Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Top 10 CAFC appearances

Comments

• Options
    Think I in my saw Robinson and Rufus.

How many appearances did SCP make?
  • Options
    13 for me.
  • Options

12 for me I think

That's interesting, because I've seen 13. Insider which one I saw that you missed..?
  • Options
    10 for me
  • Options
    Just 8
  • Options
    13 for me. Can't see any player in the future making this list. Amazed how many games Berry and Johns played.

Remind me. How many goals did Leaburn score?
  • Options
    Chizz said:

12 for me I think

That's interesting, because I've seen 13. Insider which one I saw that you missed..?
    Peacock
    Gritt
    Flanagan
    Berry
    Robinson
    Leaburn
    Hales
    Warman
    Powell
    Lee
    Rufus
    Johns

Were my 12. I assume Curtis was the other one?
  • Options
    16 for me
  • Options

Chizz said:

12 for me I think

Peacock
    Gritt
    Flanagan
    Berry
    Robinson
    Leaburn
    Hales
    Warman
    Powell
    Lee
    Rufus
    Johns

Were my 12. I assume Curtis was the other one?
    Yes! Spot on. He played in the first game I saw.
  • Options

13 for me. Can't see any player in the future making this list. Amazed how many games Berry and Johns played.

Remind me. How many goals did Leaburn score?

More than might be expected: 66 goals in 376 appearances.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    13 for me. What a great top 20, with two keepers in it. Feel lucky to have seen so many of them. My late dad probably saw all 20.
  • Options
    15 for me since 1964.
  • Options
    16 for sure, plus struggling to remember if i saw Billy Kiernan
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    13 or 14
  • Options
    So, if these 20 players, in their prime, made up our squad for the first match of the season, what would your starting 11 and subs look like, and who would sit in the stands (or be loaned to St Truiden).

For me, based on having seen 13 of them play and heard all of the others spoken about (apart from Norman Smith) I'd go for Bartram in goal, back four of Curtis, Rufus, Hewie and Warman, midfield of Powell, Lee, Peacock and Flanagan with Leary and Hales up front. Subs: Johns, Hurst, Gritt, Leaburn, Robinson, Kiernan and Kinsey. In the stands Berry (with regret having watched all of his career) and Smith.
  • Options
    Just the youngest three that I saw play although I did see Lee play against Charlton (and score) for Newcastle. Possibly saw Gritt. Not sure when he packed up.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Ashers said:

So, if these 20 players, in their prime, made up our squad for the first match of the season, what would your starting 11 and subs look like, and who would sit in the stands (or be loaned to St Truiden).

For me, based on having seen 13 of them play and heard all of the others spoken about (apart from Norman Smith) I'd go for Bartram in goal, back four of Curtis, Rufus, Hewie and Warman, midfield of Powell, Lee, Peacock and Flanagan with Leary and Hales up front. Subs: Johns, Hurst, Gritt, Leaburn, Robinson, Kiernan and Kinsey. In the stands Berry (with regret having watched all of his career) and Smith.

Hurst is I think our top scorer in the top flight so should play.

It's a shame so few have not even heard of Smith. A true hero of the late 20s and early 30s.

• Options

Ashers said:

Powell in midfield?

Hurst is I think our top scorer in the top flight so should play.

It's a shame so few have not even heard of Smith. A true hero of the late 20s and early 30s.

Admittedly don't know enough about some of the older players hence my, perhaps, rose tinted glance to the players of my youth but Colin Powell on his day could be unplayable on the right wing. I'm sure nowadays Norman Smith would be described as 'proper Charlton' and it's been good to learn a bit about him from the ever reliable Valiant 500.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I've been lucky to have seen 15 & unlucky to see some absolute dross in the last few seasons.
  • Options

I've been lucky to have seen 15 & unlucky to see some absolute dross in the last few seasons.

4.0 Charlton
  • Options
    It's interesting how many players who played in the 80s and 90s appear in that table, and indeed the large number of people in the 200s from that era too, like Bolder, Colin Walsh, Shaun Newton, Brown, Kinsella, Balmer, Humprhey, Mark Reid, Mortimer etc

For the club, despite the turbulence off the pitch, we had great continuity both on the pitch and in the dugout. Sigh
  • Options
    14 - some great names on that list, including unsung heroes like Gritty, Les Berry and Phil Warman.

With the possible exception of Chris Solly (given a fair wind), it's hard to see anyone else breaking into that top 20 in the foreseeable future.

We obviously live in a different era with a much greater movement of players, but it would be interesting to see a list of appearances in the Duchatelet era over the last three and a half seasons. I'm guessing that Solly would be at the top of that list, followed by Jacko and Cousins. Difficult to think that anyone else, other than Gudmundsson, has got anywhere remotely near 100 appearances, given that continuity is not Roland's strongest suit.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

14 - some great names on that list, including unsung heroes like Gritty, Les Berry and Phil Warman.

With the possible exception of Chris Solly (given a fair wind), it's hard to see anyone else breaking into that top 20 in the foreseeable future.

We obviously live in a different era with a much greater movement of players, but it would be interesting to see a list of appearances in the Duchatelet era over the last three and a half seasons. I'm guessing that Solly would be at the top of that list, followed by Jacko and Cousins. Difficult to think that anyone else, other than Gudmundsson, has got anywhere remotely near 100 appearances, given that continuity is not Roland's strongest suit.

Morgan Fox is the only one I think
  • Options
    9 plus saw Colin Powell play for Gillingham.

Possibly saw four of the Charlton play for other clubs v Charlton; Flanagan, Lee, Johns and I think Robinson.
  • Options

Blucher said:

You're quite right - 103 appearances according to Wiki
  • Options
    Blucher said:

Blucher said:

You're quite right - 103 appearances according to Wiki
    And played well in six of em
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Any player good enough to warrant staying at this club will be sold long before they can threaten the museum with the cost of a new picture.

How many on the list did you see play? I'm on fairly low 6.

14 for me.
  • Options
    15 for me plus watched Stuart Leary playing cricket at The Rectory Field.