Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who would have been our greatest player had they been in their prime?

13»

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:

Paolo di Canio was mindblowingly good to watch when he was 34. So much so that it is hard for me to imagine that not actually being his peak (even though I know it wasn't)

This was probably the first time I became aware of Di Canio, when he scored against AC Milan and made their defence look like utter mugs. And that was probably the best defence the footballing world has ever seen!

https://youtu.be/7UZpV9jsO_c
  • Options
    In my lifetime? Jorge costa. Ever? Simonsen no doubt about it.
  • Options
    There's one former Charlton player who hasn't had a mention so far, despite being an FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League winner.
  • Options
    Jonathan Spector
  • Options
    The only one that could be up there with simonsen is George Best but I don't think the OP was thinking of including Les Berrys testimonial as an appearance.
  • Options
    Watt
  • Options

In my lifetime? Jorge costa. Ever? Simonsen no doubt about it.

Costa was largely good. I do remember That little lad from Walsall running rings around him, however. If the argument is that we didn't see his prime, he won the champions league after he left
  • Options
    Allan Simonsen, Ballon d'Or winner 1977, ahead of Keegan and Platini

That shows the level of player he was
  • Options
    Chizz said:

There's one former Charlton player who hasn't had a mention so far, despite being an FA Cup, Premier League and Champions League winner.

Jasper?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Chizz said:

Jasper?
    Jesper!

:wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Someone with the squad number 1, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17,19, 23, 29, 31 etc.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

• Options
    @RodneyCharltonTrotta .. the first 2 words you typed on this post .. John Barnes
  • Options
    Simonsen. Just remember the only reason he was available was that Barcelona, the reigning European Cup Winners Cup holders, signed some guy called Maradona.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Chizz said:

Traore?

Edit: of course he didn't win the Prem.
  • Options
    Simmo without doubt.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Isn't 2 a prime number?

Simmonsen.. Easily.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Someone with the squad number 1,2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17,19, 23, 29, 31 etc.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Simonsen was class, but I'd go for Class Jensen. I think Rufus was a good call though - so underated as a player. Not by us of course. Best centre half never to have played for England and I think he would have been great against international defences.

Players who I didn't see play - Eddie Firmani played for Italy! Don Welch, Sam Bartram - all must be in with a shout. And I know it was a testimonial, but I did see George Best play for Charlton. He had retired and I hadn't seen him live, but he was even better than I was told he was!
  • Options
    How about Stephan Andersen in goal?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some people are missing the original question......many of the players being mentioned were actually 'with us' in their prime.
  • Options
    http://footage.framepool.com/en/search/eddie+firmani/

This isn't easy to sort out, but there is a bit of Firmani here.
  • Options
    Leary for me but Firmani was great
  • Options
    Simonsen
  • Options
    Dennis Rommedahl should have been a great signing but never lived up to his potential
  • Options
    Barnes or Simmonsen are way above Di Canio for me.
  • Options
    Simonsen or Barnes. Both could score goals out of nothing, create goals and excite when they were on the ball.
  • Options

Colin Pates or Jorge Costa

I think to be fair, Colin Pates was probably at his best when he played for us (hence Arsenal signing him). Superb player.

• Options
    Simmo best player Ive ever been privileged to see playing for Charlton.
    Never forget when he tore Chelsea to shreds at the Valley.
    Sadly the rest of the team just couldnt keep up with his passing skills.