Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Badgers and Foxes

In these troubled times, I would like to share a beautiful moment I had last night. My wife through a friend organised a visit to a special glass fronted hut where you could observe badgers. We got there at about 8 o'clock and it was quite noisy with the bird song. We say a very young fox walk by and a few rabbits. Then as it got darker the birds got quieter then silent, and the badgers came out. Food is left infront of the hut and of course the animals know this. To see a wild beautiful animal like a badger - not in a zoo but in it's natural habitat was a thing of beauty. They could not see us but we could see them up close. It was so relaxing - with life bustling around them, to be part of this oasis of nature.

Then we saw a beautiful fox. What a majestic wonderful creature. We are so fortunate to have these beautiful creatures in this country. I reccomend the experience.

Comments

• Was looking out the front window of my daughters new house in Torquay a couple of weeks ago at about 22:30. Right accross the way on a raised area of lawn was a badger. Seeing that made my week.
  • I saw four of them together - it was glorius. Watching a beuatiful creature in its natural environment.
  • They love mashed potato by all accounts.
  • They love mashed potato by all accounts.

Didn't know they could dance !
  • i think they were eating peanuts and dog food pellets which are left in front of the hut every night. That's what it looked like, and you could hear them crunching away.
  • Don't tell Mrs May.
  • edited May 2017
    I couldnt take photos as my camera made too much noise, but my wife got a few on her phone. I'll try to put some up later. There is currently a mass cull policy of badgers to stop TB despite experts saying it is needless. These are glorius creatures. Last night was a real priviledge and very relaxing. I did almost have to be dragged along, but I am so glad I went.
  • we see a lot of badgers around our way and it's wonderful when we do. Also on the rare occasion we see a fox, not many in the countryside, they are always healthy with a big bushy tail and look majestic. It's just a shame that badgers especially are not road aware, practically every day we see a new dead one on the way to the station, very sad to see.
  • edited May 2017
    Yes, It is always very sad when you see a dead fox or badger in the road.
  • I will say one thing about badgers - my aunts small dog was found ripped to shreds at the end of her garden in Camden Rd backing on to Bexley Woods. Vet said it bared all the hallmarks of a badger - they have very sharp teeth and can be aggressive.
  • Sponsored links:

• I adore wildlife. I feel really sorry for people that don't understand the joy of it, they are really missing out.
  • we see a lot of badgers around our way and it's wonderful when we do. Also on the rare occasion we see a fox, not many in the countryside, they are always healthy with a big bushy tail and look majestic. It's just a shame that badgers especially are not road aware, practically every day we see a new dead one on the way to the station, very sad to see.

I remember driving along a country lane with my full beams on when a badger darted out in front of me. It decided that it's best bet was to outrun me along the lane rather than swerve back into the hedgerow. I must have dawdled along behind it for 30 seconds with it looking over its shoulder every few strides before I turned off the lights saw it turn to safety. It was a special moment but I've never been surprised by the number of dead badger you see at the side of the road since that encounter.

I remember driving along a country lane with my full beams on when a badger darted out in front of me. It decided that it's best bet was to outrun me along the lane rather than swerve back into the hedgerow. I must have dawdled along behind it for 30 seconds with it looking over its shoulder every few strides before I turned off the lights saw it turn to safety. It was a special moment but I've never been surprised by the number of dead badger you see at the side of the road since that encounter.
  • We got badgers in our wood, ghe dogs roll in their shit on a daily basis

Didn't know sleighs had full beams ;-))
  • Oh yeah, badgers were here before us werent they.

#badgersrights #shitwheretheywant #didn'tpayapenny #fuckinsquaters #goodjobImallowedtoshootthebuggershere
  • edited May 2017
    On our land, and surrounding land we have badgers, foxes, squirrels, rabbits, bats (in our roof!) and just about every native species of bird, including buzzards that are majestic as they prowl the skies overhead with crows buzzing them to try to scare them off.

It's like living in a zoo!! But I'm not complaining.
  • edited May 2017
    bobmunro said:

On our land, and surrounding land we have badgers, foxes, squirrels, rabbits, bats (in our roof!) and just about every native species of bird, including buzzards that are majestic as they prowl the skies overhead with crows buzzing them to try to scare them off.

Can I come and shoot your rabbits and squirrels please Robert? I'll do you some of my lovely bunny burgers in return
  • I will say one thing about badgers - my aunts small dog was found ripped to shreds at the end of her garden in Camden Rd backing on to Bexley Woods. Vet said it bared all the hallmarks of a badger - they have very sharp teeth and can be aggressive.

My vet seems very nice.

• Sponsored links:

• +1 for loving the wildlife.

I know going to uni takes a lot of bashing but the best thing I ever did was going to uni as a mature student, getting my qualifications and now working professionally surveying nature.
  • bobmunro said:

most evenings when I walk the dogs I see a bird of prey circling overhead (probably buzzards as they are the most common bird of prey in the south east) and I watch as they stalk their prey from on high before swooping in for the kill. It really is a sight to see. I look across the open countryside towards Eastbourne and the South Downs and think how lucky I am.

• I saw a badger in broad daylight I was cycling up (fittingly) Rabies Heath Road at the weekend. Love badgers - having grown up and lived my entire life in inner city London the first time I ever encountered one in the wild was a few years back, driving a work van at about 3 o'clock in the morning through a village out Hastings way. Couldn't believe how big the fucker was - it was like a small bear!
  • I must say I have seen loads dead by the roadside this year - moreso than usual.

Foxes are common but i've only ever seen 2 badgers in the wild and this week alone I've seen 3 or 4 dead in the road (around Snodland, Wrotham Hill and Brands Hatch)
  • We've recently had badgers in our garden. Besides digging a toilet, which is not too much problem, they have dug 2 other holes. The latest is 2 foot deep and right by our patio table and not far from our back door. We still have a lot of bees buzzing around as if in panic. Our assumption is the badger found a bumble bee nest and has dug to get at it. We are not sure exactly what we should at the moment.
  • I've never seen a badger live. I used to live in Erith and we had foxes all the time (even when visiting my parents with my daughters, who'd never seen one. I've seen a whale, dolphins, a ray and seals in the sea, plus wild bor in the hills around Barcelona, but I'd love to put a tick in the box next to 'Badger'.
  • A fox has just started visiting our garden and the cats are looking a bit stressed. Has anyone had any fox/cat encounters? How can I persuade Mr Fox to depart... maybe to Sheffield?
  • I saw a badger in broad daylight I was cycling up (fittingly) Rabies Heath Road at the weekend. Love badgers - having grown up and lived my entire life in inner city London the first time I ever encountered one in the wild was a few years back, driving a work van at about 3 o'clock in the morning through a village out Hastings way. Couldn't believe how big the fucker was - it was like a small bear!

I've seen quite a few in daylight. One day last year I looked out of my lounge window and saw a young badger (about the size of a large cat) just ambling across the lawn. I went outside to get a closer look and got within 10 feet of him - he turned around, looked at me, almost staring me out, and then carried on ambling across the lawn with not a care in the world!

Yes they do grow quite large - I wouldn't want to corner a full grown male that's for sure.
  • edited May 2017
    I was out jogging the other night and one shot across the lane infront of me, couldn't believe the size of the thing, scared the living daylights out me certainly up the pace from an amble for a 100 yards
  • bobmunro said:

Can I come and shoot your rabbits and squirrels please Robert? I'll do you some of my lovely bunny burgers in return
    There are so many rabbits at times, Rob, that a single shot would take out half a dozen!

But the answer to your question is no! I don't mind sharing with them and think they are really cute. My local farmer on the other hand doesn't share the same view!