Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Vinyl Records (Different subject)

2»

Comments

• Options
    Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Vinyl is the format that refuses to die! It's back - you can buy it in Sainsbury's. I've kept mine and the turntable to play it on. I'm delighted to see it making a comeback.

If you are thinking of selling, now is a good time, as the comeback may be short-lived. But there is as much chance that it won't be, in which case the only way is up (anyone got that on vinyl?).

I discovered, through years of collecting, that yer Beatles, Stones, Elvis, are not as valuable as people thing, as they sold in their millions. The records that do fetch money are any by the top artists that, for whatever reason, were not sold in their millions or are in some way different - miss-print on sleeve, first pressing, that sort of thing. Then you have records which:
    - feature certain artists when they were unknown,
    or
    - are rare records within a particular market - e.g. rare punk records or rare Motown

Since the advent of digital media, to be valuable, records have to be immaculate - younger collectors will not put up with less than 100%

Right, got to go - need to put on another one of my anoraks and put this one in the wash.

Vinyl will never die, at least from the collecting point of view. There is still a circle of people (mainly in the States) chasing early 1900 blues records. Northern Soul collecting has never been so popular. In the so called heyday you had thousands collecting in this country. You now have multi thousands all over the world buying.
    Obviously the Beatles Stones whoever who had hit after hit are practically worthless. You'll get the occasional item from the well known groups that will be worth money as you say, uk demo copies will nearly always be worth more than the issue no matter who it is & yes any odddity, mis print on label, even the wrong song playing on either side because of some malfunction at the pressing plant will all add to the value.
    If you want to go back to the 60s there were so many records being released in the main it was the tried & trusted bands beatles stones etc who all made the charts whereas there were brilliant records released by lesser knowns that never made it for whatever reason. These are the ones that are worth money.

Totally disagree with" to be valuable, records have to be immaculate - younger collectors will not put up with less than 100%" While we would all like our records to be immaculate often it just isn't possible.
    Going back to the Northern soul thing + the 60s so much released & only a certain amount can be hits thing, while you can still get hundreds mint/ex items of the easier to find stuff sometimes if you have been after a rarity for a number of years & one turns up you have a choice, go for that less than immaculate copy (& we're talking 50+ year old 45s) or risk never getting the chance again. For example 2 years ago a copy of Gwen Owens Just say you're wanted & needed Velgo w/d with a totally shagged label & only vg vinyl sold on ebay for $2,827 Most issues (which are rare themselves) are well known to have a fault which results in the record jumping. So do you wait for another demo in immaculate condition & probably pay double that value or jump in & buy for half price a copy that crackles a bit ? Or how about an even rarer item THE TOMANGOE'S I Really Love You WASHPAN which was VG+ & went for $7,078 ? Crazy money but if there's only a few known copies of an item, you really want it & you have the money, then you have to go for it when it's there. A crackle here & there on a 50 year old record is unfortunate but not totally unexpected really. You have to understand in the 60s a lot of local independent record labels were basically one man bands & could only get say 200 copies pressed up (& I know this for a fact) in the hope of getting some airplay & being picked up by a national label for release. Most of course sunk with out trace & over time copies get thrown away, broken etc & mainly forgotten ........... or at least until enterprising DJs / record dealers started going to the States looking for unknowns....but thats another story & like yours my anorak needs a rest :wink:
    I'm sorry you "totally disagree" with me! I don't "totally disagree" with you, in fact I would say you are right, in the circumstances you outline, where a record is ultra rare then condition may be less important, but for the less rare stuff condition is vital. You do give me hope that in among the 4,500 (approx) singles clogging up various spaces in my house is a single in shit condition that is worth 5 grand. The problem is a) finding it and b) recognising it!
    Apologies if you think I was being rude, that wasn't the intention.
  • Options
    When selling vinyl on eBay I found that early to mid 90s albums, which most people bought on cd at the time, fetched higher prices. Things like Smashing Pumpkins, Pixies, The Breeders, Throwing Muses. Also made a few quid from Tom Waits Black Rider and Bone Machine Lps.
  • Options
    I used to have one of these

https://goo.gl/images/cWuNkd

had about 80 classic singles, well classic by my standard, that it could hold. Kept it in the studio I had at the time.

When I left I couldn't get anyone willing to take it down three flights of stairs, needed a crane, that I couldn't afford. So ended up leaving it at the studio.

Always regret it :(
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Saga Lout said:

Vinyl is the format that refuses to die! It's back - you can buy it in Sainsbury's. I've kept mine and the turntable to play it on. I'm delighted to see it making a comeback.

If you are thinking of selling, now is a good time, as the comeback may be short-lived. But there is as much chance that it won't be, in which case the only way is up (anyone got that on vinyl?).

I discovered, through years of collecting, that yer Beatles, Stones, Elvis, are not as valuable as people thing, as they sold in their millions. The records that do fetch money are any by the top artists that, for whatever reason, were not sold in their millions or are in some way different - miss-print on sleeve, first pressing, that sort of thing. Then you have records which:
    - feature certain artists when they were unknown,
    or
    - are rare records within a particular market - e.g. rare punk records or rare Motown

Since the advent of digital media, to be valuable, records have to be immaculate - younger collectors will not put up with less than 100%

Right, got to go - need to put on another one of my anoraks and put this one in the wash.

