Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

WTF has happened to the City ?

Every year when it starts to warm up a bit and I'm strolling home from some do where I've been quaffing free booze all evening it never ceases to amaze me how much the City has changed. Where has that place where the pubs shut at 8pm gone and where did all these people that fill the place up as they are drinking outdoors (what happened to the coppers that used to tell you off for doing that ?) come from ?

Comments

• Options
    Sometimes...things change over time. ;)
  • Options
    Hic
  • Options

Every year when it starts to warm up a bit and I'm strolling home from some do where I've been quaffing free booze all evening it never ceases to amaze me how much the City has changed. Where has that place where the pubs shut at 8pm gone and where did all these people that fill the place up as they are drinking outdoors (what happened to the coppers that used to tell you off for doing that ?) come from ?

The times they are a changin'
  • Options
    Even Cannon Street station is open on Saturdays.
  • Options
    in other breaking news the pubs dont close from 3:00-5:00 any more.
  • Options
    Next you'll be telling me that if it's not on expenses a pint costs more than two bob
  • Options
    the Jampot is a great place to be today, just spent a lovely couple of hours in there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

5.30pm wasn't it?
  • Options

Not one for living up to your CL user name are ya!!! :wink:
  • Options
    Simonsen said:

MrOneLung said:

5.30pm wasn't it?
    Correct.

Standard hours were:

Mon-Sat 11.00am - 3.00pm and 5.30pm - 11.00pm

Sun - 12.00pm - 2.00pm and 7.00pm - 10.30 pm

• Options
    When I worked there most pubs in the City would close around 8/9pm on weekdays ad weren't open at weekends.

After that we went to either the Woodin Shades or the one in Leadenhall Market just off Bishopsgate, New Inn maybe??
  • Options
    Each new building they put up probably holds more people than the whole City did twenty years ago. No wonder the stations can't cope.

I used to wait at work until six to get my train home from London Bridge. By that time the rush hour was over and the trains were back to normal!
  • Options
    It seems to me that the vast majority of the pubs I used in the City have closed/been demolished.

The guy in the link below has done an admirable and no doubt boozy job of retracing a publication of City of London pubs in 1973. It's in several parts but there's plenty of decent photos of old City pubs and lots of nostalgia.

https://darkestlondon.com/2014/03/13/city-of-london-pubs-1973-forty-years-on/
  • Options
    Beggars belief how we all coped on Sundays with those opening times.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Simonsen said:

MrOneLung said:

5.30pm wasn't it?
    Correct.

Standard hours were:

There were at least a couple on the back streets around Finsbury Sq where you could wander in @ 5pm and drink in the dark.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Simonsen said:

MrOneLung said:

5.30pm wasn't it?
    Correct.

Standard hours were:

There were at least a couple on the back streets around Finsbury Sq where you could wander in @ 5pm and drink in the dark.
    Or an extra early one around Smithfields Market.
  • Options
    In the early eighties, I used to go to a lot of gigs at the Marquee in Wardour Street in Soho , even up there a lot of pubs were closed on a sunday. At the time the City was a write off at weekends like people have said.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    City pubs used to shut at 8pm. If you wanted a drink in the Square Mile after that in the 1970s you could bat on in the Disco downstairs at the Deacons in Buck House or you had to venture out a little bit. Our favourite was generally to cross the bridge, quite often to Becky's bar, the one in the old debtors prison where you could buy a decent pint of real ale and didn't mind the decor.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Each new building they put up probably holds more people than the whole City did twenty years ago. No wonder the stations can't cope.

I used to wait at work until six to get my train home from London Bridge. By that time the rush hour was over and the trains were back to normal!

Good point.
    I was told recently that a single floor office on Lime street would cost a firm over £1,000,000.00 per annum in rent alone.
    The demand is growing and the pubs are thriving, personally I love it.
    Nowhere better to have a drink than the city especially on a day like today.
    On the flipside the train users are stung, not only with rising fares but overcrowding too.