Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Banksy - Genius? Or over rated. CL Art Judges Decide

Comments

• Options

He's no Neil Buchanan

Neither was Neil Buchanan
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I think his stuff is OK, certainly better than any of the so called art that is in the Turner Contemporary in Margate.
  • Options
    shine166 said:

How the hell did he paint it in one night and not get seen/caught?

The erect a scaff and work under a tarp, just looks like general building work that way
    Cheers
  • Options
    he's a very talented cartoonist
  • Options
    Deserves a lol
  • Options
    Did he do the 'Roland out' in Floyd Rd?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He's no Neil Buchanan

Luckily he's no Rolf Harris either.
  • Options
    banksy might be well known but he is no modern art genius like this:

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Oh for fuck sake. The usual suspects will all say he's a twat. The slightly smarter ones will say he's a successful con artist and good for him fooling all of those Guardian readers. Another lot will celebrate his sense of humour and the other other lot will say he isn't left wing enough and he sold out to global capitalism.

And you'd all be right.
  • Options
    Record price for one of his works.

£9.9m for Devolved Parliament last night. 

He said said Shame he doesn’t still own it ! 

• Options
    How can he be anonymous?

surely you can just follow the money. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    How can he be anonymous?

Follow the money?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options
    He made nealy 600k from that sale in artist royalties. 
  • Options
    I find it more difficult to understand how he's remained anonymous after spending 3 odd weeks at a time on a scaffold while doing a 10m x 10m piece of graffiti. Don't no one see him come down for a cuppa tea or a lemon???
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    How can he be anonymous?

Follow the money?
    So he sells one of his pieces. 
    Someone pays money somewhere. 
    Even if to a company, that company has got to have owners / directors etc 
    the money must be declared somewhere. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I find it more difficult to understand how he's remained anonymous after spending 3 odd weeks at a time on a scaffold while doing a 10m x 10m piece of graffiti. Don't no one see him come down for a cuppa tea or a lemon???
    The picture that has just been sold is a canvas, not painted on the side of a building.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    How can he be anonymous?

Follow the money?
    Okay, go on then 😉
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    MrOneLung said:
    How can he be anonymous?

Follow the money?
    He is not wanted for a crime (despite what some might think), how would anyone other than the police/tax man have the authority to find out about an individual's finances?   

See the Panama papers for how money is hidden (or read Private Eye). :o  
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Think I'm right in saying that things get bought and sold anonymously all the time at these big auction houses and I don't think Banksy's ID is a massive secret in the right circles anyway. If someone really really wanted to know who s/he was, they could find out easy enough
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Think his recent classic large oil painting on canvass of a full House of Commons depicting the 600-odd chimpanzees in full howl is brilliant. It should have been bought for the nation and hung at Westminster.
  • Options
    Think his recent classic large oil painting on canvass of a full House of Commons depicting the 600-odd chimpanzees in full howl is brilliant. It should have been bought for the nation and hung at Westminster.
    Next to some of the politicians it depicts
  • Options
    edited October 2019

£9.9 million?!

Ok.

*makes note to go into loft later to dig out monkey pics I drew as a child*
  • Options
    Think I'm right in saying that things get bought and sold anonymously all the time at these big auction houses and I don't think Banksy's ID is a massive secret in the right circles anyway. If someone really really wanted to know who s/he was, they could find out easy enough

Agreed, his identity is known by many - how could it not?

In my opinion he is one of the finest artists alive today and will be (if he isn't already) a figure covered in all Art History degrees for decades, even centuries.

• Options
    edited October 2019
  • Options

Anybody with a genuine interest in this should check out 'Graffiti Wars', made by Channel 4.

It shows the battle between Banksy and another artist by the name of King Robbo who has now sadly passed.

Won't say too much but for anybody that has a remote interest in Banksy or graffiti, should definitely check it out.