites with the bookies, and just seem to be coming into form after their series win v the World No 1's South Africa.

Comments

• edited May 2017
    It starts 1st June. Todays game is just a warm up.
  • "At home"? :disappointed:
  • Stewart said:

there have been several 'warm ups' played this last week
  • We open the tournament against Bangladesh on Thursday
  • Just watching the cricket writers telly program on sky sports talking about this tournament. Main thing I've noticed is that I went to school with one of them, and he was a knob
  • edited May 2017
    what I don't understand is why we bother with Cardiff. several games of this tournament are being played there and unless the locals have got into cricket recently every time we have played there they never sell out. (in test cricket that is)
  • what I don't understand is why we bother with Cardiff. several games of this tournament are being played there and unless the locals have got into cricket recently every time we have played there they never sell out. (in test cricket that is)

We're reaching out to the heathen natives. Think of it as 21st century evangelism.
  • Yes, last i heard, they were looking to push the boundaries still further, and attempted to use other distant long-forgotten cricketing wildernesses....... however, after sampling the natives of Kent decided otherwise.
  • Stewart said:

Thanks Stew, text amended accordingly.
  • Will do our usual and flatter to deceive. Do we ever do well when we are generally favoured to do well. Will lose to Saffers in semis after beating them 3-0 in the warm up series.
  • Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:

Will do our usual and flatter to deceive. Do we ever do well when we are generally favoured to do well. Will lose to Saffers in semis after beating them 3-0 in the warm up series.

On looking at the groups, its quite possible we could be playing them in semis.With the probablity of Aus v India in the other , Just as SA are coming into form !
  • what I don't understand is why we bother with Cardiff. several games of this tournament are being played there and unless the locals have got into cricket recently every time we have played there they never sell out. (in test cricket that is)

Cardiff presumably offered more money.It does seem off to have no matches north of Birmingham though
  • MrOneLung said:

Will do our usual and flatter to deceive. Do we ever do well when we are generally favoured to do well. Will lose to Saffers in semis after beating them 3-0 in the warm up series.

Not really, reached final just months ago when fancied, albeit in a different format. Ok stokes bottled it a little bit after we done a decent job of defending an underpar total but the Confidence in this team makes it unlikely they will dwell on it.
    The bowlings not the best so there will be reliance on the batting, certainly been the other way around in test cricket over the last few years
  • MrOneLung said:

On looking at the groups, its quite possible we could be playing them in semis.With the probablity of Aus v India in the other , Just as SA are coming into form !
    We have just beaten them twice, they are the real chokers in tournaments, but admittedly can't be discounted
  • Any side with De Villiers,Amla and Rabada in it cant be dismissed.
  • tickets are selling out VERY quickly

Because it's now the England and Wales cricket board. So to be inclusive We have to give Wales special treatment. That's why the stadium expansion was funded by the ECB that's why they only get big test matches or one dayers that are guaranteed to make money... it's not in the interest of the viewer it's on the interest of some warped idea of inclusion!

For the record I think the matches in Cardiff will sell out for the champions trophy but that will be filled with people who have travelled there from the home counties. My housemate is going to two matches there and 2 in Birmingham.
  • My understanding, certainly with the 2009 Ashes series, was that Cardiff simply bid more than any other Test gorund to host an Ashes game - and that this was funded by the Welsh tourism board. How true that is i dont now, but ive heard it from more than one source.
  • My understanding, certainly with the 2009 Ashes series, was that Cardiff simply bid more than any other Test gorund to host an Ashes game - and that this was funded by the Welsh tourism board. How true that is i dont now, but ive heard it from more than one source.

Quite possibly. I have read articles that have criticised them only getting 'big matches based on some idea of inclusion.

I have also read articles about their ground expansion being funded by and ECB inclusion grant created for that purpose! Without which they wouldnt have been able to host internationals. The fact is the demand for cricket isn't there.

The thing that grated was that Cardiff went straight from nowhere to holding an Ashes test, while other grounds like Durham would get Bangladesh in May or similar

Didn't Cardiff then give back a W Indies match the year after?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we can win this with home advantage & the fact that the final is at The Oval and not Lords where our record is comparatively poor.
  • I think we can win this with home advantage & the fact that the final is at The Oval and not Lords where our record is comparatively poor.

My record at the Oval is pretty poor actually, when compared to other grounds, I've seen England (and Kent) lose there or struggle during Test matches

I'll be there for the match against Bangladesh on Thursday. Sorry :smile:
  • Managed to bag 4 hospitality tickets (not cheap - £495 each) for Thursdays game. Never been to an ODI before but have been to a T20. I see we're playing South Africa today? Looking forwaed to it
  • Managed to bag 4 hospitality tickets (not cheap - £495 each) for Thursdays game. Never been to an ODI before but have been to a T20. I see we're playing South Africa today? Looking forwaed to it

50 overs is a lot more enjoyable than t20, IMO. Far more skill and strategy involved
  • I have 2 gold tickets row D for England vs New Zealand in Cardiff on the 6 June. Unfortunately I can no longer go. I have the tickets in hand and ready to post. Im selling them at face value. They are £50 each.
  • Anybody got tickets for the Final ?
  • Tournament starts today
    England play Bangladesh at The Oval
    Looks like Stokes might play as Batsman only.
  • I'm naturally nervous about England in tournaments at any sport, and Bangladesh are a very decent one day side. I reckon with nice clear skies we will have too much in the batting department for them.
  • Overall I think it's India's tournament to lose. Their two quicks Kumar and Bumrah are very good and English conditions will suit them.

Some world class players on show though, the bowlers are in for a tough tournament.