Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Netflix football documentaries

One about Gazza and one about the French football team linked to the politics of France over past two decades.

Both really good films.

Comments

• supaclive said:

One about Gazza and one about the French football team linked to the politics of France over past two decades.

Both really good films.

I produced the Gazza one. One Night In Turn. :-)

Film about a dinner party that night. Does it have the same name?
  • edited May 2017
    supaclive said:

Both really good films.

It's the Gazza biography about his whole career, not the enjoyable World Cup 90 thing narrated by Gary Oldman.

• Last proper world cup. A fans tournament.
  • supaclive said:

Both really good films.

Not that one but will keep an eye out for it :-)
  • Greatest football game of my life that I have witnessed (including play off final)
  • supaclive said:

Both really good films.

What do film producers actually do? Genuine question, I have no idea.
  • edited May 2017
    They make shit happen. Edit: sorry, that was a bit flippant. SupaClive can obviously explain better than me, but my limited understanding is that a producer corrals everyone else. He finds people to invest in the movie and hires the key players to put it together. There are different extents to how involved a producer might be with the production though, it's not an exact science. For instance, executive producers often don't do much at all, but either leant their name to help the movie's profile or because they cut a deal over something entirely different.

@supaclive - it's a long shot, but you didn't come across the producers of I Want Candy by any chance?
  • Next Goal Wins which was the story of American Samoa and their attempts to win a game is always a great watch
  • Here in the States we have one that I think is called "Zlatan." It's actually a period about the inter-war depression and how great art came out of it (it's about Zlatan).

ESPN also did a series of documentaries called 30 for 30, and the Hillsborough one is very good. It was on Netflix, not sure if it still is.

As an aside, ESPN's documentaries about sport in general tend to be ace. I'm like halfway through "OJ Simpson: Made In America" and it's an incredibly fascinating look at him, at race in American Football, at race in the US, and at those factors in Los Angeles when I was just a wee lad. And then it obviously gets into the crime and the trial and all that. I want to say it won an Oscar this year.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not football related, but the 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson is amazing.
  • Another non football on, is about the Barkley Marathon, one of the most insane ultra running events
  • Not football related, but the 30 for 30 on Bo Jackson is amazing.

All of the 30 for 30 I've seen have been very good even when about sports I have little or no interest in.

The one about Henry Hill (of Goodfella's fame) fixing the Boston college basketball games is fascinating. Never realised the real cop played himself in the film.
  • One great Non-Football one is Senna.

Really does cover his career really well - For some reason have only ever watched it once.