Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Five years ago today...'AGUEROOOOOO!!'

Yes, City bought the league with a team of mercenaries, but it still gives me goose bumps and must be one of the greatest ever football moments.

https://youtu.be/81bv_gF4j5k

https://youtu.be/AgoEWtB3fA0

Comments

• QPR gave up, didn't mark for either goal. They should have been punished with relegation and in a rightful universe would have been
  • Not just one of the great footballing moments, but one of the great moments in modern sport for me.

Also, if memory serves about half of that team was brought in pre-Abu Dhabi takeover: Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, De Jong, Barry(?), Richards (don't think he started that day).
  • Far from one of the great moments in modern sport. The most expensive squad in England overwhelms ten-man basketcase? Boring. It'd have been more memorable if they hadn't won.
  • Wow, my heart is racing after watching that. Truly incredible climax, especially for a neutral. The closest I can imagine to the feeling of being a Citeh fan there that day is probably Ilic saving Gray's penalty.
  • Missed it, was watching Welling lose to Dartford in the Conference South play-off final.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2017

Does not even come close to the Liverpool v Arsenal title decider at Anfield in the 88/89 season.

"A victory for Arsenal would have brought the two teams level on points. An Arsenal victory by two clear goals would have given them the title on goals scored, as the two teams would have been tied on goal difference at +37. A three-goal deficit or more would have won Arsenal the title on goal difference. Any other result (i.e. a Liverpool victory, a draw or an Arsenal win by one goal) would have given the title to Liverpool. Liverpool had not lost by two or more goals at Anfield in three years, and Arsenal had not won there in fifteen".

The match is considered to be one of the most dramatic conclusions to a league season in the history of the English game and every time I see a re run of Michael Thomas's last minute goal, I still think he is going to be tackled even nearly 40 years on!

I remember it well, but no-one else was playing that night, so it was more like a cup final, albeit one where it didn't start 0-0. The fact that there was a full programme of games on and united finished their game in top spot makes this slightly better for me.
  • It was a Friday night and live on TV so was quite unusual. That was a better ending as it involved the two actual protagonists.

As the late great Brian Moore commentated ' it's up for grabs now.......'

Mind you when you watch highlights of the game you see why introducing the back pass rule was the best law change ever.
  • MrOneLung said:

It was a Friday night and live on TV so was quite unusual. That was a better ending as it involved the two actual protagonists.

As the late great Brian Moore commentated ' it's up for grabs now.......'

Mind you when you watch highlights of the game you see why introducing the back pass rule was the best law change ever.

My year group left school that day for A Level study leave, which certainly added to the occasion. Definitely the best atmosphere I've been part of for a tv game. About thirty people crammed in someone's front room.
  • Does not even come close to the Liverpool v Arsenal title decider at Anfield in the 88/89 season.

"A victory for Arsenal would have brought the two teams level on points. An Arsenal victory by two clear goals would have given them the title on goals scored, as the two teams would have been tied on goal difference at +37. A three-goal deficit or more would have won Arsenal the title on goal difference. Any other result (i.e. a Liverpool victory, a draw or an Arsenal win by one goal) would have given the title to Liverpool. Liverpool had not lost by two or more goals at Anfield in three years, and Arsenal had not won there in fifteen".

The match is considered to be one of the most dramatic conclusions to a league season in the history of the English game and every time I see a re run of Michael Thomas's last minute goal, I still think he is going to be tackled even nearly *40 years on!

Agree. Not a touch on the drama at Anfield that night. *By the way, did you go to the same school as Diane Abbott?
    Well spotted @bazjonster, maths was never my strong point and I don't feel as old now lol
  • There's no way Alan Smith touched that first goal though! Back in the days of indirect free kicks.

@SDAddick - you're right about those players being pre-Abu Dhabi. They were bought with dodgy Thai money instead!
  • Best thing about the day was the City fans who left early and were then climbing over walls to get back in. A modern day foreign owned mega rich Prem team, together with modern day fans, who even on the day their team wins the league - still leave early
  • Best thing about the day was the City fans who left early and were then climbing over walls to get back in. A modern day foreign owned mega rich Prem team, together with modern day fans, who even on the day their team wins the league - still leave early

What was your favourite last minute winner?
  • It happened at Selhurst !
  • I was always a bit suspicious about the Man C v QPR game, no particular reason, just a bit too good to be true, maybe I'm overtly cynical. Liverpool v Arsenal for me any day.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

There's no way Alan Smith touched that first goal though! Back in the days of indirect free kicks.

@SDAddick - you're right about those players being pre-Abu Dhabi. They were bought with dodgy Thai money instead!

Actually I think it was a case where they were bought with fake dodgy Thai money. I want to say that when Sheik Mansour took over there were huge payments owed on transfers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Had just come out of Princes Park after Dartford v Welling play-off final. City scored the two goals in the time it took to walk from the away end to the main road. Amazing.
  • I was always a bit suspicious about the Man C v QPR game, no particular reason, just a bit too good to be true, maybe I'm overtly cynical. Liverpool v Arsenal for me any day.

Knowing Joey Barton he probably had money on it
  • edited May 2017
    Remember Joey Barton trying to take on the whole City team when he got sent off. Seriously wished the ref would just let him get a good shoeing. The faces on the United fans was priceless too when they had the title snatched away.
  • Sir Alex Ferguson was actually planning to announce his retirement after that game. But he couldn't take the noisy neighboughs winning the title in his last year so he carried on one more year to win the title nd he went out on that.
  • The best thing about this was watching the faces of the United fans and players.

Rubber faced Phil Jones's reaction was the best
  • Leuth said:

Far from one of the great moments in modern sport. The most expensive squad in England overwhelms ten-man basketcase? Boring. It'd have been more memorable if they hadn't won.

So boring and unmemorable that 5 years later and it's being mentioned on a fans forum of a league one club?

• edited May 2017
    Uboat said:

Does not even come close to the Liverpool v Arsenal title decider at Anfield in the 88/89 season.

The match is considered to be one of the most dramatic conclusions to a league season in the history of the English game and every time I see a re run of Michael Thomas's last minute goal, I still think he is going to be tackled even nearly 40 years on!

I remember it well, but no-one else was playing that night, so it was more like a cup final, albeit one where it didn't start 0-0. The fact that there was a full programme of games on and united finished their game in top spot makes this slightly better for me.
    I had a quid on 2-0 to Arsenal....won £12.
  • Leuth said:

Far from one of the great moments in modern sport. The most expensive squad in England overwhelms ten-man basketcase? Boring. It'd have been more memorable if they hadn't won.

Leave off. One of the greatest (if not the greatest) moment in recent history in the most watched league in the world of the most popular sport in the word.