Vinyl will never die, at least from the collecting point of view. There is still a circle of people (mainly in the States) chasing early 1900 blues records. Northern Soul collecting has never been so popular. In the so called heyday you had thousands collecting in this country. You now have multi thousands all over the world buying.
    Obviously the Beatles Stones whoever who had hit after hit are practically worthless. You'll get the occasional item from the well known groups that will be worth money as you say, uk demo copies will nearly always be worth more than the issue no matter who it is & yes any odddity, mis print on label, even the wrong song playing on either side because of some malfunction at the pressing plant will all add to the value.
    If you want to go back to the 60s there were so many records being released in the main it was the tried & trusted bands beatles stones etc who all made the charts whereas there were brilliant records released by lesser knowns that never made it for whatever reason. These are the ones that are worth money.

Totally disagree with" to be valuable, records have to be immaculate - younger collectors will not put up with less than 100%" While we would all like our records to be immaculate often it just isn't possible.
    Going back to the Northern soul thing + the 60s so much released & only a certain amount can be hits thing, while you can still get hundreds mint/ex items of the easier to find stuff sometimes if you have been after a rarity for a number of years & one turns up you have a choice, go for that less than immaculate copy (& we're talking 50+ year old 45s) or risk never getting the chance again. For example 2 years ago a copy of Gwen Owens Just say you're wanted & needed Velgo w/d with a totally shagged label & only vg vinyl sold on ebay for $2,827 Most issues (which are rare themselves) are well known to have a fault which results in the record jumping. So do you wait for another demo in immaculate condition & probably pay double that value or jump in & buy for half price a copy that crackles a bit ? Or how about an even rarer item THE TOMANGOE'S I Really Love You WASHPAN which was VG+ & went for $7,078 ? Crazy money but if there's only a few known copies of an item, you really want it & you have the money, then you have to go for it when it's there. A crackle here & there on a 50 year old record is unfortunate but not totally unexpected really. You have to understand in the 60s a lot of local independent record labels were basically one man bands & could only get say 200 copies pressed up (& I know this for a fact) in the hope of getting some airplay & being picked up by a national label for release. Most of course sunk with out trace & over time copies get thrown away, broken etc & mainly forgotten ........... or at least until enterprising DJs / record dealers started going to the States looking for unknowns....but thats another story & like yours my anorak needs a rest :wink:
    I'm sorry you "totally disagree" with me! I don't "totally disagree" with you, in fact I would say you are right, in the circumstances you outline, where a record is ultra rare then condition may be less important, but for the less rare stuff condition is vital. You do give me hope that in among the 4,500 (approx) singles clogging up various spaces in my house is a single in shit condition that is worth 5 grand. The problem is a) finding it and b) recognising it!
    Apologies if you think I was being rude, that wasn't the intention.
    No worries - I was surprised that you used that expression when I think we have a similar take on the situation.
  • Options

I used to have one of these

https://goo.gl/images/cWuNkd

had about 80 classic singles, well classic by my standard, that it could hold. Kept it in the studio I had at the time.

When I left I couldn't get anyone willing to take it down three flights of stairs, needed a crane, that I couldn't afford. So ended up leaving it at the studio.

Always regret it :(

Still got my 1957 Wurlitzer, but haven't used it for about 6 months - need to load records onto it.
  • Options
    Got a load of hip hop, grunge and techno on vinyl and 2 technics 1210 decks. Always think about selling the decks but can't be bold enough to do it. It would be sacrilege to sell the vinyl.
  • Options
    Any recommendations for a good USB turntable?
  • Options
    Any considering chucking/selling vinyl albums/singles give me a shout, I'm not after anything to specific but have an interest in 60/70/80 stuff.
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Any recommendations for a good USB turntable?

Richer Sounds have a Sony PSLX 300 USB turntable for £79 currently, £30 off RRP.

Been using Richer Sounds for over 30 years, brilliant company imo.
  • Options
    Anyone with 60s & 70s stuff who wants to shift them, take them to the Shugahill cafe on Kirkdale by Cobbs Corner and talk to Chris.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I am looking to buy a 12" of thunderstruck and don't want to use ebay, do any of you wonderful lifers know of a decent/reliable website I can use?
    Much obliged BBB
  • Options
    I too am the proud owner of a technics SL and a shelf full of vinyl.
    Looking for a amp/fm/ DAB radio unit that I can plug my SL into.
    My old separates are well knackered.
    If It could also link phone/IPad with Bluetooth, then better still.
  • Options
    All my vinyl is from the late 80’s early nineties rave scene, bought from Black Market Records in Soho, noe Centreforce Radio is back on get to listen to a lot of them every day.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I can’t imagine many other people own this?

Who wants to start the bidding? Shall we say 5k?

EDIT just seen you can get it on discogs for £0.12...
  • Options

Done ... give me 5k and I’ll take it off your hands.
  • Options
    my father in law is sitting on a genuine goldmine of vinyl

He is up for selling it but for some reason regardless of the training I've given him will not use eBay. When he does finally do it (I do it for him) he will pull in a fortune. Amongst others he has a mint first edition of the white album with the 00 serial number on. Along with pretty much every meaningful LP from 1960 to 1988.

We bought him a new turntable a couple of Christmases ago but he refuses to play these genuine classics on it!
  • Options

EDIT just seen you can get it on discogs for £0.12...

Remember that one, ends earlier than anyone expected
  • Options
    Freecycle or similar sites are a good source of sound equipment. I picked up a Garrard 301deck a few years back plus several sets of speakers for nowt. Garrard needed mounting in a bit of plywood; sounds great, they go for hundreds on EBay!
  • Options

I am looking to buy a 12" of thunderstruck and don't want to use ebay, do any of you wonderful lifers know of a decent/reliable website I can use?
    Much obliged BBB

13 of them at Discogs.com as of now