Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Concorde Seen Over Yorkshire

13»

Comments

• Options

JohnBoyUK said:

Greenie said:

I think that the Spitfire, Harrier Jump Jet, and Concorde are arguably the most iconic aircraft in the world.
    They just look bloody great.

and the Vulcan Bomber, along with the Lancaster.
    ...and let's not forget the English Electric Lighting.
    Nor the Sopwith Camel.
    I am also fond of the Fairey Swordfish and the Short Sunderland flying boat....
  • Options
    and what about the much neglected Hurricane fighter ?
  • Options
    uie2 said:

I've been to Brooklands museum alot since 2012 , my son loves the place and walking under the Concorde gave me shivers done my spine! Anyone else been? It's in Weybridge

Been there a few times but not for a couple of years. It's a fantastic place and they've done a fair bit of work since I last visited. They've moved the old Wellington hangar and opened up the old finishing straight. Probably worth waiting until they've finished all the work before visiting again.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    McBobbin said:

Extra, Extra! Read all about it... cloud looks like thing that isn't a cloud!

Slow news day at the Beeb obviously.

Anyway, looks more like an SR-71 Blackbird than a Concorde.

I had a micro machine one of these. It had serious swapsie currency. I think I got some Garbage patch kids stickers, an eraser that looked and smelt of a lemon, and a ruler with a calculator in it
    Was a great card to hold in Top Trumps too.

I've been inside a Concorde (they have one parked up on the deck of the USS Intrepid in NYC). It's quite cramped, especially when you consider the cost of the flights. It was barely any better than economy on a non-budget airline. The cockpit was really cramped. It had such a limited market and the need to get across the Atlantic in such short time has been killed off by the Internet and the communications revolution.

It is sad that we haven't built anything faster than the Concorde or the Blackbird, but it's really not a case of not being able to, it's more that there just isn't the need and doing it just because we can isn't reason enough, unfortunately, and probably nor should it be until we have fixed a whole lot of other problems with the world.

Understandably the iconic aircraft chat has been quite anglo-centric, but a shout out too for the P-51 Mustang and the B52 Bomber.