Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Thanks to our police, firemen, NHS staff

Skim-reading the Manchester bomb thread, you can't help but note there are 2 diametrically opposed opinions. But even if the thread goes on for another 1,000 pages, I doubt the 2 sides will ever see eye to eye.

But there is one thing I hope we can all agree on - the bravery and skill of our police, firemen and NHS staff the other night.

It takes a special sort of person to run towards a dangerous situation, rather than away from it. And yet we expect those who safeguard us to do just that. And rarely do these people let us down.

I can only imagine what it must have been like to be one of the first on the scene. The sights must have been horrendous. And yet these men and women did all they could to save life and comfort those injured and dying without giving a moments thought to their own safety.

And once the injured were taken to hospital, again we can have nothing but thanks and praise for those who tended those with terrible injuries. My wife is a nurse and I know that if this terrible incident had happened in London, she would have simply put her coat on and gone to our local hospital to see if she could help in any way. As many NHS staff did in Manchester.

I know we all have the odd bad story to tell about the police etc. But at the end of the day, we owe these people so much. So I hope you will bear with me when I say - and genuinely not wishing to make political points here - how I hate it when I then hear a Conservative politician "thanking our emergency services for their actions" given that they only ever want to give these people a derisory pay rise.

To all on here who put their lives on the line protecting and looking after us, I say a huge thank you.

Comments

• Seconded
  • I honestly think most people would have helped, the homeless guys did for example. Nobody knows how they will react. I am paid (on a part time basis) to do stuff but I don't think I am any braver than the next man/woman.
  • just watched the first episode of the second series of 'The Met' .. what a lot the old bill has to put up with ! ..
    it might be just a good PR series but it seems to me that London is gradually assuming the mien of a third world city and it's up to OB to keep the lid on a lot of problems with not a lot of gratitude and thanks from 'the general public'
  • I read that the Fire Service wasn't allowed to attend for over 90 minutes after the incident because Brigade chief's wouldn't authorise it until they had been kitted out with bullet proof vests.

I agree though that the NHS, fire and police services do a great job in very trying circumstances.
  • I read that the Fire Service wasn't allowed to attend for over 90 minutes after the incident because Brigade chief's wouldn't authorise it until they had been kitted out with bullet proof vests.

I agree though that the NHS, fire and police services do a great job in very trying circumstances.

Some of the Kent lot have body armour, USAR/Technical Rescue.
  • cfgs said:

I read that the Fire Service wasn't allowed to attend for over 90 minutes after the incident because Brigade chief's wouldn't authorise it until they had been kitted out with bullet proof vests.

Some of the Kent lot have body armour, USAR/Technical Rescue.
    Same in London