Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dry Month

I have had a few heavy weekends of late so have decided to try and do a month dry for various reason but have now realised that I don't think i have gone more than 2 weeks with out a beer since turning 18.

Drinking has been a massive part of my social life weather it be boys nights out or couples meals with wine to just a few on a Sunday in the garden with family and of course football so I am quite looking forward to giving this a go to see what benefits it makes.

Anyone else done this before for Dry January or just like me decided to give it a go for a health kick? Any tips or thoughts?

Comments

• I stopped drinking about 5 years ago, have probably had about 3 glasses of wine or similar in that period. Don't miss it one bit and after the initial shock from my friends they now know if we go out to a pub i'll be drinking a coke rather than a beer, it doesn't need to effect your social life, you can still do everything you ever did just have something non alcoholic in your glass.
  • Done it a few times. For me the first weekend was tough, after that I got into a routine. Felt really good after a month too.
  • I usually have a couple of dry weeks in January, but don't find it makes any difference to my feeling of well being really! Indeed I normally just end up with a heavy cold instead

• bobmunro said:

I'll freely admit to being a binge drinker. I can go weeks without a single drop of alcohol, but then in the right circumstances/company I will get legless.

Not too dissimilar. I dont drink in Dubai, but as i travel a fair bit i do all my drinking on business trips. Just had a week in HCMC and drank a nice amount, back here for 2 weeks then off to Korea and China which I already know will be heavy!
  • Been off it basically since New Year, just arrived out in Turkey for a fortnight, Wagons hurtling downhill at a rapid rate of knots.
  • Rob7Lee said:

I stopped drinking about 5 years ago, have probably had about 3 glasses of wine or similar in that period. Don't miss it one bit and after the initial shock from my friends they now know if we go out to a pub i'll be drinking a coke rather than a beer, it doesn't need to effect your social life, you can still do everything you ever did just have something non alcoholic in your glass.

Done a similar thing, not had a beer, occasionally have a Jameson, did so on a recent stag do at the races. Only in the evening, you can see what alcohol does to your heart beat, guess what day I had the drink.
  • very rarely go a weekend without drinking, this weekend had don't very often drink midweek nights, personally i wouldn't change my lifestyle.
  • edited May 2017
    I gave it up at 11.50pm on 31.12.05 watching Jules Holland's Hootenanny I planned to have a dry January in 06, but it just went on from there and went from strength to strength. Saved money got fitter etc etc. Haven't touched alcohol since.

I recommend that you make sure you want to do it, plan the date and just do it.

You will get pressure from others, but take it in your stride, and if you've got a supportive partner that's a bonus.

It is a change of lifestyle.
  • Sponsored links:

• My wife gave up when she fell pregnant. 23 years later she tries to drink like a teenager and finds she is absolute rubbish at it now.
    Me, I've never even tried to stop drinking, not that I would ever describe myself as a real drinker. I don't see the point or benefit in giving up something I enjoy. 2 or 3 pints on a Friday lunchtime just to be sociable is nice. I couldn't go into a pub and drink soft drinks and wouldn't have thought pints of coke, orange or J2Os are any more healthy than a pint of wife beater.
    Everything in moderation.
  • I have had a few heavy weekends of late so have decided to try and do a month dry for various reason but have now realised that I don't think i have gone more than 2 weeks with out a beer since turning 18.

Drinking has been a massive part of my social life weather it be boys nights out or couples meals with wine to just a few on a Sunday in the garden with family and of course football so I am quite looking forward to giving this a go to see what benefits it makes.

Anyone else done this before for Dry January or just like me decided to give it a go for a health kick? Any tips or thoughts?

you don't say how old you are .. if you're 19, not too bad .. but if you're 59 ! .. you could have a problem ((:>) ... my tip ? .. just don't drink alcohol, simple as that .. and if your 'social life' revolves around booze and little else, be antisocial for a while .. good luck
  • edited May 2017
    As I get older, I've found I really don't want to drink as much as I used to. It's not just my head being sensible, but more that my body doesn't seem to want it.

I'm sure that more difficult financial circumstances and regular medication has played a part - but once I've had a couple of pints, I'm done.
    I just don't want any more. And I end up being the sensible one, when friends get legless and spout gibberish haha

I've never been tempted with soft drinks with all that sugar overload. God only knows how people drink CocaCola as beer substitute - several of my friends used to do it, but stopped after putting on loads of weight and getting Type 2 diabetes.

But a pint of decent ale, or a glass of red wine with smelly French cheese; and very occasionally a drop of single malt, is still something to look forward to.

• I have had a few heavy weekends of late so have decided to try and do a month dry for various reason but have now realised that I don't think i have gone more than 2 weeks with out a beer since turning 18.

you don't say how old you are .. if you're 19, not too bad .. but if you're 59 ! .. you could have a problem ((:>) ... my tip ? .. just don't drink alcohol, simple as that .. and if your 'social life' revolves around booze and little else, be antisocial for a while .. good luck
    Im 33 now, dont get my wrong i dont think I have a problem with drink and it has not caused me any issues apart from hangovers lasting longer.

This is just something I wanted to do really as part of a little health kick before a holiday, read a few things on the net and thought now was a good time to give it a go which will also help save some money while football is not on.
  • I've got two toddlers, do a month without alcohol by accident all the time.
  • i gave up the booze for about 6 weeks last year. reason was I was in hospital for a month and then was recovering at home for a further 2 weeks before then going back to my normal drinking habits which I've had since I was about 19. I love pubs and during the summer I would find it incredibly difficult to stop drinking purposefully as a pint in the summer sunshine is probably one of the best things to do on gods green earth.
  • I've been dry for about a month now due to deadlines and exams. I'm done on Wednesday and I have 16 cans ready in the fridge plus a bottle of rum and a bottle of whisky! Watch out Canterbury!!!!!!

Any food in there Canters?
  • Sponsored links:

• I've been dry for about a month now due to deadlines and exams. I'm done on Wednesday and I have 16 cans ready in the fridge plus a bottle of rum and a bottle of whisky! Watch out Canterbury!!!!!!

We have a different fridge for food. Although in a week's time that will be half beer too...

Eating's cheating.
  • edited May 2017

I've been dry for about a month now due to deadlines and exams. I'm done on Wednesday and I have 16 cans ready in the fridge plus a bottle of rum and a bottle of whisky! Watch out Canterbury!!!!!!

We have a different fridge for food. Although in a week's time that will be half beer too...
    Oh yes I forgot. Two fridges at 'that' Uni :-)
  • I've got two toddlers, do a month without alcohol by accident all the time.

this

having 4 kids under 11 now means alcohol can be a thing of the past sometimes, I can go a few weeks at a time without touching a drop. Tend to drink more in the summer at BBQ's etc now but even then not to excess. Have the odd night out (but only when the missus gives me a pass from assisting with the kids first thing!)

I had a dry week before my hardest exam, then had a few to celebrate afterwards!
  • edited May 2017
    I drink every day, but always do dry January, which is a bit of a struggle. Every year I decide that not drinking feels good and to cut down and maybe limit myself to weekends, then February the 1st comes and I'm straight back into the old routine.
    Greenie must have amazing willpower to do a whole year or even three months, though I don't think it helps that my wife has the same drinking habits as me.

Oh yes I forgot. Two fridges at 'that' Uni :-)
    Yes don't you know? Former Polys are also known as 'one fridge unis.
  • Dry month? Haven't had a dry day for 25 years...
  • If you want to cut down on alcohol intake you could always buy beers with less alcohol in them as an alternative. There are some decent tasting pints out there these days with lower alcohol content